21Robbie21 SAS | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

21Robbie21 SAS

ok so last night i went and picked up a '84 wagoneer D44 Full Width or WT, Driver Drop, Non-Vac Disconnect, W/Locking Hubs, Complete, its got rust and mud, but it seems good to go. I'm going to run leaves for simplicity. I am 2wd right now and the SAS will be the first step toward 4wd. The axle is 63" wide so i think im going to run spacers in the back. I want to do this as cheap as possible. I want to run 36" Iroks or another 36/37 when im finished. Im hoping to finish in ~3 months, but im not sure how realistic that is. Bryan (BMXking) lives close to me, and if he ever finishes his :D he will have the PRIVELEDGE of helping me :thumbsup: i am open to any suggestions, ideas, tips, tricks, specs, references, or anything that might help me do this project professionally, cheaply, and quickly. I just spent 200 on this axle, ordered a yakima roof basket, and a new cobra CB and antenna, so im outta cash for now, and im going to PC for spring break on April 1st so i might not take any steps these next two-three weeks. But after that im anxious!

sorry the rugs arent a good background, but its in the unfinished part of my basement and thats whats on the floor and damn this thing is heavy!
100_1347.jpg

100_1351.jpg

100_1348.jpg

you think its dirty now? this is after i hosed and scrubbed of the initial Cm thick covering of mud

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks rock for the info, im back up for debate on coils or leaves, but i can postpone that decision for a little while while im just working on the axle, ok cool james, ya jason, its the one from craig, and i have access to a compressor, so after Spring Break (april1-9) ill get a hold of you and borrow that sandblaster, much appreciated

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Axle teardown help neede

ok Spring break is over :mad: but its SAS time! opened it up and no rust :thumbsup:
100_0178.jpg

but im trying to take the outside pieces off, i got the brakes off one side, but the other side is like locked up and i cant figure it out and i dont wanna force it too much, also i cant figure out how to get the hub and rotor off, its probably really easy and im just an idiot, but whatever i need help
100_0179.jpg

100_0180.jpg

100_0181.jpg
100_0183.jpg

It would probably be a good idea to get a Haynes or Chilton's manual for the Waggy that your axle came from (helped me with assembly, etc). Did you ever find out what year the axle was out of?

ok on the hub.. first thing.. get a ring pliers or whatever its called cauz theres a C-clip thing in the center that needs to be removed. so remove that C clip thing first. then theres another ring that sits in a grove on the inside surface of the hub, u need to get that out too <- thats the hardest part i would say cauz its just difficult to get out.. but take ur time, use small flat head screw drivers. with that out of they way, put two of the original hex-head bolts back onto the hub and slide the hub mechanism out. after that, u need to get a 4x4 spindle socket tool to get to the bearings. this is usually held in by one nut, a grooved retaining ring with many holes through it, and another nut.. pay attention to which nut is which cauz the most inside nut has a little small pin on the surface. so after u get those nuts out, u just have to slide the rotor and the hub - may needa little tap with a hammer but should pull right out. so after that, the next task is the spindle itself. after removing the bolts on the back, u'll probably need a flat head screw driver (or a chisel or an old hatchet) to wedge between the spindle and the knuckle cauz its usually rusted in. after the spindle, pull the axle shafts out. after the axle shafts, its onto the knuckles themselves which are pretty obvious.. some sort of a giant nut on top (cant remember what size) and the bottom nut is 1.125 ("one and one-eighth) inch .

oh and u know what, before you do all this, umm crack the pinion nut lose cauz its a little easier to stop the axle from rotating using a screwdriver stuck into the rotor and against one of the caliper brackets.

btw, if ur looking for gears, i found the cheapest at completeoffroad.com .. 180 for Yukon ring and pinion AND (!!!) the install kit <- that is a smashing deal. they are off at some jamboree till next week tho so ur order wont ship till next week. oh and the shipping is also ultra cheap (10 bucks usually). just dont forget to tell them what ratio u want in the comments field when u order: https://completeoffroad.com/wsm/i-1319_yukon_gear_dana_30_35_44_gear_and_install_kit.html

Pulll the clip off the axle shaft. Then there is a snap ring that goes around the outside of the hub that needs to be removed. I use a couple of dental picks I got at harbor fright to pop it out. Then pull the rest of the hub out. Get your dana 44 hub socket and pull off the two nuts that are behind it. Now the rotor and hub assembly will come off. 6 bolts on the spindle and the spindle and the caliper bracket will come off. Pull the axle shaft. Then a 1 5/16 socket will take care of getting the knuckles off.

