2020 Explorer | Page 38 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer

Is there an option or setting that auto-locks the vehicle when you/key fob is
(X)distance from vehicle
Timed from powering off vehicle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

(X)distance from vehicle

It would be very cool for ST to just lock the doors by herself. But I think that we need to engage her manually, to shut her down. With a key fob or by touch door option.

I think all 6th gens come with a front bracket from factory, regardless of which state/province its going to.

If I remember correctly, blwnsmoke had ordered an ST from an MI dealer, and noted it had a front plate bracket, even though MI is a 1 plate state.
Mine has no front plate.....Florida

(X)distance from vehicle
I'm guessing, NO. But it would be in the Manual if there was.

Peter

I'm guessing, NO. But it would be in the Manual if there was.

Peter
Agree. Nothing in the manual. No such settings in the menus. Probably because it might cause problems in some situations. Plus it’s very simple to lock up with the lock button on the inside of the door or by touching the outside handle after exiting. And of course the key fob.

(X)distance from vehicle

I guess I dont under why. You grab the door to hold/close it, it takes literally 1/4 of a second to tap the lock button on the door handle. You dont even have to wait for any of the doors to close, tap and they all lock. Once the door is closed, it wont reopen.

I guess I dont under why. You grab the door to hole it, it takes literally 1/4 of a second to tap the lock button on the door handle. You dont even have to wait for any of the doors to close, tap and and they all lock. Once the door is closed, it wont reopen.

Exactly, for me... I don't slam my doors. So when I am exiting my ST, I am typically guiding the door as it closes with my hand. So my hand is already right there, I touch the little lock icon on the front of ANY door handle and boom, they all lock. Not sure it could be simpler, I don't even want to or have to get the key fob out for any of this.

5.jpg

As blwnsmoke has said.. they are actually in there with plastic rivets. I used a small drill bit to drill into the middle of the rivet basically weakening it. But being careful not to get to deep and deform or enlarge the hole. Once weakened I used a typical trim puller to just pry/rip each rivet out. I suppose you could also just rip the plate holder off the front, but I did not want to risk something cracking other then the rivets.

I got these from amazon to plug the holes. They perfectly fit without need to molest or modify the hole. I painted the ones in the paint with a touch up kit from the dealer. You can't even tell they are there. The one in the black plastic does not match as well as the plug is smoother, glossy-er then the bumper. I need to rough up the plug or find some bumper paint that matches that black. But even in its current form you can't really see it unless you are looking for it (which I am). The pack of 50 plugs is under $10. So I have plenty to play with. Others have found these at local auto stores as well.

View attachment 174101
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019CX5JWY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lastly I got this holder for my rear plate:
Its well built, heavy and looks nice. I would love to find one that actually uses all 4 holes, but even with just the top two, it does not vibrate or anything.
View attachment 174102
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JGMWXG2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

By chance, would you happen to any pics of said plugs installed in the front bumper ?

FWIW, here's a photo of the front-bumper plugs I installed on my Silver Spruce Platinum after I drilled-out the plastic rivets and removed the front license-plate holder.

I painted the top two plugs with Ford touch-up paint, but the bottom plug is untouched. Tough getting a photo without reflections!

Plate Bracket Plugs.jpg

Nice work, but that doesn't look like Silver Spruce.;)

I guess I dont under why. You grab the door to hold/close it, it takes literally 1/4 of a second to tap the lock button on the door handle. You dont even have to wait for any of the doors to close, tap and they all lock. Once the door is closed, it wont reopen.
So I bought food for the family, a few bags and a carrier with drinks, get out of my car and shut the door with my elbow. Get in the house, leave the items on our counter, go empty my pockets as usual (which doesn’t include locking my car with the fob). Start to eat, watch tv or whatever, go to bed, wake up, get ready for a new day and approach my unlocked vehicle.

it can happen.

So I bought food for the family, a few bags and a carrier with drinks, get out of my car and shut the door with my elbow. Get in the house, leave the items on our counter, go empty my pockets as usual (which doesn’t include locking my car with the fob). Start to eat, watch tv or whatever, go to bed, wake up, get ready for a new day and approach my unlocked vehicle.

it can happen.

Open up the Ford pass app from your phone and lock it at any time.

I believe he is saying that he thought the vehicle was already locked.

Peter

FWIW, here's a photo of the front-bumper plugs I installed on my Silver Spruce Platinum after I drilled-out the plastic rivets and removed the front license-plate holder.

I painted the top two plugs with Ford touch-up paint, but the bottom plug is untouched. Tough getting a photo without reflections!

View attachment 174221

Thanks for the pics. Where did you get the plugs ?

View attachment 174221

How'd the touch up paint match overall?

View attachment 174221

Looks nice! Where'd you get the touch up paint?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back