Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2nd gen to 1st gen hood hinge swap

Discussion in 'Modified 1991-1994 Explorers' started by aaron81006, April 25, 2015.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. aaron81006

aaron81006 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    94 explorer XLT
    I've search the site and don't find any info. Has anyone swapped the 2nd gen hood hinge with the hydraulic lifts into a first gen? I really want to get rid of the dumb hood hold open rod. The hinges are pretty close to the same but the new ones have four bolts instead of the two. I would think that I could just drill new holes and it should work. Anyone had luck with this?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. madbutcher

madbutcher Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Norway
    92 Explorer Eddie bauer
  4. vq5speed

vq5speed Active Member

City, State:
    1991 XLT Manual Locks
    Stockton,Ca
    I got tired of that hood stand to I strutted my hood a year ago. I went down to Autozone found some struts that had a bracket built on one end and a bolt on the other. I don't know what there made for. I then used a piece of angle steel to mount off the fender. Works great when open the hood about 10" the struts push the hood up by themselfs.

Attached Files:

5. 5spdman

5spdman Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Stryker, OH
    91 Explorer XLT
    There are a few here who have added struts to the hood of their first gen, so it obviously can be done....don't think anyone ever used the hinges from a second gen though...

6. aaron81006

City, State:
    Pueblo, Colorado
    94 explorer XLT
    Thanks guys for the input. I like to not use aftermarket stuff when I can so I think I will try the 2nd gen hinges when I get a chance. If that works I will do a post if not I will probably do something like vq's.
    Rock on fellow explorers.

7. mr cribb

mr cribb US Army Retired Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Harviell, MO
    94 Chevy Z71, 93 X EB
    In the junkyard I have tried matching a gen 2 hood hinge on a first, and one or two of the threaded bolt holes don't line up properly.

8. aaron81006

City, State:
    Pueblo, Colorado
    94 explorer XLT
    so I went to the PNP Saturday and spent about an hour pulling the hoods off of a G1 and a G2. (It's kind of like unsupervised chaos there) I took the hinges from the G2 and put them in the holes. The holes on the firewall do not line up but I came up with an idea of making a plate with bolts for the new holes welded to it and holes for the old bolts. This would let me mount the hinges. I wasn't wholly invested in the amount of work this was going to take. Especially when I came across some cool nerf bars that really liked. I got the nerf bars and abandoned the hinges for now. You can see my new mods in the "what did you do today...." string.

9. mr cribb

mr cribb US Army Retired Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Harviell, MO
    94 Chevy Z71, 93 X EB