33" tires and 3.73gears | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

33" tires and 3.73gears

Hey guys,

Quick question for you all with 33" tires.

What gears do you run with?

I have 3.73 gears stock and will upgrade to 33" soon. Just wanting to hear about performance issues etc.

If I do upgrade gears as well, should I go to 4.10 or jump to 4.56?

In terms of gas mileage, will the extra jump be noticeable? (I know performance will be better)

Cheers,
BK

My '97 SOHC 4x4 came stock from Ford with 30" tires and a 4.10 axle. If I were to upgrade to 33" tires, I would need to regear to a 4.56 to keep it as close as possible to the original RPM. My 4.10 is now turning 32" tires and whenever I get into the mountains, I keep wishing I had 4.56s. I did loose some off-the-line performance with the taller tires. Putting a 4.56 in would get it back.
Hi guys so mainly for Robert but any info is welcome but I have a '00 exp that has the 4l sohc and a 5r55e auto trans and am currently running a 32.1" tire (285/45-22) and plan on going to a slightly larger 32.8" tire and currently have a 4.10 open dif. I would like to switch to a LSD in order to gain more positive traction to both wheels from a dead stop. I mainly need help knowing what gears I could run that would give me the added performance along with being as compatible as possible with the 32.1" and 32.8" tire. Any info on which setup in theory would give me better acceleration and mileage would be appreciated along with any info.

My '97 SOHC 4x4 came stock from Ford with 30" tires and a 4.10 axle. If I were to upgrade to 33" tires, I would need to regear to a 4.56 to keep it as close as possible to the original RPM. My 4.10 is now turning 32" tires and whenever I get into the mountains, I keep wishing I had 4.56s. I did loose some off-the-line performance with the taller tires. Putting a 4.56 in would get it back.
Hi guys so mainly for Robert but any info is welcome but I have a '00 exp that has the 4l sohc and a 5r55e auto trans and am currently running a 32.1" tire (285/45-22) and plan on going to a slightly larger 32.8" tire and currently have a 4.10 open dif. I would like to switch to a LSD in order to gain more positive traction to both wheels from a dead stop. I mainly need help knowing what gears I could run that would give me the added performance along with being as compatible as possible with the 32.1" and 32.8" tire. Any info on which setup in theory would give me better acceleration and mileage would be appreciated along with any info.

I really like my combo of 4.10s with 33s. My build is an overland focused build so road manners and gas mileage was a concern. With the bigger tires I lost 2-3 mpgs, but overall I'm really happy with it's manners both on and off road. The Mule will go 70 all day and it does really well on hill climbs and I feel like there is good control on decents.

Back