2020 Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 3.3L isn’t an Ecoboost, it’s an updated and downsized version of the 3.x NA V6 the F-150 was already using. It’s been available on the F-150 since MY2018 began. Currently only comes with the old six speed transmission, not the new ten speed.

Yes not an EcoBoost, kind of a weird choice for Ford to offer. I would have thought everything that small would be an EcoBoost and paired with the 10 Speed Trans.

We have an 18 F150 XLT Sport at work that I have as a daily driver, it has 10 speed and 2.7L EcoBoost. The torque is amazing but I'm still a little hesitant about the 10 speed. Its good but sometimes gets confused.

Yes not an EcoBoost, kind of a weird choice for Ford to offer. I would have thought everything that small would be an EcoBoost and paired with the 10 Speed Trans.

We have an 18 F150 XLT Sport at work that I have as a daily driver, it has 10 speed and 2.7L EcoBoost. The torque is amazing but I'm still a little hesitant about the 10 speed. Its good but sometimes gets confused.
Not sure if that is the same 10 speed that is being used in the new Ranger but here some info I found on it.

The new Ranger comes exclusively with the new 10-speed automatic transmission. This is the same gearbox that FoMoCo and GM co-developed, and has found itself slotted in everything from a Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, Ford Mustang GT, Ford F-150 Raptor, and Cadillac Escalade. It's smart, quick-shifting, and robust, so it should be right at home in the Ranger.
Seven Things to Love About the 2019 Ford Ranger

Peter

Not sure if that is the same 10 speed that is being used in the new Ranger but here some info I found on it.

The new Ranger comes exclusively with the new 10-speed automatic transmission. This is the same gearbox that FoMoCo and GM co-developed, and has found itself slotted in everything from a Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, Ford Mustang GT, Ford F-150 Raptor, and Cadillac Escalade. It's smart, quick-shifting, and robust, so it should be right at home in the Ranger.
Seven Things to Love About the 2019 Ford Ranger

Peter
I am assuming they have different versions of the 10speed just like they have different versions of the 6speed (6f35, 6f50, 6f55 etc). Trucks will have higher torque limits because of towing.

I am assuming they have different versions of the 10speed just like they have different versions of the 6speed (6f35, 6f50, 6f55 etc). Trucks will have higher torque limits because of towing.

What I read so far was that it was just a case change to fit the Ranger’s smaller frame, although since that was accompanied by no details, I too suspect it could be derated, since the Ranger will be offered with engines producing significantly less torque than the F-150 engine options. That said...is the Mustang version used on the 2.3L EcoBoost derated? Because that’s apparently the Ranger’s new engine.

What I read so far was that it was just a case change to fit the Ranger’s smaller frame, although since that was accompanied by no details, I too suspect it could be derated, since the Ranger will be offered with engines producing significantly less torque than the F-150 engine options. That said...is the Mustang version used on the 2.3L EcoBoost derated? Because that’s apparently the Ranger’s new engine.
The only engine offered will be the 2.3L Ecoboost but it can be manufactured to output various power levels, possibly up to 350 hp as in the Focus RS.
BTW, welcome to the Forum jo7hs2.:wave:

Peter

That seems to go with more gears. Everything I've driven with early 6 speeds on up have gotten confused. I would think they'd be processing fast enough to handle it, but I guess not.

The only engine offered will be the 2.3L Ecoboost but it can be manufactured to output various power levels, possibly up to 350 hp as in the Focus RS.
BTW, welcome to the Forum jo7hs2.:wave:

Peter

Focus RS has head gasket issues by the way.

Focus RS has head gasket issues by the way.

Had.. There were a batch of motors that got the Mustang 2.3 HG which is different then the RS 2.3 HG. The gasket had an extra hole in it causing fluid to collect around the cylinder hole which then heated up and deteriorated the gasket.

This was a supplier F up and was not caught during the engine building process.

I STAND CORRECTED.

I did some internet surfing and what I saw was not an Explorer...it was a 2019 Range Rover. I found some photos on the internet and that is what was driving around. The Range Rover sure had the markings of an Explorer.

I STAND CORRECTED.
I did some internet surfing and what I saw was not an Explorer...it was a 2019 Range Rover. I found some photos on the internet and that is what was driving around. The Range Rover sure had the markings of an Explorer.

That is what the Explorer gets its styling cues from, that's why they look so close.

I'd have to have a professional installer put mine in. I sliced my hand with a knife twice in a two week period and taking off the bumper looks too hard for my limited skills.

So through someone at CAP, I just got confirmation that the 2020 Explorer will be RWD with an AWD option. It will be unibody still with an aluminum hood. Rest of the vehicle will be steal like it is now.

Happy Saturday.

I guess that means retaining the transverse mounted engine with internal water pump.

I guess that means retaining the transverse mounted engine with internal water pump.

No, that would be FWD with AWD option. This is RWD.

What I found interesting in the article is the mention of the Explorer's Lincoln counterpart. I wonder which vehicle they are referring to as currently there isn't one. Did they let something slip?

Peter

What I found interesting in the article is the mention of the Explorer's Lincoln counterpart. I wonder which vehicle they are referring to as currently there isn't one. Did they let something slip?

Peter

Aviator. At first it was supposed to come a year after the Explorer but from what Im hearing, it will be the same model year. Hoping to see a prototype at one of the car shows (NY).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"Blue oval sources" have confirmed some details. CD6 platform, RWD, 3.3L V6 base, same 2.3L Ecoboost, and a new ST trim with Lincoln's 3.0L Ecoboost (no more Sport or 3.5L Ecoboost).

It states the ST's V6 will be mounted longitudinally, so expect all engines to be longitudinal.

The 10-speed will be available but it doesn't say with what engines. The 2.3L with 10-speed could provide adequate power with stellar fuel economy.

2020 Ford Explorer Goes Rear-Wheel Drive, Steals Lincoln Engine - The Truth About Cars

Back