2017 Explorer Keyless Code Craziness | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer Keyless Code Craziness

doctauri

Reaction score
City, State
Patuxent River, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer
So I just traded in my 2014 Explorer Limited for a 2017 Explorer Limited. On the 2014 I had set the keyless entry code with no problem, however the 2017 is driving me nuts.

I followed the same instructions as the 2014 (which are the instructions written in the manual for the 2017), but it will not let me set a 5 digit code. It DOES however take it as a 7 digit code!?

To clarify
1: Enter factory code
2: Press 1/2 and doors lock and unlock (enters programming mode)
3: Enter new 5 digit code of "13579"
4: Press 1/2 (this is supposed to do the same as #2, to signify code accepted, but nothing happens)
5: Press 1/2 again, still nothing
6: Press 1/2 again, this time the doors lock and unlock to exit programming mode.

Test and sure enough, my new code is now "1357911", I enter that code and my Explorer unlocks (but not until I enter that last "1")!

WTF? I even took it back to my salesman who initially thought I just didn't do it right, sure enough, same results for him, and the other two salesmen he brought out.

So now, I have a service appointment for Aug. 1 (heck, it only has 300 miles on it), but just curious if anyone else has run into this, or if by chance any Ford service techs happen to read this forum and might shed some light on this?

Thanks!

Back