21Robbie21 SAS | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

21Robbie21 SAS

ok so last night i went and picked up a '84 wagoneer D44 Full Width or WT, Driver Drop, Non-Vac Disconnect, W/Locking Hubs, Complete, its got rust and mud, but it seems good to go. I'm going to run leaves for simplicity. I am 2wd right now and the SAS will be the first step toward 4wd. The axle is 63" wide so i think im going to run spacers in the back. I want to do this as cheap as possible. I want to run 36" Iroks or another 36/37 when im finished. Im hoping to finish in ~3 months, but im not sure how realistic that is. Bryan (BMXking) lives close to me, and if he ever finishes his :D he will have the PRIVELEDGE of helping me :thumbsup: i am open to any suggestions, ideas, tips, tricks, specs, references, or anything that might help me do this project professionally, cheaply, and quickly. I just spent 200 on this axle, ordered a yakima roof basket, and a new cobra CB and antenna, so im outta cash for now, and im going to PC for spring break on April 1st so i might not take any steps these next two-three weeks. But after that im anxious!

sorry the rugs arent a good background, but its in the unfinished part of my basement and thats whats on the floor and damn this thing is heavy!
100_1347.jpg

100_1351.jpg

100_1348.jpg

you think its dirty now? this is after i hosed and scrubbed of the initial Cm thick covering of mud

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well its not "just money" to me, especially financing this project, but ill keep your grinding offer in mind. And jason what would you consider a non normal vehicle that needs slotted rotors? ;)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Don't know... I probably wouldn't put them on anything unless it saw track duty, or for the bling factor if I had a nice sports car. I don't think any vehicle really needs them. I drive pretty boring like though.. so my opinon is probably biased.

Robbie, I can save you a pile of money on the brakes. I've got some links for you for the rotors and part numbers for the bearings, and seals. Also, I have a set of small bearing spindles that I'm willing to part with. I'll PM you.

jasonb said:
not that I have room to talk... but you don't know what it will stop like with them yet either!!
Actually I do....Before the rear disc conversion, new trac bar mount, etc. I drove the truck for about 30 minutes. Then I parked it on the jack stands again, did the rear discs, etc etc and finished it the other day. ;)

ok Zainy hooked me up with a paif of small spindles for $85 shipped, therefore allowing me to order $30.97 each rotor/hub assemblys for an 83 bronco, i ordered some stock calipers, found an even better deal($11.00 each after core return) I then got stock ball joints and a ball joint tool ($35 a set top and bottom, $10 for the tool), tie rods and TREs $80 for tie rod center assembly, $60 for tie rod to pitman arm assembly. Grand total of $461.50 shipped.

Im going to my local car parts stores this weekend to price out wheel bearings, seals, manual hubs, and u joints.

whats the best place to get all of my bushings, for the front and back of the new leaf springs and for the shackles?

can i use the explorer pitman arm on the first gen steering box or will i have to modify that one, or if i buy the wagoneer pitman arm will that link right up?

Damn, nice deal! Get the hubs through me. Same with the spring bushings. I've already checked the prices (when I did mine) and they were cheap. I only paid like 10 bucks for my spring bushings and 70 or so for premium warn hubs. I seriously doubt the Waggy pitman arm would match the splines on an Explorer steering box. What kind of tie rod end did you get (what car)? You may not need to ream the pitman arm, depending on the size of the TRE you got.

i got the grand wagoneer TREs, dont really know what "size" they are. bryan im not sure if i can come this tuesday, i might have graduation practice at 6, ill let you know, but if i do ill probably come by another day next week and order the parts.

Alright, sounds good.

bad news, rock auto called me and they have discontinued the $30.97 rotor/hub, the next one up is 40.89, does any one know a better price/site? this is for an 83 bronco or similar truck

Robbie, try calling Autozone and see what their price might be. If they end up being too expensive $40 for a hub and rotor assembly is still cheaper than just about any place around.

progress is slow, got the wrong calipers, money is coming in slow, i got the small spindles from zainy, picked up some bearings and seals, the steering parts i ordered from team grandwagoneer, were stolen/lost during tracking by ups and will be resent, i got new ball joints and tool, whats the best way to remove ball joints? looking for a good slightly used tire package on 36/37. i am looking into gears also. Also Bryan has my new warn premium hubs. Still havent ordered the rotor/hub assembly since i discovered the 30.97 to be discontinued. IM still determined to be finished by the end of july, but it will all depend on money, i got a bunch for graduation but its doubtfull ill get to use any of it on this. Home Depot keeps cutting hours, and my checks are thinning.

Dang Robbie, well all i can say is **** happens.....

Robbie officially has a set of tires for his swap. Even though he's not in town now, I scored a set of 37x12.50r16 Parnelli Jones Dirt Grips for him today for $318 (the local 4wd shop got taken by the IRS and they auctioned everything off). They still have 75%+ tread. :cool:

sweet post some pics of them

bmxking5 said:
I scored a set of 37x12.50r16 Parnelli Jones Dirt Grips for him today for $318
You could have called me about this deal you know! That's it, we're through, you're sleeping on the couch tonight :frustrate

LOL...they also had a set of SSRs 35x14.50, but unfortunately they were on 16.5 8 lug rims. 16.5s are a pain to find, so I didn't bother bidding.Oh yeah, and last but not least, they had a set of 42" TSLs(they had 49" IROKs too, but the guy who had ordered them & paid in full before the company was taken got them). :cool: My boss bought a bunch of stuff (about 2k+ dollars worth of stuff) and only spent $315 :cool:

BMXking_sleepingOnTheCouchTonight said:
they were on 16.5 8 lug rims
Umm I'm FULLY converted to 8 lugs!

35s are too small anyways! Who does an SAS on 35s anymore? 37s are the new trend for bling factor. :D

bryan im gonna run 36s after my sas....does that give me some bling ?!?!?!?!?!?! :D

Back