2017 Ford Explorer Driver Side Humming Noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Ford Explorer Driver Side Humming Noise

tigerman88

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer XLT
My Ford Explorer is a little over a year old. A couple of months ago it started making this "humming noise" from the front drivers side when the engine is turned on. The humming noise volume and pitch stay constant regardless of engine RPM, radio on/off or whether the vehicle is parked or in motion. It is definitely an electronic humming noise and sounds very similar to an old fluorescent light hum. The humming stops the moment the engine is turned off. My Explorer does not have the electric inverter that is responsible for the humming noise in other Explorer models.

Here is a video/audio of the humming noise:

If anyone has any ideas as to what is causing this humming/buzzing noise please post your thoughts!
TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it do it with key on, engine off?

OK, thanks for confirming. It sounded suspiciously similar to the fan that runs near the IPC and wanted to eliminate it.

My Ford Explorer is a little over a year old. A couple of months ago it started making this "humming noise" from the front drivers side when the engine is turned on. The humming noise volume and pitch stay constant regardless of engine RPM, radio on/off or whether the vehicle is parked or in motion. It is definitely an electronic humming noise and sounds very similar to an old fluorescent light hum. The humming stops the moment the engine is turned off. My Explorer does not have the electric inverter that is responsible for the humming noise in other Explorer models.

If anyone has any ideas as to what is causing this humming/buzzing noise please post your thoughts!
TIA
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Have you had the hood open when this is happening? Perhaps something in the engine bay is vibrating.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Have you had the hood open when this is happening? Perhaps something in the engine bay is vibrating.

Peter

I've opened the hood and you don't hear the noise outside of the car - only inside the car. It's definitely an electronic kind of hum/buzz and does not sound mechanical in nature. Sounds like it is coming from behind the drivers dashboard...

Regarding post #4, there is a fan behind the picture below but it was dismissed as being the cause because you didn't hear the noise with just the key in the accessory position. Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to just put your ear to that spot to make sure. I don't know what else there is on the driver's side that could cause the humming noise.
NOTE: the picture is from my 2011 Explorer.

Peter

P1190047a.jpg

The only other thing--alternator causing some kind of electrical noise/impact through the rest of the vehicle. Only thing else spinning with the engine that I can think of.

Regarding post #4, there is a fan behind the picture below but it was dismissed as being the cause because you didn't hear the noise with just the key in the accessory position. Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to just put your ear to that spot to make sure. I don't know what else there is on the driver's side that could cause the humming noise.
NOTE: the picture is from my 2011 Explorer.

Peter

View attachment 155633

Peter - I believe the noise is coming from that exact spot on the dash. I stand corrected from my earlier post as the humming noise is happening in the accessory position without the engine running. When I finally cut all power the humming slowly winds down to where it stops - as if it were a fan coming to a halt. I've been trying to find a Ford diagram for this part of the dash to confirm that there is a fan behind this little grill area. If you (or anyone else) knows the name of this fan/part please let me know because I believe this is the root cause of the noise.

The dealer has looked at this thing 3 times and has not been able to come up with a solution. They are supposedly contacting "big Ford" to have someone come to my town to look at this. After seeing your post and hearing this noise "wind down" once all power is shut off, I really think it could be a fan - just can't seem to find anything that documents a fan being in that particular spot on the car.

Some keywords for that part: internal/cabin temperature and humidity sensor.

Not sure of the EXACT but those words should get you close on the parts site.

Peter - I believe the noise is coming from that exact spot on the dash. I stand corrected from my earlier post as the humming noise is happening in the accessory position without the engine running. When I finally cut all power the humming slowly winds down to where it stops - as if it were a fan coming to a halt. I've been trying to find a Ford diagram for this part of the dash to confirm that there is a fan behind this little grill area. If you (or anyone else) knows the name of this fan/part please let me know because I believe this is the root cause of the noise.

The dealer has looked at this thing 3 times and has not been able to come up with a solution. They are supposedly contacting "big Ford" to have someone come to my town to look at this. After seeing your post and hearing this noise "wind down" once all power is shut off, I really think it could be a fan - just can't seem to find anything that documents a fan being in that particular spot on the car.
Could not find anything in the Ford parts site I use but here is a previous post on the issue; Fan Behind Steering Wheel

Peter

I have confirmed this climate sensor fan is the problem. Once the humming noise was going, I stuck a tooth pick through the grate to stop the fan from spinning and the noise stopped. Removed the toothpick to allow the fan to turn and the humming noise returned. I contacted the Ford dealer and hope to have the sensor replaced this week. Found a short video of this sensor (or one very similar) pulled from the dash of a Ford Focus that is making this humming/buzzing noise:

Many thanks to all who contributed to this thread!

I have a 2017 explorer and it seems the interior climate sensor (3 slats above push on/off button) is bad. It’s making a electronic buzzing sound, is constant while the car is on/running and doesn’t turn off when ac/heat system is turned off. Has anyone had to replace this or had this issue too? I’m trying to bypass the dealer if it’s something I can fix.

I have a 2017 explorer and it seems the interior climate sensor (3 slats above push on/off button) is bad. It’s making a electronic buzzing sound, is constant while the car is on/running and doesn’t turn off when ac/heat system is turned off. Has anyone had to replace this or had this issue too? I’m trying to bypass the dealer if it’s something I can fix.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one on the same issue.

Peter

Back