3800 M90 Build | Page 27 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3800 M90 Build

Ok the cats out the bag!!im going supercharged .its a 3800 gm m90.i need lots of help as im a nos guy.for starters my list of mods is in my signature.the guy im buying it from ran it on a stock tuned motor at 3psi.first question is what is the "safe" limit to run boost at?i know it is not ideal but i have a wide band O2 and will be doing tuning very soon.i also will be trying to have my company make a new lower intake mounting bracket on the cnc machine and have it taped for nos/water meth injectors/spray bars.i will also be getting a p+p unit from 3800 performance and stepping down on the pulley to try and run 8-10psi.what size injectors should i run for that?which fuel pump should i run?any suggestions on tuning?i was going to go mega squirt but i see sct has a new chip out,any suggestions?

DONE

ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

dyno run,these was the last two pulls with the 2.7 and the alternator was bad.turn your volume down!!

and a 3.25 pull and think my rev is still set to 5000 in this one

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We can all hardly wait!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

We can all hardly wait!

This to me has been the most expensive roller coasters i ever been one...been soo stressful and frustrating ..90% is how ive been raised and end up over doing everything.i just cant wait to see it,that will relieve so much.then its just all on me to finish and ive never missed a deadline. Ever!!had a wheel fall off last time on the test drive 30 mins before we left but made it!!

Makes you want to rip all your clothes off and run screaming through the woods...

Makes you want to rip all your clothes off and run screaming through the woods...

Not a pretty picture!

Yes, JD, your build is pretty over the top. Im sure your gong to be really happy once you get the kinks out of it. I think the power that motor is going to make thru the whole rpm range will be pretty amazing.

Not a pretty picture!

Yes, JD, your build is pretty over the top. Im sure your gong to be really happy once you get the kinks out of it. I think the power that motor is going to make thru the whole rpm range will be pretty amazing.

Yea im sure it will be pretty sweet and one of a kind.havent seen any other first gens on here with a m90;) charger went out today and will be here tomorrow! !its nice and sunny out today so should be getting alot done today.its been raining here like crazy.my other gauges will be here tomorrow also.

Glad to see things are moving in the right direction.... I noticed you had some frustration not long ago.

Yea the biggest pia is just trying to get parts here on time or people to do work.should be down hill from here;)

Well got ALL my parts in,including the charger.as all ways there is problems.the hub for the quick swap is bad,it has 5 holes drilled and tapped.on hole is off and the pulley wont fit!. They are going to next day one out monday.the port guy sent me back someone else's charger.my charger had thr top tab of the inlet cut off for clearance. I dont care tho i really wish mine didnt have it cut off.this charger looks way better than my old one.inside walls are nice and smooth and the blades look real good.it appears he coatrd the whole blad not just the tip tho.he also did not include tubes of oil unless its in the charger and he did not port match the tb gasket like advertise. I think he could of polished it even smotther but beside that it looks real good.no slop or rattle or anything,like a brand new charger.the clearances must be way tighter and sure the coating needs to wear in also but it feels much tighter and more resistance to spin.i now need to make a new flang for the inlet as the one i cut out fit my old charger.im going to port match my inlet to match the flange,its a little larger.beat the **** out of the fire wall and had to remove my kickdown cable but it looks like its going to fit.gota refit it after i make this new flange then i can weld it all up.if i cant get that all done this weekend or very close im going to have to throw in the towl and put everything back to stock for my trip on june 15. Ill post some pics after this weekend.

Tough time line. You will have everything together, but the tweaking pieces and tuning will be a tight time line. It's reliability. You will be doing a trial by fire.

Tough time line. You will have everything together, but the tweaking pieces and tuning will be a tight time line. It's reliability. You will be doing a trial by fire.

Mine is going to be dyno tuned.none of that going back and forth stuff.it wont leave the dyno till its good to go.making parts from scratch and fitting it all is going to be the hard part,tuning im not worried about.

got alot done today,just needs to be all welded.going to start that tomorrow.getting real close now:)pics
old inlet

2012-03-06222220.jpg

new inlet
scinlet.jpg

old outlet

bottom.jpg

new outlet
scoutlet.jpg

and the quick swap hub that has the hole drilled wrong
badhub.jpg

badhub2.jpg

I should crop and point out the huge differences in the inlet and outlet,but i wont.every time i compare its crazy.you really would have to see in person,its like night and day.this thing should perform really good.;) im sooo excited now...see the light at the end of the tunnel! !;)

well welding is not going good at all:( starters we have the wrong rod size and tungsten.hopefully monday we can get the right ones and practice some more.i think we will end up having someone come over and do it or taking it some where.i would have liked to have all the welding done today so i could have the rest of the week to mount and do little things.im done with everything except small brackets and changing connectors on the maf.i need to look to see if they both have the same wire colors or if i should just go by same pin/same wire swap.looks like im dead in the water till the hub and this welding gets done:(
pics of the charger:)
2012-06-03160945.jpg

2012-06-03161704.jpg

2012-06-03161006.jpg

2012-06-03161734.jpg

and one out of the sun,looks totally different
:D
2012-06-03232442.jpg

Supercharger looks great!
Yea, the welding. There is some real skill needed there. Are you trying to do thin guage? Minor setback. Your almost there.

Supercharger looks great!
Yea, the welding. There is some real skill needed there. Are you trying to do thin guage? Minor setback. Your almost there.

Its 3mm thick. Its all the intake tubing.im sure we can figure it out or ill have to get someone to do it

Updates coming REAL SOON!;);)! Only one problem, i wasnt sure if i would get it done in time so i had been putting off getting the engine specs to the tuner till i was sure.he wanted them last week to get them back this week.i emailed and talked to him Monday afternoon. Said he would get started right away but he is super busy and leaving Friday to go to the track this weekend.so said it may be Monday before he got me the base tune.well i havent heard back yet so i assume its going to be Monday. I also changed the dyno tune to Tuesday. This is going to suck having everything done and not being able to start it till Monday! !:(

Hang on to your shirt's. Your going for a quick ride. You will be a busy boy over the next few days guessing, and second guessing yourself. I hope your going in to this rested.

Hang on to your shirt's. Your going for a quick ride. You will be a busy boy over the next few days guessing, and second guessing yourself. I hope your going in to this rested.

I havent slept in weeks!!!:(

Just a teaser;)
2012-06-08235117.jpg

And what i came from.like a 2" pipe and a stock Explorer tb;( that trash was not going on my truck!!
1-6.jpg

Back