Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

3rd gen explorer manual transmission

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by a_smithy23, January 3, 2015.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. a_smithy23

a_smithy23 New Member

City, State:
    Toronto, Ontario
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2004 Ford Explorer
    this is my first post so i hope ive done everything correctly and got it all in the right threads! i know theres lots of threads about putting a manual transmission into an explorer but im a novice navigating the forum and working on fords so if this has been answered already sorry for beating a dead horse. far as i can tell only the 4.0l 3rd gens will accept an m5od-r1 transmission directly. but ive also seen that the older f150s with a 4.6l engine (i think its the 281) will accept a m5od-r2 transmission bolt on. my question is why would a f150 4.6l be able to run with a m5r2 but an exploder 4.6l couldnt replace its 5r55s (i think thats whats in the 04, 4x4s) with a m5r2. thanks a lot for any comments or opinions on the matter, id love to put a manual transmission in but it seems like it might be a bit of a massive (and expensive) project. and happy new year everyone!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. JakePSD

JakePSD Active Member

City, State:
    Ohio
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2003 Mercury Mountaineer
    I'd also like to know this.