2020 Ford Explorer has top secret problems disrupting dealer delivery | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Ford Explorer has top secret problems disrupting dealer delivery

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Issues can't be all that top secret if there's a story about it from the Detroit free press.

The thing that concerned me was the comment about the Ford sources puzzled by the mundane problems like missing from and emblems, and wrong wheels. That's just $hit people and even $hittier qc protocols. The other problems with trans and HVAC and so on are sadly all to common these days. This might end up being as big as the fca Cherokee fiasco by the time it's all said and done.

Maybe some mandatory drug tests at CAP would be in order. :shifty: :laugh:

Maybe some mandatory drug tests at CAP would be in order. :shifty: :laugh:
Yo, dat's raysis.

Looks like the PIUs are caught up in this too (pic in the article shows one being transported). May have to stay away from those at auction for a little while. Or, try to scoop up a sweet deal on one.

So sad Ford can't get out of its own way on yet another important product launch. Very alarming that they're trying to use X-ray to diagnose an unknown chassis issue. I certainly wouldn't want a "new" vehicle whose chassis had to be "fixed" at a plant other than the original assembly plant using subcontractors from throughout the Midwest.

This sounds like a repeat of the Powershift transmission debacle whose sordid details were only finally made public a few months ago. Especially after reading the quotes from the Ford spokesperson trying to put a positive spin on everything. "Oh, no, trucking thousands of vehicles to another plant to make repairs isn't at all abnormal....." o_O

Just more reinforcement of the age-old belief, "Never buy a 1st (or in Ford's case 2nd or 3rd) model year car. Wait until they get the bugs worked out."

So sad Ford can't get out of its own way on yet another important product launch. Very alarming that they're trying to use X-ray to diagnose an unknown chassis issue. I certainly wouldn't want a "new" vehicle whose chassis had to be "fixed" at a plant other than the original assembly plant using subcontractors from throughout the Midwest.

This sounds like a repeat of the Powershift transmission debacle whose sordid details were only finally made public a few months ago. Especially after reading the quotes from the Ford spokesperson trying to put a positive spin on everything. "Oh, no, trucking thousands of vehicles to another plant to make repairs isn't at all abnormal....." o_O

Just more reinforcement of the age-old belief, "Never buy a 1st (or in Ford's case 2nd or 3rd) model year car. Wait until they get the bugs worked out."
If the xray shows something they can fix, they probably will and never say anything about it to anyone. If it is too expensive of a fix, they may choose to run them through auction as is with a disclaimer about frame or structural damage and likely no warranty. If they can't be fixed safely, I assume they will crush them to avoid any liability from that vehicle ever making its way on the road or maybe a slim chance they will be sent to recyclers to salvage usable parts for the aftermarket.

If you order a new 2020 explorer and find out it was built a month or more before delivery because it was quarantined and reworked, maybe take a pass on that one...

As far as your age old belief, I tend to agree. The vehicles I have purchased that were from the end of their model lifecycle have tended to be far more trouble free than those from early in their model lifecycle.

Maybe I have always gotten lucky but I have never had any real problems with 1st year model cars from Ford. My Chevrolet on the other hand have been problematic

Bought a new dodge journey 2014, still own and has had zero issues or dealer go backs. Still on same brakes, belts and batt. Only changed the wipers and tires. Exact same scenario on my 2015 Colorado z71 4x4 which is first year build. I'm not worried about this new ford so far it's awesome but there has been a few small annoyances.

In our hunt for a new platinum I have started seeing some show up in the mix at dealerships near me that have early June and late July build dates. I am guessing that those were some held back for issues.

In our hunt for a new platinum I have started seeing some show up in the mix at dealerships near me that have early June and late July build dates. I am guessing that those were some held back for issues.
So I guess my question continues to be: are the issues Ford was experiencing over? Are all Explorers currently coming out of the Chicago factory going directly to dealers?? Does anyone know or have an update?? Ford is mystifying quite.

So I guess my question continues to be: are the issues Ford was experiencing over? Are all Explorers currently coming out of the Chicago factory going directly to dealers?? Does anyone know or have an update?? Ford is mystifying quite.

They are back on track now. Ordered late May, got it early September. They had issues at the factory. They all went of vacation. Mine was shipped in 10 days to NY after the built date.

Back