2018 Sport Rear Wiper ARM/Blade Change out. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 Sport Rear Wiper ARM/Blade Change out.

Stephen Cannon

Reaction score
City, State
DFW METROPLEX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Sport
Read the header carefully this is changing out the Arm and Blade.....

Process is fairly simple but you need to pay attention to future blade replacements because it will be a different type blade and connector. It took me some experimentation but I got it.

Background: Most people know just a question of how in depth they will go to correct the unsightliness of the OEM blade with the blade sticking beyond the surface of the arm. This correction also allows you to get the arm to sweep further away from the glass when the blade does get changed.

Items required.

13mm Socket, I used a Deep well and 3/8th but a 1/4 and shallow should also work especially on newer models where the nut can come loose fairly easy.

Ratchet...Again 1/4 or 3/8 I would not go above 3/8" drive it could be way too much breakaway torque.

Gear Puller. Amazon look for the one in the photo it worked great. adjustable claws and adjustable shaft to gently remove from the shaft/stud.

2008-2012 Ford Escape Wiper Arm. I could only find a set that included the blade but note. A simple plug and play replacement for the arm but the blade will get hung up on the spoiler surface. If you look at Amazon for the kit the arm is 11" and the blade is 12" That makes it 23" so about six inches extends beyond the arm. I couldn't find a 11" blade with that type fitting so had to go with a 10" blade. Note Wal-Mart, Advance and AutoZone at least in my search did not have any 10" blades.

2007-2013 Mini Cooper Rear Wiper Blade. Again this came as a kit.

The Mini Cooper is a 10" Arm and 10" Blade. That gives about 15" of length....to be honest that makes the combination too short for an effective sweep. Doesn't wipe enough of the glass. Drawback #2 the retaining nut cover for the Mini Cooper is almost as unsightly as the piece of blade sticking out of the OEM arm.

Before you ask I tried: Mini Cooper arm and Escape Blade....That method gets the wiper blade caught on the other end of the arm near the axle shaft....blade too long for arm.

I originally had a almost perfect fit using the arm and blade from a 2009 Toyota Matrix perfect length, perfect fit but...the retaining axle shaft/bushing was way too narrow.

Yes I tried swapping the 2008-2012 bushing to the Matrix arm but too wide to fit without modifying the bushing housing.

Hopefully this answers some of the questions about the experimentation and different methods.....trust me I was trying to make this as plug and play as possible...Ford could have saved this by spending another 3 cents on plastic to extend the arm or shorten the blade to fit.

Again this is cosmetic but can be done with fairly minor effort and now that the path has been set feel free to press on. No Pun Intended.

Now that all the testing is done it shouldn't take much more than about 30 minutes. I applied a dab of brake caliper grease to the retaining shat bushing and dab of Anti Seize along the threads of the retaining nut shaft.

BE CAREFUL DO NOT OVERTORQUE...…..plastic arm around the bushing and can crack early. Most ford model arm bushings should fit but the trick is to find a matching connector from the Arm to Blade that's how the Mini came in.

Now here comes the fun part....watching me try to add photos.....

Note: The photos were taken after the installation but even with the new arm/blade installed the concept is the same.

OEM Blade at top and "Improved" at bottom...

101_0019.JPG

Removing the arm retaining nut cover.

101_0023.JPG

Blurry I know but removing the retaining nut.

101_0024.JPG

Puller turned full Counter Clockwise

101_0030.JPG

Puller adjusted down.....This may not be the exact tension but you get the idea. The Knurled knob turns inward to keep tension on the claw feet to prevent from slipping off the arm.

101_0031.JPG

Finished product. The dust line is to the left of my finger the top of the wiper blade arc is close but does not contact the spoiler surface. I believe I had about 1/2" clearance. Blade was long enough to get the maximum effective sweep of the glass but not hang up on the spoiler surface.

View attachment 172380

101_0034.JPG

Back