Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

2nd Gen Radio Installations

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by rizzjc, January 16, 2007.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. The DB

The DB Active Member

City, State:
    St. Louis
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2000 Limited SOHC
    I'm not seeing any Noise Blanker (NB) or Analog Noise Limiter (ANL) circuits in the specs on that radio on Cobras website, however I'm only seeing the DX4 version on their web site. If you have a friend with another radio that has these circuits try hooking it up and see if it has the same effect.

The DB

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. LONO100

LONO100 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Bay Area CA
    03 sport trac XLT
    how are you powering the cobra? fuse tap? cig lighter? cig lighter will give you interference for sure. if you havent tried this yet, try powering it by going straight to the battery.

here's my install, same radio. no interference.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i tapped a fuse to power it.
    [​IMG]

oh, and here's my alpine deck.
    [​IMG]

4. The DB

The DB Active Member

City, State:
    St. Louis
    2000 Limited SOHC
    Either or both of us could be correct.

On the one hand HID lights require circuitry that steps the voltage way up, and this type of circuit is known for putting noise in electrical systems.

On the other hand they use an electrical arc through specific material, think of it like many mini lightening bolts per second going off in the same spot. This generates noise that an antenna can pick up, especially with AM and SSB signals, the typed used in CB's.

I always recommend hooking radios up directly to a battery for this and other reasons, it tends to be a more stable source. I also like to fuse the line at the battery as well if possible (I've seen installations that were not and the power lines were pinched, I've seen two vehicles catch fire), you can never have to many safety features around electricity, even the lower voltages used in cars.

I would do this first, and if this does not resolve the issue follow my earlier suggestion.

The DB

5. BigBlackMerk

BigBlackMerk Member

City, State:
    Scranton, Pa
    01' Mercury Mountaineer
    Thanks guys for the reply. I am back to school for the week so when I go home Friday I will try hooking it directly to the battery and see if that helps.

6. Gabe96Explorer

Gabe96Explorer Active Member

City, State:
    DIRTAY NEW JERSAY
    96 Explorer 4x4 Sport
    Anyone tried putting the Cobra 29LX in a double din kit?

7. The DB

The DB Active Member

City, State:
    St. Louis
    2000 Limited SOHC
    I haven't but I had an LX LT for a while and it was just about the size needed to fit.

The DB

8. oblivionboyj

oblivionboyj New Member

City, State:
    Drumore, PA
    1997 Explorer XLT
    I do not have pictures to post but I just wanted to tell you THANK YOU for this idea!

I do not have any photos of what I have installed, but;
    My radio is a Midland 75-822 with a 75-821 vehicle adaptor...
    [​IMG]
    It is nice because the same radio can serve as my vehicle and handheld CB. I just keep the battery pack, fresh batteries, and a rubber duck in the truck to install when I need them (I have another handheld CB too, but this one is nicer). I just slide the radio off the vehicle mount and install the other items and viola, Im on foot :)

I tapped the fusebox on the fused side of the radio fuse and mounted a 12 volt accesory recepticle under the dash on the drivers side. The recepticle looked like this...
    [​IMG]
    The entire thing is covered in 1.5" heat shrik to protect and hide it.

I had been using a 36" magnetic mount antenna mounted on the roof, which does a respectable job, but have been looking to mount a fiberglass 1/4 wave (3 foot) I have.
    Making a mount to attach at the tailights is the way to go!

Last edited: December 29, 2011
  9. The DB

The DB Active Member

City, State:
    St. Louis
    2000 Limited SOHC
    Updated my antenna install.

This is a custom mount for any big heavy duty antenna made by a friend of mine. Its his new lower profile model. SWR's are a flat 1:1 across the CB band, in addition the antenna itself is tuned to resonance for channel 19.

