2nd gen to 1st gen hood hinge swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd gen to 1st gen hood hinge swap

aaron81006

Reaction score
City, State
Pueblo, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer XLT
I've search the site and don't find any info. Has anyone swapped the 2nd gen hood hinge with the hydraulic lifts into a first gen? I really want to get rid of the dumb hood hold open rod. The hinges are pretty close to the same but the new ones have four bolts instead of the two. I would think that I could just drill new holes and it should work. Anyone had luck with this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got tired of that hood stand to I strutted my hood a year ago. I went down to Autozone found some struts that had a bracket built on one end and a bolt on the other. I don't know what there made for. I then used a piece of angle steel to mount off the fender. Works great when open the hood about 10" the struts push the hood up by themselfs.

Attachments

• DSCN1583.jpg
    DSCN1583.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 341

There are a few here who have added struts to the hood of their first gen, so it obviously can be done....don't think anyone ever used the hinges from a second gen though...

Thanks guys for the input. I like to not use aftermarket stuff when I can so I think I will try the 2nd gen hinges when I get a chance. If that works I will do a post if not I will probably do something like vq's.
Rock on fellow explorers.

so I went to the PNP Saturday and spent about an hour pulling the hoods off of a G1 and a G2. (It's kind of like unsupervised chaos there) I took the hinges from the G2 and put them in the holes. The holes on the firewall do not line up but I came up with an idea of making a plate with bolts for the new holes welded to it and holes for the old bolts. This would let me mount the hinges. I wasn't wholly invested in the amount of work this was going to take. Especially when I came across some cool nerf bars that really liked. I got the nerf bars and abandoned the hinges for now. You can see my new mods in the "what did you do today...." string.

Back