302 swap sport | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

302 swap sport

You don't need to do anything with the brakes, 98-01 are all the same.

The injectors do have to match the fuel rails and connectors. 99+ injectors changed with the higher fuel pressure, the connectors are different, which match the wiring harness. So you need the 99-2001 fuel injectors, with the 99 engine harness for the engine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You don't need to do anything with the brakes, 98-01 are all the same.

The injectors do have to match the fuel rails and connectors. 99+ injectors changed with the higher fuel pressure, the connectors are different, which match the wiring harness. So you need the 96-98 fuel rail and injectors, with the 98 engine harness for the engine.
Okay. Will I have any wiring issues? The ecu and harness I have in my 99 are from a 01 mounty. None of the pinouts changed from 98-01 in regards to ecu and all of that?

There were almost no changes from 99-01, besides the Sport/Sport trac model mid year changes. You should be good with wiring in general. Just go slow and be sure all connections are secure, all terminal pins inside are right(not pushed down in).

You need the V8 returnless fuel rail and injectors, they are white in 99-01
The injectors are different because return style fuel rail runs at 38 psi the returnless runs at 65 psi, big difference.
I ALWAYS replace all of the injector O rings, Felpro sells them in pairs or a kit for the 8 cyl engine at your local parts store.
I also always bench test/clean each injector. Its really pretty easy. I have an adapter I made with a red straw for carb cleaner can, an old tire/wheel rubber valve stem and some JB weld. Basically you hook each injector up to the can of carb cleaner and then activate the injector with a 12V battery and switch while spraying cleaner through them. This shows you the spray pattern and condition of each injector before you install them. Factory bosch injectors are very tough even old sticky ones can come back to life this way..........
Fuel rail and injector cups get cleaned with Q tips and carb cleaner, the new injector O rings get installed with vaseline

This should literally plug directly into your 98's fuel line

410, I have a 2002 Ex Sport that I have pulled the 4.0 and have the 5.0 ready to go in. The 5.0 came out of a 2000 EX Limited donor that I still have. I have looked at the wiring harnesses between the 2 and there is some differences in the pin positions. Are there some obstacles that I have to look for or can I just plug the engine harness in to the existing harness and be good?

you need to make a map of the C-115 42 pin plug
Map out the 2000 limited 5.0 side
map out the 2002 4.0 sport side
See where the differences are, they should be very minimal and easy to overcome

It is good you have the entire donor you may need some simple parts to overcome the pats anti theft and any abs issues

Back