Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

3rd Gen CB install

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by Cozmik, January 2, 2009.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. nmpfeiff

nmpfeiff Member

City, State:
    Advance, NC
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2002 Eddie Bauer
    I got the 29 probably about twice as big as you 19. I am 6-4 so we a pretty darn close so I may put it on the drivers side. That way the speaker faces out bc I don't want to buy an external speaker yet to get in the way.

Explorers just do not have a lot of room or free space. Imagine me and you in one of those smart cars or whatever they are.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Cozmik

Cozmik Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Kitchener, Ontario
    '07 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
    I must say in my old 98 Sport it was nice having all that open space under the ashtray. Lots of room for the radio.

As for Smart Cars, sat in one. I've driven bigger Golf carts!! ;)

4. nmpfeiff

nmpfeiff Member

City, State:
    Advance, NC
    2002 Eddie Bauer
    Yeah my F-250 has a ton of space under the dash with plenty of options to mount a CB. I think the consul makes the vehicle look smaller then it is. My parents have a Toyota van and it has a lot of free space under the dash which makes it look bigger but it is really not. My knees cram into the glove box because of the way the made it.

Hope we are never forced to drive those little cars but if we are I will be sure to get a 102 inch whip to go on the back.

edit: check this out http://images.loqu.com/contents/755/576/image/080909/smart-car-with-monster-truck-wheels/5.jpg

5. Cozmik

Cozmik Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Kitchener, Ontario
    Spent the last 2 days on the highway for just over an hour each way. Loving my CB. Next week I may the 500+ mile trek to just west of Chi-town. Really looking forward to CB going through Jackson County Michigan. :cool:

6. nmpfeiff

nmpfeiff Member

City, State:
    Advance, NC
    2002 Eddie Bauer
    Glad to hear you like yours. I love mine but having it about 6 months I don't believe there is a lot of talking hear in North Carolina. I will go 50 miles on the interstate and hear silence. The strange part is I pass speed traps and none of the truckers give a report. Anyway it is great though when you pass people you know on the road and you can talk with them. All of my old high school and college friends have CB's on their trucks.

7. Cozmik

Cozmik Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Kitchener, Ontario
    I actually bought mine for my old Sport for trail communication when off road. Having it in my EB and using it on the highway just kinda happened. No regrets about that, it actually gets used a lot more now.

8. Rofocowboy84

Rofocowboy84 Active Member

City, State:
    Royersford, PA
    '04 XLT
    Do you ever call them out? Can't expect people to call out traps if you don't reciprocate....also, the best way to get people to talk is by starting to talk yourself...

9. nmpfeiff

nmpfeiff Member

City, State:
    Advance, NC
    2002 Eddie Bauer
    Yeah I call out everything I see and when I do no one really responds or they are kind of like whatever. I guess the main reason is truckers really don't speed that much anymore. I rarely see a truck going over 65 mph around here. I guess it is because of the high price of fuel and the heavy loads they are carrying.

I usually like to run around 75 in a 65 because the other cars around me run around 85. I got the whistler pro 78 radar detector but I am not really confident with it with developing technology in radar. Plenty of times I have seen bears sitting and pick up nothing because they have instant on radar. If they see you flying they can turn it on and clock you in seconds giving you no time to slow down when the radar detector starts going off. I was kind of hoping the CB would be a good defense for this. I seen 4 DOT cops sitting on the side of two lane highway and warned the 6 trucks I met about a mile on down the road and didn't get no response. Anyway I do know my radio works because I talk to my friend on the road.

By the way I didn't post pics because I just crammed the radio in between the seat and consul. I tried 3M mounting tape and it wasn't strong enough.

10. dsyring

dsyring New Member

City, State:
    Oklahoma
    '04 Limited
    Where did you get that Jotto Desk center console for 3rd gen explorer. I can only find a Havis one for 3rd gen. On the Jotto Desk site they only have a 4th gen one.

11. nmpfeiff

nmpfeiff Member

City, State:
    Advance, NC
    2002 Eddie Bauer
    Has anyone mounted to the bumper on the 3rd gen.? Pics would be great!

12. n.gardner

n.gardner Active Member

City, State:
    Bel Air, MD
    '02 XLS
    wow u guys got some nice set ups, mine is just on top of the dash with the mic hanging from the visor

13. rizzjc

rizzjc Scubajoe - Radio Mod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Garner, NC
    '97 AWD V8 XLT
    Callsign:
    N1LVN
    Whatever works! ;)

14. dirtball619

dirtball619 Member

City, State:
    san diego
    02 eddie b. 4x4 4.6L V8
    HERE IS MINE IN MY 2002. EASIEST INSTALL IVE EVER DONE. THERE ARE EXTRA POWER POINT WIRES UNDER THE CONSOLE.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. MCD04EB

MCD04EB Active Member

City, State:
    Oklahoma City, OK
    '04 Eddie Bauer
    thought i would throw up some pictures of my cb mounted, havent connected it yet..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Cozmik

Cozmik Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Kitchener, Ontario
    Resurrected again, crazy. Nice set ups guys. Dirtball, I like that console mount you went with. I'd do that but I use that storage area daily. Also, what Pioneer deck are you running? DVD and Nav? I'm thinking about upgrading my deck again.

As for CB's, I've changed that again too. And my antenna. The radio is a Uniden PC78LTW, and I've gone with a glass mount antenna. No pics of the antenna but this is the Uniden mounted...

[​IMG]

MCD04EB, how does that set up work with your knees? I'm pretty sure I'd bash myself everytime I got into the truck.

17. MCD04EB

MCD04EB Active Member

City, State:
    Oklahoma City, OK
    '04 Eddie Bauer
    I actually dont hit it with my knees at all. when i get in i have no problems as well as getting out. im about 6', but i havent had problems with it yet

18. Colin02Explorer

Colin02Explorer New Member

City, State:
    Rochester, NY
    2002 Explorer XLS
    Last edited: June 28, 2012