• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer Sport shifting hard

Shane Turner

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer sport
I have a 2017 Explorer Sport with 33k miles on it. My wife and I just noticed its shifting hard around 40 mph. It seems to do it when taking off easy and its normally from 4th to 5th gear. Seems to do it when the Explorer has been sitting a while. And more from stop light to stop light driving. Anyone ever experience this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Shane.:wave:
There are several threads about different types of "hard shifting". My suggestion would be to take it to your dealer since it is under warranty. Have you checked the transmission fluid level?

Peter

Could be low fluid or any number of things - worn valve body, bad solenoid, bad internal parts, needs reprogram/update, etc... most of which will not set mil/codes. Good luck.

Ford is not known for smooth transmissions. Have 2010 f150 rental with 10sp... transmission gears hangs like nobodies business, like an old ax4s.

I have a 2017 Explorer Limited V6 (no turbo, no ecoboost) with about 71,100 miles on it that is experiencing a hard shift between 1st and 2nd gear almost every time. It happens most times at low speeds, rolling speeds, and first time out of a parking space or driveway. It also happens at times when quick surge of acceleration is needed; for example, a slow roll through intersection and then need to speed up quickly. It started around June of 2019 (50,000 miles) and I brought to the dealer. They did experience it, but said without any codes or errors showing they would just be guessing and didn't want to recommend any fixes.

The frequency has increased and it happens now almost every time after initial startup and in all weather conditions. Now (April 2021) I brought it back to the same dealer to see if they could check the transmission fluid levels and test drive it again and this time they told me I need a new transmission. No codes are showing still but this time they say they diagnosed it and "its something inside the transmission". I also took it to a second dealer for them to diagnose it and they tell me they cannot determine what is causing the problem and replacing the transmission may or may not fix it.

Also worth noting: I park in a driveway with slight incline, front end up (maybe 3 to 4 degrees) and after I back out of the drive way I drive down a long gradual hill until I reach a stop sign. The first hard shift always happens at that stop sign. I try letting the car sit idle for about 30 seconds before starting out to let it remember the shift points but that doesn't seem to help. I've also followed instructions to remove power and reset the shift points. This seemed to help at first but eventually the hard shift returns. I bought the car used and it was a fleet vehicle before me. But this issue did not happen immediately.

Is there any way I can be sure that replacing the transmission is the right way to fix this?

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I believe some members have had good results with a transmission fluid change. Not saying that will cure the problem but that would be much cheaper than a new transmission if you're trying to rule out certain things.

Peter

Having the same issue but in my case I changed the fluid after feeling some slightly hard shifting and it fixed the issue temporarily. Took a 3hr trip which had some steep climbs which overheated the transmission and the wrench light came on. Stopped at a local shop who stated that it was probably just the steep incline with the transmission switching gears constantly. We let the transmission cool at a rest stop for a few and the light went out. This only happens now when on the highway on long inclines. It seems to me that during the fluid change it may have flushed some debrie into the drive gears causing the problem. This may be the end of this transmission I guess. Any thoughts?

Having the same issue but in my case I changed the fluid after feeling some slightly hard shifting and it fixed the issue temporarily. Took a 3hr trip which had some steep climbs which overheated the transmission and the wrench light came on. Stopped at a local shop who stated that it was probably just the steep incline with the transmission switching gears constantly. We let the transmission cool at a rest stop for a few and the light went out. This only happens now when on the highway on long inclines. It seems to me that during the fluid change it may have flushed some debrie into the drive gears causing the problem. This may be the end of this transmission I guess. Any thoughts?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I don't think a simple drain and fill would cause any internal "debris" to move around as a flush would. How many miles are on the vehicle?

Peter

Did you check the fluid level? Also you need to do at least 3 drain and fills to get a majority of new fluid in there.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I don't think a simple drain and fill would cause any internal "debris" to move around as a flush would. How many miles are on the vehicle?

Peter

I'm curious as to the process for the 3 cycles of draining and refilling you are referring too.

I'm curious as to the process for the 3 cycles of draining and refilling you are referring too.
This isn't addressed to me but I believe you just drain and fill it 3 times the way you did it initially. What I'm not sure about is whether it is best to do a short drive in between fills.

Peter

I'll let you guys know if this fixes the issue.

I have a 2017 Explorer Limited V6 (no turbo, no ecoboost) with about 71,100 miles on it that is experiencing a hard shift between 1st and 2nd gear almost every time. It happens most times at low speeds, rolling speeds, and first time out of a parking space or driveway. It also happens at times when quick surge of acceleration is needed; for example, a slow roll through intersection and then need to speed up quickly. It started around June of 2019 (50,000 miles) and I brought to the dealer. They did experience it, but said without any codes or errors showing they would just be guessing and didn't want to recommend any fixes.

The frequency has increased and it happens now almost every time after initial startup and in all weather conditions. Now (April 2021) I brought it back to the same dealer to see if they could check the transmission fluid levels and test drive it again and this time they told me I need a new transmission. No codes are showing still but this time they say they diagnosed it and "its something inside the transmission". I also took it to a second dealer for them to diagnose it and they tell me they cannot determine what is causing the problem and replacing the transmission may or may not fix it.

Also worth noting: I park in a driveway with slight incline, front end up (maybe 3 to 4 degrees) and after I back out of the drive way I drive down a long gradual hill until I reach a stop sign. The first hard shift always happens at that stop sign. I try letting the car sit idle for about 30 seconds before starting out to let it remember the shift points but that doesn't seem to help. I've also followed instructions to remove power and reset the shift points. This seemed to help at first but eventually the hard shift returns. I bought the car used and it was a fleet vehicle before me. But this issue did not happen immediately.

Is there any way I can be sure that replacing the transmission is the right way to fix this?

I have 2017 Limited with 116k miles. I have the same clunk when shifting from 1st to 2nd. It's actually a common issue and I've read that it's just transmission design flaw and there is nothing to be done about it. Mine always seems to happen when I am moving at very slow speeds in parking lots.

If you haven't already, I highly suggest you change out the transmission fluid every 30k miles with Motorcraft Mercon LV. I put in a teeny weeny amount more fluid than what was drained this last time I did it and it seemed to help with the harsh 1st gear shifting. It still happens randomly but doesn't feel so harsh anymore.

I have 2017 Limited with 116k miles. I have the same clunk when shifting from 1st to 2nd. It's actually a common issue and I've read that it's just transmission design flaw and there is nothing to be done about it. Mine always seems to happen when I am moving at very slow speeds in parking lots.

I had a 2017 Platinum and never experienced that issue.
BTW, the member you responded to was last seen here on April 25, 2021, so likely isn't following any longer.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same issue. I did have my entire transmission replaced and it’s still doing that weird thing you are all experiencing. Usually stop light to stop light. Or slow rolling on the pedal. Seems like a very common flaw. My dealership said no codes are popping up and a tune up is not needed. The trans is replaced because it did need that. I didn’t have to pay for it thank god for warranty’s. Mine is 2017 limited with 102k miles. Was a fleet car before me.

Back