32s with 3.73 gears? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

32s with 3.73 gears?

Is anyone running 32s on 3.73 gears? I have a 96 Explorer with the V6 and 4r55e transmission. I know I'd be fine running the 30 ones but I want to know if it's worth trying to push for 32s. I plan on doing an add a leaf and torsion twist for a lift, I know the transmission is kind of wimpy and it all has a hundred eighty-one thousand miles but some people say it's good and some people say it's not. I'm not really crazy about doing some trimming but I plan on owning the truck till it dies so I might as well. I'd bu using Pro Comp 15x8 steelies as well. It's my daily driver and mostly highway, but occasionally off road and beach driving.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ran 86lb 285/75/16s (32.6") on 3.73's with a 5r55e.

It's not a problem. Truck will move just fine.

It's in my sig for "Red Bull". Used to be a V6 SOHC with the 5r55e. Lift is about 2.5" with specially trimmed front fenders to clear the larger tires.

You will surely notice the power loss, especially with the OHV. It will also put a hurt on your MPG. If this is mostly a road truck, I’d go with a smaller tire. 32s will also tax the 4r55e, which isn’t terribly stout to begin with.

You will surely notice the power loss, especially with the OHV. It will also put a hurt on your MPG. If this is mostly a road truck, I’d go with a smaller tire. 32s will also tax the 4r55e, which isn’t terribly stout to begin with.

Right, my transmission is the main thing I'm thinking about. I don't care about power, as you've said the OHV has little to begin with haha I do have a transmission cooler I installed, which I put in simply because I've read almost all the older Explorer transmissions die from heat. And I actually can get 17 mpg on a good day with my 235s, so a little less mpg won't really bother me too much.

Back