Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2018 Explorer Sport - Towing a Travel Trailer

Discussion in 'Tow Rig Forum' started by jbb0177, February 5, 2018.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    The towing guide shows 5000 lbs under the heading "Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight". I believe what you are referring to is called the GVWR.

Peter

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. sasq40

sasq40 New Member

City, State:
    Alberta
    2019 explorer sport

Those are quite interesting, no dealers in northern Canada tho. I have been taking into account gear and all that, with the max that trailer should have is around 3900, which sticks us under the 5000 limit. My main concern is road manners with a full-size camper. We had a tent trailer before and I will not be looking at another, just didn't like setting it up to get in and grab something or to pack it up.

4. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer EF Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    1998 Mountaineer AWD
    If you are going to be towing a lot, or very far, or in extremely hilly areas I’d step it up to the Expedition.

• Like Like x 1
  5. sasq40

sasq40 New Member

City, State:
    Alberta
    2019 explorer sport
    On the escape we had a reese friction wd hitch,(Reese 66153 | FREE SHIPPING CANADA |Reese SC Weight Distribution System w/ Sway Control similar to this) made a world of difference towing our large tent trailer(i think it was like 20ish feet, was a big one) I towed it once without the hitch and refused to until we got the hitch. Everyone stares at you cuz it is quite noisy when you turn around, but made a world of difference towing.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Larryjb

Larryjb Member

2008 Ford Explorer
    It is true that I had to go to Tacoma to get mine. Opening it to get something can be a bit of a pain, but they are easier to open up than a canvas popup. Undo latches, pull the shells open, then walk in. Another minute to set up the interior to use the washroom.

A full size trailer is definitely more convenient, but I didn't have room in my driveway for one, so this was my best compromise.

Peter, what you really want to find is GCWR (gross combined weight rating) and the GAWR (gross axle weight rating). For the 2019 4WD V6 Ecoboost, the GCWR is 10400 lbs. The curb weight of a 2019 Explorer is 4458 lbs, but I cannot find the GVWR for an Explorer. If you subtract the curb weight from the GCWR, you will get 5942. This will be the total extra weight that the Explorer can handle, but not necessarily tow. They say you can tow up to 5000 lbs, which leaves 942 lbs left for the Explorer. A full tank of gasoline is about 120 lbs, 5 170 lb adults can add 850 lbs which adds up to 970 lbs. This may not be a likely scenario for you, but it illustrates that you could stay within the 5000 lbs limit for the trailer, and still be overloaded depending on how much you put in the Explorer. Likewise, it is also easy to overload the axle.

So, I would pay more attention to the 10400 GCWR than the 5000 lb towing limit. Just remember to subtract the weight of the Explorer and all the people/gear.

7. RhinoQuartz

RhinoQuartz Elite Explorer

17 Explorer Base
    Properly equipped, the NA V6 can tow the same as the TT.

8. Michael Lopour

Michael Lopour New Member

City, State:
    Scottsdale AZ
    2019 Explorer Platinum
    Yup.

9. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer EF Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    1998 Mountaineer AWD
    The NA v6 can tow as much, as in safety stop, but will be way less enjoyable to tow with, especially in hilly terrain.

We Support Our Troops!