300K runs fine but time to rebiuld | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

300K runs fine but time to rebiuld

trollkepr

Reaction score
City, State
OKC, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 2X4
I bought a 93 2X4 last month with 300K on it with no motor work. I did have water in the right exhaust manifold but Bars Leak cured that. ;) I have the time and a little money to rebuild the motor and have a dependable truck.

Are there any reasonable mods on a new motor that would make the truck as dependable but more economical? I will do the KN intake mod.

What rear end ratio's are available?

Rebulid or buy a low mile motor? from where?

I have a knock coming from my fuel pump banging in my tank. Anyone know why?

Russ

trollkepr said:
I bought a 93 2X4 last month with 300K on it with no motor work. I did have water in the right exhaust manifold but Bars Leak cured that. ;) I have the time and a little money to rebuild the motor and have a dependable truck.

Are there any reasonable mods on a new motor that would make the truck as dependable but more economical? I will do the KN intake mod.

What rear end ratio's are available?

Rebulid or buy a low mile motor? from where?

I have a knock coming from my fuel pump banging in my tank. Anyone know why?

Russ

Id say rebuild it. Check out... http://www.deltacam.com/ They sell a quality Pushrod/rockerarm assembly kit to replace the (mainly) worn parts in the OHV

The main reason why i wouldnt buy a used, low milage one is the fact that its probably going to be OVERLY expensive; It is the fact 4.0 parts (heads, long block...) are about double compared to 5.0 long blocks. A Bit radical for my blood.

rear end ratios...

3.08 (rare, but they are out there)
3.27 (I think 92's were mainly equiped with these)
3.55 (I think these were more common in 91 and 93)
3.73 (these are pretty common accross the board)

There are axle codes, i dont know what they are by heart but do a search for 'axle codes' at the top of the page and you will find what you need.

Knock from the fuel tank? dont know, try a search :thumbsup:

Back