How to: - 2017 Explorer - Replacing front camera | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 2017 Explorer - Replacing front camera

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

Teamfox201

Reaction score
City, State
Orange, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 Ford Explorer LTD
I got some road gravel indents in the lens of my front camera. I bought a replacement camera but I can't seen to find instructions for removing the front camera.

Does anyone have any instructions, videos, tips? I'm hoping this doesn't involve removing the front bumper .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To answer my own question, looks like it's held in place by one torx screw.

I inserted my camera phone through the grill and there's enough room to sticks my hands through to move the camera around and see what's back there.

Time to get creative and see how I can remove that screw without taking the bumper off .

Attached are pics of what the back looks like...I took video with my phone but then screen captured the main parts so it has a play button...sorry.

Screenshot_20180128-200317.png
Screenshot_20180128-200233.png

I found a way to do it without removing the bumper...I will put a write up together for my process but if anyone has questions in the mean time...please let me know.

I found a way to do it without removing the bumper...I will put a write up together for my process but if anyone has questions in the mean time...please let me know.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
So far I believe you are the only one to unfortunately have experienced this issue. Thanks for posting and good luck.

Peter

Same, I've not seen this with other members. WSM tells you to take off the bumper but other than that's pretty plain as day. That torx and if memory serves a couple of screws on the sides for the bracket holding it in.

Same, I've not seen this with other members. WSM tells you to take off the bumper but other than that's pretty plain as day. That torx and if memory serves a couple of screws on the sides for the bracket holding it in.

I was able to stick my hands through the grill on both sides and using a 3mm allen key (yup allen fit perfectly in the torx screw hole), I was able to remove the one screw and take the camera out. Luckily the screw sits deep enough after its unscrewed that it does not fall down so you can pinch it with your finger to remove.

Not sure how much this is needed and it may vary on the grill you have installed, but I was thinking of making a 3D printed tool that would make this process easier without having to remove the grill...again so far I seem to be the only one on the internet with this issue since I couldn't find anyone showing how to do it without removing the bumper.

I have come to find out the buying crap "OEM" cameras off eBay was a mistake, replacement camera does not have the 180 degree split screen view even though I was told that was a feature of the car not camera. Part number matched exactly to what I bought but does not appear to be a Ford camera or even that works like the Ford one.

I got some road gravel indents in the lens of my front camera. I bought a replacement camera but I can't seen to find instructions for removing the front camera.

Does anyone have any instructions, videos, tips? I'm hoping this doesn't involve removing the front bumper .
The washer hose fell off the services the front camera, Ford dealer removed the front bumper.

Front camera is inop....I bought a replacement from Ford.

Which grill do you have?

I was able to stick my hands through the grill on both sides and using a 3mm allen key (yup allen fit perfectly in the torx screw hole), I was able to remove the one screw and take the camera out. Luckily the screw sits deep enough after its unscrewed that it does not fall down so you can pinch it with your finger to remove.

Not sure how much this is needed and it may vary on the grill you have installed, but I was thinking of making a 3D printed tool that would make this process easier without having to remove the grill...again so far I seem to be the only one on the internet with this issue since I couldn't find anyone showing how to do it without removing the bumper.

I have come to find out the buying crap "OEM" cameras off eBay was a mistake, replacement camera does not have the 180 degree split screen view even though I was told that was a feature of the car not camera. Part number matched exactly to what I bought but does not appear to be a Ford camera or even that works like the Ford one.

Front camera is inop....I bought a replacement from Ford.

Which grill do you have?

The standard that comes on the 2017 Limited. Used the black grill / vent above the license plate not the silver one with the Ford logo.

It appears as though the camera is in some type of plastic housing.... can you tell me, step-by-step, what I need to do?

60351F22-B235-4468-A6D2-A75C6CEA35F4.jpeg

That appears to be a clip, but I do not want to break anything.

9DF041C7-3D07-46E0-9DA4-B469FF665F9B.png

Ill upload a video shortly. I took off my camera just to record this. :)

How did you get the wiring harness to release from the back of the camera?

I know you explained it in the video, but I would appreciate a little bit more detail.

As you can see, I used a mirror to see the camera back.

AE1B40BD-36E4-48D8-A0EF-8989F1D29327.jpeg

How did you get the wiring harness to release from the back of the camera?

As you can see, I used a mirror to see the camera back.

Push down on that clip on the right (in the mirror image) and pull the cable.

IMG_20190831_174239.jpg

Looking at the video, it appears that you have to push down on that clip to release the cable and it looks like the piece is vertical since the clip seems to be part of it.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

success!

Even though I bought my camera brand new from a Ford dealership....the 180 degree split screen view is inop.

When I push the front camera button once, I get the picture shown below. When I press it again, nothing happens....when I press the third time it takes me back to my home screen.

847CBAAC-0B60-41CE-82F4-27ECC3EF2DF9.jpeg

151B9E67-1DA4-4093-B94C-A8E7BC5F0D6A.jpeg

56D7FD39-D1DA-418E-8FBF-4144F5F06D64.jpeg

Back