Yep, that is a 102" on top. This picture is missing a small part, the quick release add in for easy removal/reinstall.
    [​IMG]

Yes it is blurry, but that is what the mount looks like above the headliner.[​IMG]

The DB

10. derek_redneck91

derek_redneck91 Active Member

City, State:
    Springfield, Ontario
    99 Explorer Sport 4x4
  11. IRONHIDE

IRONHIDE New Member

City, State:
    Magee MS
    99 Sport 4x4
    [​IMG]

My RCI 2970N2 in my 99 SPORT 4WD. I ditched the center console even tho it housed the factory 6 disc changer and rear AC. The antenna is a $21 radio shack base load with steel whip. The factory RCI bracket mounted up with NO drilling whatsoever. I'm currently pursuing my HAM tech class license, so I'm leaving room to add a YEASU 2M rig. Nothing special, just thought someone may wanna see what a larger "export" radio would like like installed in a second gen. Heres a pic of it going in, so that the mount can be seen. I had to use staggered holes, but it requires ZERO mods to the radio bracket OR the dash. The RCI 2970N2 comes with 8 AWG wiring, so of course, it's run directly to the battery.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: August 10, 2012
  12. Gabe96Explorer

Gabe96Explorer Active Member

City, State:
    DIRTAY NEW JERSAY
    96 Explorer 4x4 Sport
    Thought I would share this.

I drilled the bracket in the corners so it would take 4 screws instead of 2. this thing is ROCK solid. easy install.

I tucked the wires under the glove box using a binder clip, then pulled away the center console, grounded it in there and ran the wires through as well. then binder clipped the wires under the steering wheel along the bottom of the trim. No zip ties and no drilling to hold wires. EASY.

[​IMG]

13. RyansX

RyansX Active Member

City, State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    1998 Explorer XLT
    :confused:I know its been awhile since anybody has posted but i was wondering how you spliced the wire to the fuse? Thanks!

14. 4rd4life

4rd4life Active Member

City, State:
    nj
    99 xlt 4wd
  15. fsumotorhead

fsumotorhead Active Member

City, State:
    Monroe, MI
    '96 Explorer Sport
    Finally posting pics of my junk.

A Cobra 29-LTD CB, and a Kenwood TM-281a 2 meter.

It was challenging to find a place for a full size CB and a 2 meter with a manual trans, I had to loose the ashtray.

I also like to run 1/4 wave antennas, they are cheap and extremely durable on the trail. The last pic is of my 2m and GMRS/FRS NMO mount whips.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Turdle

Turdle Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Humboldt, KS
    2000 Mounty
    Sighs :(:(

There just doesn't seem to be a good place to install a CB in a 2nd gen with a message center.
    The tissue holder area is a good idea. Only certain small units will fit in there though, and this makes them hard to hear, for me anyway. That means an additional speaker has to be mounted somewhere. :thumbdwn:

17. derek_redneck91

derek_redneck91 Active Member

City, State:
    Springfield, Ontario
    99 Explorer Sport 4x4
    Is the message center in the same place as my cb was installed? I found it a really good location for a regular sized cobra 29 and you could still hear what people are saying pretty good because of the extra clearance under the radio. the bottom cup thing almost acts as a sound reflector.

18. The DB

The DB Active Member

City, State:
    St. Louis
    2000 Limited SOHC
    Yes.

The DB

19. Steeda04SVT

Steeda04SVT Active Member

City, State:
    Kansas City, MO
    1997 Eddie Bauer Explorer
    Anybody tried mounting the cb under the drivers seat at all?

20. traveler

traveler Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Mesa
    2000 EB Explorer 5.0
    I mounted mine in the tissue holder upside down so the onboard speaker was pointing out the tissue slot. Makes it hard to read, but until I get a small aux. speaker it'll have to do.

As far as tuning goes I was stumped until I remembered the retired gent across the street. Has enough antennas on his house and 3 vehicles to make the CIA jealous. Walked over and politely asked for help and he was happy to show me his set up (wow) and check my cb/antenna. He said it was tuned well... But I could use a better CB. He'd look and see what he had in storage. Great guy to talk to.

Last edited: November 2, 2015
  21. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

City, State:
    VA
    2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
    Turdle I know this is an old post, but I did a single DIN stack installation. Bluetooth HU on top, and a Cobra WX18 on the bottom. The Cobra has a front firing speaker, and it is a tight fit, but only in respect to the antenna cable connector. It works fine but if a 90° connector was available that would be nice. I get comments on the factory appearance and cleanliness of the installation.