302 Aluminum Head weight

kert0307

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Pella, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport and '89 B2
How much weight will I save if I switch to aluminum heads on a marine 302, as opposed to the stock cast steel/iron ones?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm thinking of this strictly from a weight standpoint. I'm going from an inline 4cyl to a 302 in a 16ft boat. If I can switch to aluminum intake and heads and make some other modifications on the exhaust side I can probably shave at least 150-200 lbs off the weight of the engine. The "stock" 180hp from the 302 is plenty for the size of boat this is going in.

Ok, what I'm finding is that bare stock heads weigh about 50lbs each and bare aluminum are around 20lbs each. So If I swap them out I'll shave about 60lbs. SO the big question is, is $600 for new heads worth 60lbs...

I think for right now I'll stick with switching the intake manifold and exhaust over and see how it goes once it's on the water. $600 right now could really go towards getting this thing on the water a lot faster this summer. I can always upgrade later.

I don't think so...but then again I pump water into the boats I run :)

60 lbs isn't that much weight

it's 2 cases of beer, 10 lbs of ice and a cooler

it's 8 1/2 gallons of gas

it's not something I'd spend 600 on unless I was racing.

I think you may lose capacity for 1 person with your new engine vs. your old one but I wouldn't spend the bank trying to shave the weight.

Back