2018 Explorer antenna | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 Explorer antenna

blockhard

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2017 Platinum
i was driving home today and notice the 2018 explorer antenna. Looks like going backward in design. Can anyone explain why they went with the antenna that sticks out like it does in the picture? Is it the cellular antenna for the FordPass connect and the cellular hotspot?

4C4A88F7-AF11-4A50-AF39-B181166A391C.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Although I haven't seen anything official on the redesign I'm guessing it has to do with 4G access. Also, in addition to Sirius/XM and AM/FM the roof antenna now also incorporates the GPS antenna which was previously mounted under the dash.
EDIT: The interior gains a 4G LTE modem and Wi-Fi hotspot.

Peter

I saw this same thing the other day and wondered as well.

Seems kind of odd, I know a good bit about antenna design from my line of work and it confuses me a bit that Ford didn't do a bit more research and development on this. People who design antennas for this kind of stuff are amazing at hiding them in very nice compact housings, but perhaps they went for a more conventional design due to design/budget constraints?

Regardless the 2018 models are sharp.

I saw this same thing the other day and wondered as well.

Seems kind of odd, I know a good bit about antenna design from my line of work and it confuses me a bit that Ford didn't do a bit more research and development on this. People who design antennas for this kind of stuff are amazing at hiding them in very nice compact housings, but perhaps they went for a more conventional design due to design/budget constraints?

Regardless the 2018 models are sharp.
Welcome to the Forum Jack.:wave:

Peter

The long antenna is for FM radio reception. I couldn’t get any of the far stations without it on. The problem is the antenna is so long that I can’t get into my garage without risking breaking it.

The long antenna is for FM radio reception. I couldn’t get any of the far stations without it on. The problem is the antenna is so long that I can’t get into my garage without risking breaking it.
Is it not possible to retract the garage door any further? I had that issue with my 2011 hitting the open door but I was able to adjust the opener so it pulled the door back further.

Peter

I have the same issue- fitting into the garage- I don't care much about radio, but I do care about GPS. I was considering trading in my '16 Ex LTD on a newer model, but this means I womwo be able to park it in the (outdated small-sized) garage. This is disappointing. I'm sure lots of buyers don't have this concern. But, it will cause me to hold off and see what happens next year.

Is it not possible to retract the garage door any further? I had that issue with my 2011 hitting the open door but I was able to adjust the opener so it pulled the door back further.

Peter

Nope, I have a short garage.

I have the same issue- fitting into the garage- I don't care much about radio, but I do care about GPS. I was considering trading in my '16 Ex LTD on a newer model, but this means I womwo be able to park it in the (outdated small-sized) garage. This is disappointing. I'm sure lots of buyers don't have this concern. But, it will cause me to hold off and see what happens next year.

I use Waze thru applink, so I don’t know if it affects GPS.

I believe the GPS antenna is in the base along with the satellite antenna. I believe the reason the longer antenna is for AM/FM and the Sync Connect (cellular). The Am/FM antenna on previous models was much shorter. You could always take a newer model on a test drive and have the long antenna unscrewed from the base and see if it affects the GPS or not.

Peter

Hi folks,

I have the antenna-garage issue with my explorer 18, so I took it off a couple of days after purchasing the car. The good news is both the GPS and the radio worked just fine. Although the radio seems to work better with some stations with the antenna on, but overall there’s no big difference.

Has anyone found a pure (no antenna mast) shark fin cover to go over the 2018 antenna...when the mast is removed of course.

Has anyone found a pure (no antenna mast) shark fin cover to go over the 2018 antenna...when the mast is removed of course.
I believe the aftermarket shark fin antennas that members have added to the earlier models were the same size as the OEM one. Also, I'm not aware of anyone that has installed a "cover".

Peter

I believe the aftermarket shark fin antennas that members have added to the earlier models were the same size as the OEM one. Also, I'm not aware of anyone that has installed a "cover".

Peter

In other posts I’ve seen, on earlier model explorers, the shark fin cover has a wire that connects in place of the removed mast and is then mounted over the oem antenna. They are common, but I haven’t found one for the 2018...yet.

Like the one in this thread: Shark fin Antenna Install + Pics

Okay, I see now. For some reason I thought you wanted one to cover the existing shark fin once the stick portion was removed. Just curious why you would want that? Problems with it hitting the garage door? I'm not sure if you went to a shark fin to replace the current setup if you would retain its functionality. I don't know what the 2019 has. Looking at the Ford website there are pictures with the regular shark fin and some with the fin and stick antenna combo like the 2018.

Peter

Peter,

Your comment "For some reason I thought you wanted one to cover the existing shark fin once the stick portion was removed." is precisely what I'm looking to do and is what is described in the thread I mentioned.

As for why I want to put something over the oem antenna...a picture is worth a thousand words:

IMG_1419.jpg

Car wash assault. I was able to reattach (with adhesive/glue) the cover over the antenna, but I want to put one of those shark fin antennas/covers over everything.

0086AA09-1439-44A0-A0F8-6F57175A39F8.jpeg

Found a cover to go over the stock 2018 shark fin...minus the antenna mast of course.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back