2020 Explorer | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer

After talking to people at CAP who are in the 2020 prototypes every day I'm told that big iPad isn't as obtrusive as it seems in photos. Apparently, in the ST it comes with some cool Ford Performance graphics.

I guess its yet another feature that's going to be interpreted differently by everyone.

The advice I was given was not to make a buying decision until you sit in the 2020 and see it in person, but then again if you want the higher level audio you have to take the Tech Package and 10" screen. So your "option bullied" into taking the 10" screen.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMG_7942.JPG

After talking to people at CAP who are in the 2020 prototypes every day I'm told that big iPad isn't as obtrusive as it seems in photos. Apparently, in the ST it comes with some cool Ford Performance graphics.

I guess its yet another feature that's going to be interpreted differently by everyone.

The advice I was given was not to make a buying decision until you sit in the 2020 and see it in person, but then again if you want the higher level audio you have to take the Tech Package and 10" screen. So your "option bullied" into taking the 10" screen.

Couldnt get any info on the brake packages?

Couldnt get any info on the brake packages?

Not so far, I keep bugging but apparently, its a big rush to finish 19 builds and shut down for 2020 retooling

========
Kinda ticked me off (a serious WTF moment) when we discovered (at the the Detroit Auto Show) that Ford was not letting anyone into the Explorer or Aviator.

========
Kinda ticked me off (a serious WTF moment) when we discovered (at the the Detroit Auto Show) that Ford was not letting anyone into the Explorer or Aviator.

Agree 100%! We drove from Rochester, NY and that was the primary reason! The reps there were clueless and disinterested as well.

Agree 100%! We drove from Rochester, NY and that was the primary reason! The reps there were clueless and disinterested as well.

I really do not think majoriry of reps are even Ford employees. Rather models or 3rd party people who study information sheets.

It was sad when I went to the NY Auto show lastbyear and the woman on the spinning circle talking about the Aviator knew practically nothing.. I knew far more then she did and my wife was laughing when I was asking questions that I knew the answers to and they had no clue on the answer.

I really do not think majoriry of reps are even Ford employees. Rather models or 3rd party people who study information sheets.

It was sad when I went to the NY Auto show lastbyear and the woman on the spinning circle talking about the Aviator knew practically nothing.. I knew far more then she did and my wife was laughing when I was asking questions that I knew the answers to and they had no clue on the answer.

I would agree they weren't Ford employees. As I posted earlier - the other brands reps did a great job. Ford was a 100% fail in this area - dumb to spend millions on a show (especially where your world headquarters are located) and blow it on disinterested uninformed salespeople on the floor. GM, Acura, VW, and Toyota had great reps.. I didn't interact with more than that this time but that is a good sample of other brands.

Hey guys... seems like a number of people on this forum that are better connected to Ford that most. I'm not sure if this is the right place but I'd really like to see a thread on 2020 ST performance engineering. What makes it special from a performance standpoint... I can see there is a track package with better brakes BUT... lets have some details...rotor diameter compared to the the standard offering, number of pistons, etc.

Is ST a trim package or does it really have engineered performance features like designed into previous “Sports”. Examples from 2015 sport:
  • Quick steering (17-1 ratio ) = 2.7 turns - lock to lock
  • 4-point transmission tunnel brace + the front shock towers are tied together = increased lateral stiffness = better steering response and less tendency for structure born noise.
  • Sport’s terrain management system calibrated to allow 50 percent of the torque to flow to the rear axle. All other models in contrast passes 35 percent to the rear.
  • To handle the additional heat generated by the more aggressive torque distribution, the Sport power takeoff unit is water-cooled (pulls water from the main radiator cooling loop).
  • The Sport suspension is optimized (over other models) for handling with better springs, shocks, sway bars and bushings.
  • The Sport front suspension is lowered by about 5/8”, and the rear used "cross-axis" ball joints to improve cornering response.

