• Register Today It's free!

285's spare options

3rdGenExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Modesto, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Explorer XLT
So I just started running 285 75 16s (33x11.5) and absolutely love them.:D Small problem is that a spare in the same size wont fit in the spare well... Dont like the idea of being stranded if i get a flat.

Ive come up with carrying a few cans of fix-a-flat, or somehow modifying my well to fit a 285.

Or is it possible to do the brown wire mod so my 4x4 cant kick on and run the smaller spare on the front (I have open diffs)? This seems really promising but i dont fully understand if it would work without destroying my diff.. Would this work?

Anyone come up with a different solution to this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have the same problem since running 33"s. i have a roof rack and went out and got a spare 33" tire and was storing on the rack. it started interfering with my cb antenna, so now the spare is sitting in my truck bed. i measured things out and i should be able to fit it under mytruck bed if i cut the tongue that seats the facotry spare. you could try that our, and if you come up with a solution, please post!

I'm planning on carrying mine on the roof rack I'm building and just throwing a canvas cover over it to protect it from the sun. A friend then suggested I fab up a steel case to go where my spare fits to carry tools and such. I think I'm going to do that...

I'm planning on carrying mine on the roof rack I'm building and just throwing a canvas cover over it to protect it from the sun. A friend then suggested I fab up a steel case to go where my spare fits to carry tools and such. I think I'm going to do that...

I have thought about buying a hitch mounted spare tire carrier for when I switch to 285's, but I may just throw it up in the basket. I do like the idea of adding a compartment for tools and such.

If you look on the last page of my registry (link in my sig), fitting a 285 spare may be possible with a 3 inch bodylift and some modifying . Or you could do what jwigs said and get a tiregate hg series

Or you could do what jwigs said and get a tiregate hg series

Just looked at the price tag on that bad boy and about pooped my pants..I think I'll stick to a simpler solution or have a guy I know help me fab one up lol. no doubt they are cool though.

I am running 285's and have a 285 spare in stock location. no body lift at all...

I am running 285's and have a 285 spare in stock location. no body lift at all...
Do you have any pics? i dont like body lifts and im wondering if i did fit it how low it would hang..

i have the same problem since running 33"s. i have a roof rack and went out and got a spare 33" tire and was storing on the rack. it started interfering with my cb antenna, so now the spare is sitting in my truck bed. i measured things out and i should be able to fit it under mytruck bed if i cut the tongue that seats the factory spare. you could try that our, and if you come up with a solution, please post!
Although i like roof racks.. im trying to avoid throwing a tire up there.. dont like the weight or the loss of any aerodynamics i still have left haha
through trimming my spare well seems a good idea. especially since i dont have exhaust back there anymore.. hmm

Also that tiregate is a really cool idea.. but i think it would be possible to fab one up that sits closer to the hatch and uses my oem bumper... or make myself a new steal bumper :D and it would probably be cheaper haha

I will post a couple as soon as my wife comes home with it

<cough>
:ttiwwp:
:D

Ill break the ice... heres a pic of the X from a day or so ago :D
80b0d2e6.jpg

So lets see those pics haha

I have seen those receiver mounts. most of them tend to rattle and loosen up inside the hitch...

Are you sure those are 285s? i mean mine look huge compared to those.. mine wont even fit w/o aftermarket offset rims.. maybe because they are mt? what do they measure in inches?

Are you sure those are 285s? i mean mine look huge compared to those.. mine wont even fit w/o aftermarket offset rims.. maybe because they are mt? what do they measure in inches?

Must be running wheel spacers...

They are 285's no wheel spacers on stock wheels...................

Back