Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

3.55 to 3.73 rear end swap in a 2002 V8 Eddie Bauer

Discussion in 'Tow Rig Forum' started by upei93, June 27, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. upei93

upei93 New Member

City, State:
    Dalhousie, New Brunswick
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2002 Eddie Bauer
    I'm wondering if it is possible/worth it to swap my 3.55 rear end to a 3.73 so I can tow a 21 foot ultra light travel trailer. Can you just pull the gears and replace or does the whole rear end have to be changed?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. thebrakeman

thebrakeman Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Canton, Michigan
    2006 Mercury Mountaineer
    It would basically be done like an axle rebuilt. Go to a trusted axle shop (or the stealership), and ask them about it. They drain the fluid, open the case, pull out the gearing, clean the innerds, insert new gearing, seal, refill with new fluid.

If the truck is 4WD or AWD, both axles need the treatment.

Are you plannin to keep this truck much longer? If not, definitely worth considering finding an '09 or '10 Explorer. More power, better gas mileage, and full tow capacity with the 3.55 gearing due to the 6-speed auto.

4. Ronin8002

Ronin8002 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Virginia
    2008 XLT Ironman
    You can find a used 3.73 differential and swap that in place of your 3.55 rear end. Might be cheaper than paying to regear it from 3.55

I assume your truck is 2wd; if it's 4WD then you need to swap in a 3.73 front differential as well.