Hey guys... seems like a number of people on this forum that are better connected to Ford that most. I'm not sure if this is the right place but I'd really like to see a thread on 2020 ST performance engineering. What makes it special from a performance standpoint... I can see there is a track package with better brakes BUT... lets have some details...rotor diameter compared to the the standard offering, number of pistons, etc.

Is ST a trim package or does it really have engineered performance features like designed into previous “Sports”. Examples from 2015 sport:
  • 4-point transmission tunnel brace + the front shock towers are tied together = increased lateral stiffness = better steering response and less tendency for structure born noise.
  • Sport’s terrain management system calibrated to allow 50 percent of the torque to flow to the rear axle. All other models in contrast passes 35 percent to the rear.
  • To handle the additional heat generated by the more aggressive torque distribution, the Sport power takeoff unit is water-cooled (pulls water from the main radiator cooling loop).
  • The Sport suspension is optimized (over other models) for handling with better springs, shocks, sway bars and bushings.
  • The Sport front suspension is lowered by about 5/8”, and the rear used "cross-axis" ball joints to improve cornering response.

Nobody knows any specifics yet as posted in the 2020 forum. Only thing known is hp/tq numbers.

That sounds like me talking to my dealership Service Advisers, When my rear view camera washer wasn't working the Advisor says "Ya smart guy that's because Ford doesn't make a RVC washer on the Explorer"

The '17 has a footrest or dead pedal. I never use it myself. I would think the 2020 would be similar.

Peter

No foot rest or dead pedal, just rounded wheelwell...

What did you purchase in place of the Explorer?

I guess I need to update my signature...picked up a '17 Escape 2.0 4WD. Much more practicle and it is only my 6yo and me so space is rarely an issue. We camp and road trip a lot so the MPG is much friendler to my bank account.

Got a great deal too, only 1300 miles and in service for 6 mos so most of the warranty in tact. Saved almost $7k off MSRP.

========

Even worse was their other shows. They had the Rangers outside for people to drive around the block and only 1 on the floor behind a 10ft perimeter fence!! I was very curious about the interior space just wanted to sit in it check out the rear seat. Nope. The Ford booth was so poorly done they could have saved thousands by simply not having one at all.

The only modern platform they have thats plugin hybrid they didn’t even have on the floor, they had a base model non hybrid sitting in a dark corner like it wasn’t supposed to be there. Seriously if I were Ford Management the show folks would be walking with pink slips faster than those 1 block Ranger Test rides.

Yet 100ft away Hyundai had its nearly zero being built EV Kona open sitting out for everyone to sit in slam doors on etc. And as pointed out they even had real employees on the floor that knew the product. The fail with Hyundai? The largest Hyundai dealer in my area in California ground zero for EV sales gets 1. Yep ONE!! EV Kona for 2019. Lol yeah OK good luck with that.

Ford rep said that it ST going to be faster then an 82K Range Rover and much more reliable. Livernois is going to make it to at least 450TQ 450HP, but even stock one should feel much better then the current generation because of that new rear wheel platform. Hopefully they release detailed specs soon.

Spe
Ford rep said that it ST going to be faster then an 82K Range Rover and much more reliable. Livernois is going to make it to at least 450TQ 450HP, but even stock one should feel much better then the current generation because of that new rear wheel platform. Hopefully they release detailed specs soon.
Specs sheet has already been posted here in one of these threads.

Peter

Spe

Specs sheet has already been posted here in one of these threads.

Peter

I just want to know more details. If we get a track pack, will we get wider tires with it? The basic specs have arrived but not the details.

I just want to know more details. If we get a track pack, will we get wider tires with it? The basic specs have arrived but not the details.
According to the Order Guide, the tires on both Track and Street packages are 275/45R21 All-Season BSW on 21" Aluminum wheels. You get red painted brake calipers with both and Performance Brakes with the Street Package. The Track package gets Hi Performance Brakes which are dealer installed.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the track pack is just bolt on stuff one could do on their own messing around in the garage.

Back