Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

302 block advise

Discussion in 'Dannyboy's Marina - Boats and Personal Water Craft' started by kert0307, May 7, 2013.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. kert0307

kert0307 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Pella, Iowa
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '00 Sport and '89 B2
    I decided to do some upgrades to the 302 in my boat this summer. After I pulled the heads off I noticed one of the cylinders had some evidence of rust pitting. I took the block to get machined and I just got a call that that cylinder wont clean up .030 over and they recommend sleeving it. The other cylinders are also worn enough they will need bored .030, but will be fine otherwise. So my question is, do I spend the money to sleeve this block and get it in top shape or take my chances on finding another "good" used block to use. I'm guessing I will have $350ish into this one by the time I'm all said and done and it's pressure tested, sleeved, bored, and new cam bearings installed. The block is a 1975 vintage. With my other parts I'm adding to it it should be close to 300hp with plenty of torque...

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.