Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

2nd Gen Radio Installations

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by rizzjc, January 16, 2007.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. traveler

traveler Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Mesa
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2000 EB Explorer 5.0
    Have you got any pics of that installation? I've been thinking of replacing my factory Double DIN setup with a single and I'd love it if I could get the CB out of the console.
    Are there any aftermarket single DIN head units out there that would make use of my factory amp and sub and steering wheel buttons?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

City, State:
    VA
    2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

City, State:
    VA
    2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
    Traveler, I found the photos. I have an adjustable doorjamb antenna mount at the rear hatch, mounted just above the taillight. With a quick disconnect coupling, and I alternate between a 48" FireStik II, & a 36" FireFly. The CB features weather channels, scanning, one touch 9/19, and dual watch.

About the install, a very slight amount of trimming with a knife is necessary at the factory HU opening. The mounting kit is basically the two side plates you see in photos, which I coped out to match the curved face profile of the Cobra. This helps with the depth constraints, and gives a professional appearance. Once again, a 90° antenna cable termination would certainly be desirable.

Go to Crutchfield.com and you can find a HU and confirm it's compatibility with your SWC & amp/subwoofer.

5. traveler

traveler Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Mesa
    2000 EB Explorer 5.0
    Thanks fo the pics! Very nice looking setup. Might have to add that to my list of projects to get done once I get my "money makin" car sold.

• Like Like x 1
  6. grizzlyxjim

grizzlyxjim Member

2000 Explorer XLS
    Any suggestions on a setup for a larger CB for a 99 mounty