• Register Today It's free!

351W in 95+

expobronc

Reaction score
City, State
Hayward, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 V8
Well, boys and girls, I still havent started my AWD to 4x4 conversion, but I'm already worried that alone wont free enough hp. My 92 5-speed was faster :( So here's the question? Is my 5.0 the H.O./351 firing order?? If it is the only thing I can see stalling a 351W swap would be a lower gt-40 intake and maybe hood clearance... But what do you guys think?? should I do a 351W and a shift kit? or while I'm buying a new adapter to the tranny to t-case should I swap in a t-5?? That seems like more work to me. But I think a 351, with a mild cam, different t/c, and some good heads, a shift kit, and exhaust. I should have a bad ass fast and good pulling machine...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well the 351w is a really big engine and I really don't think it would fit in the explorer with out a lot of modification. I know a bunch of guys with the t-5 tranny. some like it some hate it. if you were to do the t-5 I would suggest finding a upgraded one.

i dont think its gonna happen, but good luck if it does

The 351W will fit well in the Explorer, however, you forgot four other more difficult pieces to work through:

1) The crank trigger wheel needs to be adapted to the 351W balancer. (351 and 302 have different balance weigths, so cannot use the same damper

2) The cam position sensor (distributor shaft) needs to be adapted to run the larger oil pump drive of the 351W.

3) The oil pan on a 351W is different, since the rear bearing support is larger. You will need to cut a steel Explorer Oil pan and weld in the larger "half circle" from a 351W oil pan

4) Headers will need to be custom to fit with the raised exhaust ports.

I put alot of though into this combo, but have since scrapped in favor of doing a blower. The cost of a 302 with blower would be similar to a custom fit and prepped 351W and the blown 302 would have more low end torque than the Windsor. (I am looking at KB blowers, not centrifugal).

Good luck if you decided to do this. I may look to go to a stroker 351W with the blower in a few years, but I have to take baby steps first! :D

Just use a stroked 302 if you want the CI. The package will be much easier to get in the bay judging from the posts on the conversion threads.

I thought I saw complete 347 short blocks for 2700 bucks at Summit.

Reliability and oil usage become issues with stroker 302s. A 331 is about the biggest you can go before issues with side wall loading and oil usage. CHP says they have a 100K mile 347 package, but I don't necessarily believe it.

Plus for $2700, why not just supercharge a stock 302 and have much more power and better reliability? I have looked at many dyno runs on all kinds of 302, 331,347,351 packages and they are all similar, until you get into high RPM. With the explorer, we need low and mid, so even a 351 is not a huge leap forward.

I have owned 2 cars with 347's and have never had any problems with oil useage. As far as reliabilty goes I know 2 mustangs with 80,000 miles on 347's daily driven. My explorer has 25,000 miles with no problems with the motor. All those 347's that eat oil where built by idiots. You cant get any more reliable power than a natuarlly asperated strooker motor because there is less chance of detination then with a blower. I always have to worry about blowing up my motor when it is too hot outside in the Miami heat. If I had to do it over I would use a 347 with NOS because it is more reliable than a blower.

FMS 347

The block I was speaking of is assembled by Ford- 10:1 comp with 60cc heads is what it said.

yea i suppose... does anyone know if they 96-97 f-250's (i think still had the 351) use the obd-II??

I don't want to get into a lot of rewiring BS. I know the pan is different, but what I was thinking is taking a junk 351 pan and grafting the rear seal on to an EX pan or do you think a simple EB dual sump would work? As far as the flywheel, I think it would be easier to rebalance the flywheel than to adapt the crank trigger?

Hmmmm... I thought about the whole 347 thing but Troll already did it. I love origianlity. Plus I just swapped a 351 in my mustang. It really didnt take up anymore width, just height. I think Ex-headers would fit, but the down tubes would have to be a inch or so higher.

oh plus i thought you had to grind the piston skirt or something to clear the connecting rod in a 347???

expobronc, yes, the 96-97 would have had OBD-II, but I cannot say wether they had DIS or would wire into your Explorer harness. Any 351W could be converted over to run with the DIS and Explorer harness. The only issues would be the crank and cam sensors. There is a place in MI here that has a 351W in a stang with the DIS from and explorer. I will post when i can remember their name.

Just make sure you know what you are getting and that you will be satisfied with the result. A 351W swap is involved and without some good hp improvements, will not be a quantum leap forward at low rpm. A quantum leap would be a 392 or 408 stroked windsor! You can do these strokers for nearly the cost of a complete rebuild. Just a though.

Oh, also, you will need to massage the dash panel near the accelerator pedal to clear the valve cover. With the Explorer headers, take a good look at the steering shaft clearance. I really think you will be into new headers with the 1" higher and1" wider location.

Aside from the engine, how are you going to 4x4? I am trying to sort out that on my Ranger now. I have the AWD case in now, but have an F150 case in my garage. Is that what you are planning to use?

tmsoko... That s great, I really needed someone else to say it could be done! The reason I'm looking at this is because my 98 already has 93K on the clock. It still runs like a champ, but like I said before my 170k v-6 yet 5-speed 92 expo ran faster! I would like to comforably pull my 67 mustang with this beast.

As for the 4x4. I'm just gonna use a standard 1354 with probably the elec shift and get the AA adapter...

The're is another guy with it done that way. Look under projects and look for "AWD----------> 4x4"

I'm not sure the f-150 case isn't too wide for the expo's frame rails.

I dunno I know a junk yard with a 43K 351 from 97 f-250 that they want like $800 for. I may pick it up when my next bonus check comes and start chipping away at that project. I figure with a mild cam I may notice a slight improvement over my "dog" 5.0 now

bump

Back