Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

289 np435

Discussion in 'Bronco II' started by Dumple, March 14, 2018.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Dumple

Dumple New Member

Albums:
    City, State:
    Ohio
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1992 Explorer
    OK i know that a 302 and 5 speed is going to be a better option but im getting my hands on a 289 for $free.99 and i can find an np435 for cheap too. My question is does anyone currently run a small block in the 1st gen b2/ranger? Im sure i could figure out getting the 289 in there just fine but im worried about the np435. Ive currently got a 4.0 and a4ld and both arent feeling quiet right. tranny wont shift right and i miss having that skinny pedal. So i know ill need to fab up a cross member, the tranny and probably an np205, the pedal assembly, the slave, the master, the linkage for the clutch and t case, engine mounts(dufftuff) and a bigger wallet. Is there anything that im forgetting? The b2 is fairly clean on the inside and id like to not have a huge hole in the floor pan if i can avoid it. Will the shifter line up? will i need new drive shafts? Is there a major reason not to do this swap? any help is appriciated. And before anyone asks why i would want to do this, because im a free man and i can.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. roscoe 0202

roscoe 0202 Active Member

City, State:
    salt lake city utah
    1999 explorer sport
    look for a m50r2 trans it will bolt up to a 6 bolt clutch housing 289 the 5 bolt clutch housing would fit tunnel in bII better but the trans would br problematic since the housing is early narrow pattern.
    roscoe

4. Dumple

Dumple New Member

Albums:
    City, State:
    Ohio
    1992 Explorer
    Ok the 289 is a 6 bolt so I can use either one. I know the m5od-r2 is a better option but I'm specifically asking about the new process right now.