• Register Today It's free!

347 question

buya27

Reaction score
City, State
Cambridge,IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Ranger
I have a 2000 ranger w/a 5.0 out of a 99 explorer. I am wanting to do the 347 crate engine, my question is can I use the cam sensor and all the electrics for the 5.0 on a 347 crate engine instead of using the distributer..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should check out my thread as I am exploring this:

But the short answer is you need this:

Dampener sources:
ron at damper dudes Welcome to Damperdudes.net
Thier dampener specifically made to work with the Explorer front dress and ingnition trigger wheel, reballanced to 28oz:
PN: FO3024EX28OZ
(Just under $200 as of 8/2021)

That post is a decade old.

Heh better late than never

1629828535088.jpeg

Wow, there is some good old threads here, 10 years ago!

I built a stroked and blown 349....................

... damper dudes Welcome to Damperdudes.net
Thier dampener specifically made to work with the Explorer front dress and ingnition trigger wheel, reballanced to 28oz:
PN: FO3024EX28OZ
(Just under $200 as of 8/2021)

That balancer is not made by them, it's a stock Explorer balancer(50oz) that they drilled into to re-balance it to 28oz. That is the common choice for a 347 with the Explorer PCM etc, but note it's not for high rpm. Keep the rpm down if possible with that OEM balancer, it will come apart over time if it sees 6000rpm or more.

Lol, sorry for not noticing how old this was. Thanks for the advice on the rpms also. I do not plan to do any excursions in to the 6k rpm range so that should be fine.

Back