How to: - 2nd Gen Gauge Cluster Removal and LED Conversion V2 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 2nd Gen Gauge Cluster Removal and LED Conversion V2

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
This is my second and hopefully much more helpful writeup on converting the 95-01 gauge cluster to LEDs. I have tried 3 different types of 12v wedge based 194 replacements and I have finally found the one that puts out enough light and lights up the cluster evenly.

Here were my candidates.
From Left to Right: Inverted Wedge LED, Refractor LED, SMD LEDs
100_1393.jpg

The Results

Inverted Wedge LED: Even Light output, but not bright enough

Refractor LED: Horribly Uneven light output, Short Lifespan (they started blowing on me)

SMD (Surface Mount Diode): Even Light output and very bright (brighter the the 194LL Bulbs)

100_1396.jpg

Getting to the cluster:

Step 1
Remove the Radio
100_1375.jpg

Step 2
Remove the 2 screws (circled in red)
Disconnect the 5 wiring harness behind the bezel (circled in blue)
100_1376-1.jpg

100_1377.jpg

Step 3
Remove the 4 screws holding the plastic panel in place. (2 are hidden under the hood release) Then pull back on the top of the panel ( it is held in by clips)
100_1378-1.jpg

Step 4
Remove the 3 bolts holding the metal shield in place
100_1380.jpg

Step 5
Remove the 2 screws at the bottom of the gauge bezel (note the wiring harness locations circled in blue)
100_1383.jpg

Step 6
Remove the 3 screws at the top of the gauge bezel
100_1384.jpg

Step 7
Pull out the bezel enough to disconnect the 3 wiring harnesses. (Headlight Switch, Dimmer, and Rear Parking Assist) Then Remove the bezel. (Shifter must be in 1st gear)
100_1385.jpg

Step 8
Remove the 4 screws holding in the Gauge Cluster
100_1386.jpg

100_1387.jpg

Step 9
Tilt the Cluster back and remove the Shift Indicator from the cluster, there are 2 plastic tabs that must be held on each side to remove the indicator.
Disconnect the 3 wiring harness from behind the cluster, then remove the Cluster
100_1388.jpg

100_1389.jpg

Now Hopefully You are holding your Instrument Cluster and can go on to the fun part.

Remove the 6 back light bulbs from the cluster. (Circled in Red)
( I also highly recommend you also remove the THEFT light LED so you don't risk blowing it like I did when I was trying to figure out how to bench test the cluster)
The PC board on the back of the cluster is flexible so you can carefully pull the contacts where the wiring harnesses attach out of the sockets so you can attach alligator clips to bench test.
(The white wires are the - and the RED and GREEN are +)
100_1392.jpg

Here are the LEDs in the sockets. ( I used a bit of hot glue to make sure they didn't come out)
100_1390.jpg

I apologize for not having a night shot of the final product, but the camera I have with me is an absolute noise box and takes terrible low light pics. When I get back my Canon ill get some pics.

Good Luck!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just wondering though, aren't your needles supposed to be red? When you changed your LED color it changed the needle too?? That's awkward cuz in my 03 sport it has flourescent red painted on it..

Sports have red needles and white backgrounds. 4 Doors have clear needles and black backgrounds.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

be careful with the blue, I tried regular blue in my 96 cluster and it doesnt show through the red especially on the gas gauge.

I'm not converting to led but is there a brighter replacement bulb for the backlight of the cluster or is it a standard 194 bulb. Also how many do I need to replace all of them (cuz I'm getting tired of banging the dash to get the dark side to light up!)

I'm not converting to led but is there a brighter replacement bulb for the backlight of the cluster or is it a standard 194 bulb. Also how many do I need to replace all of them (cuz I'm getting tired of banging the dash to get the dark side to light up!)

I don't know if they make any brighter bulbs, if they do I wouldn't recommend using them. Brighter bulbs draw more power, more power means more heat and you run the risk of melting the cluster.

Why don't you want to switch to LEDs?

From all that i hear about the "even coverage" thing i wouldn't know if it's a good idea or not. Me personally, i really don't care what bulb it is as long as i get a bright even coverage on cluster board (led or standard) also, which ever lasts the longest without dimming is probably what i'll go with (whichever that is?) cuz i only plan on tearing my dash apart once and once only. :hammer:

From all that i hear about the "even coverage" thing i wouldn't know if it's a good idea or not. Me personally, i really don't care what bulb it is as long as i get a bright even coverage on cluster board (led or standard) also, which ever lasts the longest without dimming is probably what i'll go with (whichever that is?) cuz i only plan on tearing my dash apart once and once only. :hammer:

Then these SMD LEDs are exactly what your looking for. They are brighter then the standard bulbs, light up the cluster evenly, and will last longer then the vehicle will.

Then these SMD LEDs are exactly what your looking for. They are brighter then the standard bulbs, light up the cluster evenly, and will last longer then the vehicle will.

Hi MustangP51, how much did you get ur SMd's for anyways?

yeah how much, where, and how many would I need to replace all of them?

:ttiwwp::popcorn:

Pics!!

Jesus that's bright... I want to do it now........

Wow man that looks 20 times better than id have thought, makes me wanna do mine so much more now, i keep putting it off lol

Hm..cheapest is $5.39 for one, meaning if you bought ten it would've costed $53.90?

I have around 20 purchases from that seller, he gave me a discount on the shipping.

I bought 10 of them

The cluster needs 6

http://stores.ebay.com/notebook-edge

Ryan,

Having been a Network Engineer in a 'previous life', I've developed the habit of nailing down details like Bram Stoker's Van Helsing at an Undead Convention :rolleyes:.

1)Would you be so kind as to provide the SKU of the precise item to be purchased. The link above leads to many pages of items.
Is it the case that:
2)The
black sockets obtain their power simply by being plugged into the rear of the Instrument Panel circuit board?
3)After removing the existing bulbs from the black sockets, the LEDs plug into the black sockets WITHOUT resistors involved anywhere throughout the conversion?

My gauge cluster is black background, white text, as shown in your photos, so I am presumably seeking the white LEDs.

Thanks for the highly detailed instructions. "Verily, Thou Art Da Man."

WOW!

Speedy response! Much obliged Sir.

i know i asked this in your other thread but do these dim just like regular bulbs

Back