Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

33" tires and 3.73gears

Discussion in 'Tires & Wheels' started by MeatyCrab, May 7, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Sheepdog95

Sheepdog95 New Member

City, State:
      Fairfield, AL
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '00 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC
      Callsign:
      Sheepdog
      Hi guys so mainly for Robert but any info is welcome but I have a '00 exp that has the 4l sohc and a 5r55e auto trans and am currently running a 32.1" tire (285/45-22) and plan on going to a slightly larger 32.8" tire and currently have a 4.10 open dif. I would like to switch to a LSD in order to gain more positive traction to both wheels from a dead stop. I mainly need help knowing what gears I could run that would give me the added performance along with being as compatible as possible with the 32.1" and 32.8" tire. Any info on which setup in theory would give me better acceleration and mileage would be appreciated along with any info.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Sheepdog95

Sheepdog95 New Member

City, State:
      Fairfield, AL
      '00 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC
      Callsign:
      Sheepdog
      Hi guys so mainly for Robert but any info is welcome but I have a '00 exp that has the 4l sohc and a 5r55e auto trans and am currently running a 32.1" tire (285/45-22) and plan on going to a slightly larger 32.8" tire and currently have a 4.10 open dif. I would like to switch to a LSD in order to gain more positive traction to both wheels from a dead stop. I mainly need help knowing what gears I could run that would give me the added performance along with being as compatible as possible with the 32.1" and 32.8" tire. Any info on which setup in theory would give me better acceleration and mileage would be appreciated along with any info.

4. InspirationExplorer

InspirationExplorer New Member

City, State:
      Bourbonnais
      1999 Explorer Sport
      I really like my combo of 4.10s with 33s. My build is an overland focused build so road manners and gas mileage was a concern. With the bigger tires I lost 2-3 mpgs, but overall I'm really happy with it's manners both on and off road. The Mule will go 70 all day and it does really well on hill climbs and I feel like there is good control on decents.