IZwack said:
btw, if ur looking for gears, i found the cheapest at completeoffroad.com .. 180 for Yukon ring and pinion AND (!!!) the install kit <- that is a smashing deal. they are off at some jamboree till next week tho so ur order wont ship till next week. oh and the shipping is also ultra cheap (10 bucks usually). just dont forget to tell them what ratio u want in the comments field when u order: https://completeoffroad.com/wsm/i-1319_yukon_gear_dana_30_35_44_gear_and_install_kit.html
Damn, that is a good deal. Is that their normal price, or is it some special thing that won't last long? I need to order some for my front end soon! (Just wanna drive it with 4.88s first to see if I think it's enough for 37s or if 5.13s are needed) :)

bmxking5 said:
Damn, that is a good deal. Is that their normal price, or is it some special thing that won't last long? I need to order some for my front end soon! (Just wanna drive it with 4.88s first to see if I think it's enough for 37s or if 5.13s are needed) :)
its not normal price. i spent a few hours looking for the best price and that was the best deal i found. its temporary so I would order asap. I'm also going to be running 37's and i went with 5.13s - mostly because this isnt my daily-driver anymore. but do ur calculations on ratios.. i currently run 33s and 4.56s and i found that between 4.88s and 5.13s pushing 37" tires, there would only be 0.8% torque difference between the two (compared to current setup of 33s and 4.56s as the "base line" ratio)

I wouldn't even bother with the pinion nut with anything but a impact wrench. That sucker is on there good and trying to remove it with hand tools sucks.
You need to get some tools first.. mainly the D44 hub socket. That's really the only special tool you need. I have one you can borrow but I'll need it back sometime relatively soon. Either way, you will need to invest in one eventually.
Here's a great writeup on rebuilding that axle.
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/dana44hub.php

oh and one other thing... before you try to take the carrier out or even unbolt the race caps, mark the race caps so you know which way they go back together.

jasonb said:
the D44 hub socket. That's really the only special tool you need.
available at your local stores - i found it at Advanced Auto for ~$10.

cant wait

Wow, can't wait to see how this works out. Im still in the planing stages for my explorer. Hopefully I will get all the parts this summer and throw everything together this coming fall. Definately subscribing to this one.

special.. as in most people don't just have one in their tool kit and you won't find it at sears.

jasonb said:
special.. as in most people don't just have one in their tool kit and you won't find it at sears.
Ahah oh true .. sorry my fault. I meant local auto stores like Napa or Advanced Auto or pepBoys - althought I've only tried Advanced Auto and found the hub socket there so I didn't need to go Napa or pepBoys

thanks guys for all the help, im so glad rick invented this damn addicting website! ill go buy a hub socket and get this thing going, JSUkid im going to UGA in the fall so if by perfect chance i am finished then, or even whatever, you should come by and check it out ;)

when you realize how much you going to actually spend on this swap.. you won't be thanking Rick. :D

awesome

Sounds good man. You'll definately enjoy the Athens night life. I would have gone if I hadn't wanted a change. You'll definately enjoy it.

Finally finished tearing this thing down this afternoon. It is quite a learning process. I probably spent 6 hours working on one side and 35 minutes one the other. I dont feel like managing my time to do a full write up on a wagonner d44 teardown right now, but people should ask me questions because i have many great tips as this is my first real project and can give you a newbies advice.
100_0218.jpg

100_0219.jpg

MY BEST FRIEND VVVV i spent probably three of my hours beating this *****. I broke 2 2x4's with a 2.5lb millian hammer and i broke a rubber mallet over it before i used a 3in thick board and the hammer and the seal finally broke loose, i then pryed it off with a crowbar
100_0227.jpg

100_0223.jpg

100_0222.jpg

the other really big pain was the retaining clip that held the hub/rotor assembly in and i spent an hour and a half trying to get out, the key to finding it was to look for the gap, because it makes a c shape, then i used and paint scraper to get underneath it close to the end and once it was some what up in the air i used a pic to pry the end up and voila it popped out, so the second one took me all of 45 seconds.
100_0216.jpg

100_0217.jpg

now im hoping to borrow jason b's sandblaster to clean this thing up and paint it, and bryan is going to hook me up with a parts cleaner and see how everything else looks once its clean, before i start ordering parts.

are you planning on running the 6 lug?

yes im going to stay with the 6 lug and get new shafts for the rear, atleast thats the plan for now

what are you going to run in the rear?

Back