2020 Ford PIU at the Autobahn Country Club racetrack this week | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Ford PIU at the Autobahn Country Club racetrack this week

GeoTracker

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Ed's Driveway: 2020 Ford Police Interceptor

CHICAGO (CBS)– Ford gave police officers the chance to try out the 2020 Ford Police Interceptor SUV at the Autobahn Country Club racetrack this week.

CBS 2’s Ed Curran rode along with the officers.

Curran said it’s not just about speed. It’s the braking, the cornering, the safety, the cargo space and the fuel savings for the new police-rated hybrid vehicle.

Ford’s Greg Ebel said this is not just some beefed-up Ford Explorer.

“This is a police-purposed and designed vehicle from the ground up,” he said. “The suspension, your tires, your wheels, your brakes, unique engine and transmission calibrations, engine cooler, I can go on but everything you see here is dedicated and designed with a true purpose, for law enforcement.”

Ed's Driveway: 2020 Ford Police Interceptor

CHICAGO (CBS)– Ford gave police officers the chance to try out the 2020 Ford Police Interceptor SUV at the Autobahn Country Club racetrack this week.

CBS 2’s Ed Curran rode along with the officers.

Curran said it’s not just about speed. It’s the braking, the cornering, the safety, the cargo space and the fuel savings for the new police-rated hybrid vehicle.

Ford’s Greg Ebel said this is not just some beefed-up Ford Explorer.

“This is a police-purposed and designed vehicle from the ground up,” he said. “The suspension, your tires, your wheels, your brakes, unique engine and transmission calibrations, engine cooler, I can go on but everything you see here is dedicated and designed with a true purpose, for law enforcement.”

Recent news coverage of other 2020 PIU's:
2020 Ford Police Interceptor Review By Larry Nutson

By Larry Nutson
Executive Producer and Bureau Chief
Chicago Bureau
The Auto Channel

If I told you that you could save $3,500 a year in gasoline costs and still get the same performance with a vehicle that meets all your needs, what would you think?

Ford is providing that to police departments with the new pursuit-rated 2020 Ford Police Interceptor. The standard engine will be a 3.3-L V6 Hybrid. Police vehicles spend on average 60% to 70% of their time stopped and idling, but still need to be kept turned on. With a hybrid all the equipment that needs to be kept on and functioning can be powered by the lithium-ion hybrid battery.

And at Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department testing, the 3.3-L Hybrid proved quicker and faster than the 3.7-L V6 used in previous models.

On the invite of Ford I drove the new Police Interceptor around a handling course at Autobahn Country Club in Joliet, Illinois. Along with some other auto writers we were in the company of a large contingent of police officers who also were there to experience and evaluate the new Police Interceptor (PI).

Back