Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2018 Explorer Sport - Towing a Travel Trailer

Discussion in 'Tow Rig Forum' started by jbb0177, February 5, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Tim Desmond

Tim Desmond New Member

City, State:
      Clemmons, NC
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      We have a 2017 Explorer Platinum - same power train as the Sport I believe - I'm towing a Keystone Passport 199ml - Dry Weight 3505. We don't pack much and only roll with a few gallons in the fresh water tank. Using a Tekonsha brake controller - they have a pigtail that plugs right in to the connector under the dash (hard to find but it's there). Using a weight distributing hitch.I always run in tow mode and the manual recommends high test so I go with that. No problems running up and down the mountains in western North Carolina / Southwest Virginia.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. SRTthis

SRTthis New Member

City, State:
      Edgewood Maryland
      2015 EcoBeast Sport
      where are you guys mounting your brake controllers? ive been looking at my dash and really dont see a good spot for one.

4. EcoHell

EcoHell Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Babylon, NY
      2018 Ford Explorer Sport
      Don't mean to hijack this thread...but you are talking about a 2018 Sport. I have a question. If I have a Livernois Motorsports Tune, adding another 80whp and 100wtq. Does this increase my towing capacity? I have a deal on a car trailer for towing my Porsche. Twin axles with brakes. I believe the weight of the trailer is 2300 pounds and my Porsche is 3500 pounds. Thanks in advance for your responses.

5. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      It won’t increase your capacity. It doesn’t beef up your transmission, cooling, axles, or breaking capacity.

6. lainalex

lainalex New Member

2018 Ford Explorer XLT
    7. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
      Are you asking for opinions on the Airstream or the towing? If you have a factory Class III hitch then I don't think it should be an issue. It is well with the 5000 lb towing capacity but a weight distribution hitch is recommended for towing over 2000 lbs.

Peter

8. lainalex

lainalex New Member

2018 Ford Explorer XLT
      Sorry, yes in terms of towing. It just seems like a little back and forth on this thread about items between 3 and 5000lb.

9. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      The Explorer with the factory installed Class III towing package is rated for 5000 lbs. With an aftermarket towing package, even if it's a Class III, the rating drops to 2000 lbs. Have a look at page 30 of the towing guide; https://www.ford.ca/cmslibs/content...uides/pdf/RV_Trailer_Towing_Guide_EN_2018.PDF

Peter

10. Peanutflyer

Peanutflyer New Member

City, State:
      South Florida
      2018 Explorer 3.5 eb.
      New member! Add a bit to the thread.

Looking for mpg averages for people towing travel trailers with 2018 explorer sport 3.5 eco boost with factory class 3 hitch.

We were looking to buy a travel trailer in the 3000-3500lb range and thought renting first would be a good idea.

We rented a R-Pod 3200lbs wet. We only got 8.5 mpg @ 55 and 7.5mpg @ 65mph. I knew it would be bad but that’s really bad. With the little baby gas tank we have to stop every 2 hrs.

Are others getting mpg Similar to this?

11. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

12. thebrakeman

thebrakeman Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Canton, Michigan
      2006 Mercury Mountaineer
      Welcome to the world of towing! I found the same thing when we used to tow a popup camper with a minivan. Poor gas mileage is part of the entrance fee.

Larger vehicles with larger displacement and geared for towing already get pretty bad gas mileage. Adding a camper doesn't necessarily have an enormous impact, which is the benefit of having an extremely capable tow vehicle...and why these people will say "I can hardly feel the trailer back there".

Conversely, a passenger vehicle is geared for fuel economy and/or performance when not loaded down. Put things to it's limit, and fuel economy suffers more than a full-sized truck (from a percentage standpoint).

Don't worry about your gas mileage while towing. That's less than 5% of total mileage. You'll save plenty of gas the other 95%, by having an Explorer instead of an F250.

PS - I have a Mountaineer V8, rated for 7000 lbs, towing about 5200 lbs. When towing, I get 9mpg at 55-60mph, or 8mpg at 65-70mph. The only way you are going to get significantly more than that is to have a tow vehicle that is significantly over-rated for the trailer being towed. And that's not cheap! Again, I'd rather take the gas hit 5% of driving, than purchase an over-rated tow vehicle that take a gas hit 95% of the time.

Last edited: February 27, 2019
    13. JJ2Cool4U

JJ2Cool4U New Member

City, State:
      Frederick, MD
      2017 Explorer Sport
      Hi,
      I tow a Apex 208BHS with 2017 Sport and no problems in the WV/MD mountains. Dry weight is ~4000lb and I use a weight distributing hitch. Last time it went out it had a full tank of water with no problem. That's said, it only goes out a couple times a year.

A new related question: The camper's home is up a very steep gravel driveway. I've been using the Snow/Grass/Gravel mode to get it up there. Is that bad? The transmission fan (?) is usually running when we make it to the top, so I think it's getting a work out. I haven't tried any other modes since this mode has worked. I'm quite fearful of getting stuck in the middle of the drive way.

A video to try and show the steepness: https://photos.app.goo.gl/sCX8kNK6m93g5ihD8

Thanks

14. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      I don't think that mode would be an issue. Have you tried just leaving it in Normal and using the Manual shift in a low gear?

Peter

15. JJ2Cool4U

JJ2Cool4U New Member

City, State:
      Frederick, MD
      2017 Explorer Sport
      I have not tried Normal for fear of spinning out and getting stuck. But I’ll try next time.