2018 Ambient Lighting | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 Ambient Lighting

I just bought a 2018 Limited and just noticed that the ambient lighting only works in the front door handles. I can adjust the color and everything via the Sync 3 system though. It's just that the floor and the console dont light up. Can someone post a pic on what a 2018 limited is supposed to look like with the ambient lighting? I am still under factory warranty, just want to be prepared for the dealing with the service department.

Hi, Im having the same issue with my 2018 Explorer Limited. Any new information would be greatly appreciated. TXS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, Im having the same issue with my 2018 Explorer Limited. Any new information would be greatly appreciated. TXS
Welcome to the Forum Bill.:wave:
I sent a PM to the member to please post any updates he may have. If you have it checked by the dealer, please post a follow-up. Thanks.

Peter

Hey all, I just bought an 18' Sport as well in Michigan (I live in Wisconsin) anyways drove it home today and noticed I only have the ambient lighting on the front door handles as well. I'm gonna call the dealer on Monday, not a show stopper but I loved the ambient lighting on the 15' Fusion T that I traded in. I'm ok if the bottom doors aren't lit anymore (I guess, seems silly to me why not) but so long as the foot wells are lit, cup holders and the back of the front council should be. I also have the clear LED crystals on the bottom of the cup holders that don't light. In fact I looked for the LED's in the spots and I see them in the back of the front council but they don't turn on but I can't spot them in the bottom of the doors. I promise I'll get back with and answer from the dealer. Aside from the LED's I LOVE this thing, it's pretty f'ing sweet. :) Hopefully we can figure this out!

Welcome to the Forum Brad.:wave:
Please report back after your dealer visit.

Peter

Hello,

I guess I will pile into this thread also if no one minds. We just bought a 2018 Limited and I am trying to figure out if the rear door handles should be illuminated like the fronts are by ambient lights? I have tried a few searches but this thread is really all I can seem to find. If Ford did indeed decide to light those handles it seems a bit foolish because my 2015 F150 has it and it is nice for the kids at night. TIA.

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I can't really comment on the question since I no longer have an Explorer but I know that having owned 2 before, I don't believe the latest, a 2017 Platinum had lighting in the rear door handles.

Peter

Thank you for that info and I never remember to check during the day to see if there are and LEDs anywhere in the area.

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I can't really comment on the question since I no longer have an Explorer but I know that having owned 2 before, I don't believe the latest, a 2017 Platinum had lighting in the rear door handles.

Peter

Are your headlights on and a color turned on via SYNC3?

Hello,

I guess I will pile into this thread also if no one minds. We just bought a 2018 Limited and I am trying to figure out if the rear door handles should be illuminated like the fronts are by ambient lights? I have tried a few searches but this thread is really all I can seem to find. If Ford did indeed decide to light those handles it seems a bit foolish because my 2015 F150 has it and it is nice for the kids at night. TIA.

I just went out to check mine. No ambient lighting in the rear door handles.

Any time.
Hey all, I just got the email on this thread from long ago. Not sure if I ever replied with my resolution. Warranty ended up replacing the wiring harness for the ambient lighting I guess. They also replaced the HVAC display module in the back of the council for the rear seat controls (where you adjust temp etc) Everything has been working great ever since, very odd issue to have, I bought it used with 6,000mi on it over in Michigan (came out of Canada) Anyways we love it and have a bit over 30,000mi on it now. Not sure if this will help anyone out or not. (It's a 2018 Sport)

So you have ambient lighting in the rear door handles?

So you have ambient lighting in the rear door handles?
No sorry if I interjected in to the conversation. I had no ambient lighting at all it was completely broken. Now I have front doors, cup holders, front foot well and back council. Let me know if you have any other questions!! (no rear door handles)

It ended up being a wiring harness in the center console that was replaced. (At least that is what the dealership told me.)

I just bought a 2018 Limited and just noticed that the ambient lighting only works in the front door handles. I can adjust the color and everything via the Sync 3 system though. It's just that the floor and the console dont light up. Can someone post a pic on what a 2018 limited is supposed to look like with the ambient lighting? I am still under factory warranty, just want to be prepared for the dealing with the service department.
I don't have a limited (have a sport) but I'm pretty sure you should have under dash lighting and lights on the back of the front council (by the rear heat controls) I'll try to take a pick for you. If you look in the cup holders there will be clear circles at the bottom of them. Those are the lights, my harness for the council was bad (per dealer) and they said they also replaced the rear council Control panel (where the rear heat controls are)

I have the same issue , did you come up with a fix?

Hey Knip,

I don't have a picture right now, and my wife isn't home sorry. My dealer had to replace the harness for the ambient lighting and the rear console instrument panel. Who's to say that the rear console panel was really bad but, the only lights I had were I believe the same as you. (I think the front doors were all that lit up) When it's working it will be well lit up, the front floor is bright, the rear floor gets lit up bright with small LEDs on the rear console by the HVAC control (lights are not under the seat) also my cup holder LEDs were not working and they should have a ring around the bottom. Look really nice when it's working, we haven't had a problem since. I'm wondering if they had some bad harness' in 2018 as mine is a 2018 sport. All light mentioned will change color with the Sync control. However when the door is opened I think the lights go blue in the console area (don't quote me on that) If you need a pic let me know I can try to get one for you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same issue , did you come up with a fix?
Kdouget let us know if you can't see our posts, all has been good since the wiring harness and the rear console HVAC was replaced. Again better explaination if prior posts.

Back