• Register Today It's free!

3M Paint Protection Film

11Limited

Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
Has anyone added the paint protection film to the front ends of your Explorer yet.

If you have how did it turn out and how many $$s

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got a roll of the material. I was going to use it on the quarter panel of my race car to keep the rubber from burnouts from sticking to the paint. I applied it, and just couldn't leave it on there because I didn't like the way it looked. I could definitely tell it was there and it bugged me.

That is the first thing that I do to any new vehicle we get. i spent a bundle because I pit a lot on 24 in on hood, fenders, front bumper, grill, headlights,fog lights, loading area of rear bumper, door handle pockets, door sills, and a piece across the roof above windshield (I didn't realize how low the roof line came down). In CO we get a lot of rocks kicked up during the winter. It is barely visible on my color (White Platinum) but can really be visible on dark colors so you may not like it. If you were to do a minimum amount I would do the hood fenders and lights. Sorry to be so wordy.

KSN,

I'm curious, how much $$ would one expect to pay for all that area to be protected?

If you can get over the fact that there will be a slight ridge on your hood, you will definitely save the paint. I had a XC70 Volvo that I had the front portion of the hood done and it still looks great. Not sure how much it was in the end

KSN,

I'm curious, how much $$ would one expect to pay for all that area to be protected?

Just under 1k. I hate chips so it is worth it to me and I have a thousand dollar deductible so wouldn't use insurance for that type of repair.

KSN, Wow that is a hefty amount.

I had mine done yesterday, 300.00. It included a 24" strip on the hood, mirrors, back bumper and chrome name plates on door sill.

Those sills are screaming "scratch me" without any protection

I have seen it crack on some cars and then it makes it look worse then having rock chips. Being from the Buena Vista, Colorado, I have never used the crap on any of my cars/trucks. To me it's not worth the extra $. So if you plan on keeping the X for awhile it'll crack at look like crap or if expect to get rid of it, get it and let someone else worry about it!

I have seen it crack on some cars and then it makes it look worse then having rock chips. Being from the Buena Vista, Colorado, I have never used the crap on any of my cars/trucks. To me it's not worth the extra $. So if you plan on keeping the X for awhile it'll crack at look like crap or if expect to get rid of it, get it and let someone else worry about it!

I have never had that happen to any of my vehicle but I heard cheap stuff will do that. I also think it depends on the care of the vehicle. i have seen paint that looks like crap because people never take care of it. Believe me I have seen some of those yellow and brown cracking clear bras and it does look like crap. If you do it do you research and not just look at price.

My recommendation is to get it professionally done and make sure the paint is swirl free.

Here is a cool link from the FT forum on a similar product install: CLICK

Back