3rd Gen Ford Explorer V8 Under-Drive Pulley and Electric Fan Installation | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd Gen Ford Explorer V8 Under-Drive Pulley and Electric Fan Installation

Yes, it is a two speed fan. It is 2" larger in diameter than the Taurus fan, although they are very similar otherwise.

I'm confused now.where is the wire for the low speed? On my Taurus fan it has three wires, low speed, high speed and ground.

On another note reason I even came across this thread, I was searching the use of udp on gen 3 and looks like your pretty happy with that mod.I've used them on everything and strong believer in them.good to see some feed back for the newer explorers:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm confused now.where is the wire for the low speed? On my Taurus fan it has three wires, low speed, high speed and ground.
Some of the harnesses do not have a low-speed lead; they are only wired for the high-speed and ground, even though the fan has both speeds.

so with some slight modifications to the original idea of your install. I have improved it and in my opinion made it better.. the electrical part is pretty much the same.

The install of the fan is as follows as best as I can describe it.
get rid of your fan factory fan shroud.
shave off rivets holding motor, grind down mounts smooth and replace rivets with 5/16 bolts.
we shaved down the passenger side fan mount so it was just a tab, and eliminated all the other tabs.
then trimmed the shroud to fit the radiator.
added a tab on the driver side and bolted it to the 2 top bolts of the original fan shroud.
walla!!!
it works and looks dang near factory!!
as soon as get a chance I will get some pics up and let you all see!!!

jrodmakrs:

Any chance you can re-upload the pics of your install? I'm really interested in doing this to my truck over the coming week and would like a reference pic.

Thanks!
Mike

FYI part #701-0001 is for up to mid year 2001. Part# 701-0003 is for mid year 2001-2004

FYI part #701-0001 is for up to mid year 2001. Part# 701-0003 is for mid year 2001-2004

That guidance is for Mustangs, not Explorers. The kit needed for this is 701-0001. It has been awhile, but from what I remember the harmonic balancer will be wrong with the 701-0003 kit.

Why would they be different if they have the same Motorcraft part #s? Not saying your wrong.
MustangHB.jpg

ExplorerHB.jpg

Why would they be different if they have the same Motorcraft part #s? Not saying your wrong.

A quick Google (which you could have just as easily done) shows the difference being in the water pump pulley, so my memory was a little fuzzy. Regardless, the kit needed for this is 701-0001.

I know this thread is in regards to the 4.6 engine but does anybody know if the pullies will work for the 4.0 engine?

I know this thread is in regards to the 4.6 engine but does anybody know if the pullies will work for the 4.0 engine?

No, they will not. I believe a company called Underdog makes/made them, but am not sure what the availability of pulleys for the 4.0L is currently.

No, they will not. I believe a company called Underdog makes/made them, but am not sure what the availability of pulleys for the 4.0L is currently.

They no longer make them.ASP makes them and list them for the sohc mustang, its just the crank tho

A quick Google (which you could have just as easily done) shows the difference being in the water pump pulley, so my memory was a little fuzzy. Regardless, the kit needed for this is 701-0001.

Google search and the Ford parts breakdown shows the same part # 8509 for the water pump pulley.

Google search and the Ford parts breakdown shows the same part # 8509 for the water pump pulley.

8509 is not a Ford part number. Clearly you know more about the 4.6L variations than multimillion dollar companies, or anyone who has actually installed these pulleys. So please, get the 701-0003 kit and install it on your 3rd Gen and make a tutorial for it.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/water-pump-pulley-identification.html
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/will-a-00-gt-water-pump-pulley-fit-my-02.785244/

Clearly I used the Ford parts breakdown that I posted.

Dude, 8509 just means its a water pump. The full part number is much longer and details specifically which vehicles the part will fit.

http://www.mustangtek.com/FordDecode.html

So in short, your confused and Josh is still correct.

I did mine yesterday - wasn't quite as simple as installing a Mark V fan since I can't get hold of one in Australia, but using a set of twin thermo fans from an AU falcon, I followed these excellent instructions and got the job done. I used a davies craig thermal controller kit (Part # 0401) with the probe in the top radiator hose, and it works very well - the fans stay on a little longer than the 30 seconds recommended, but I need to seal up between the edge of the fans and the radiator (there is a 3" x 2" gap since the AU fans are wider than the explorer radiator and if I seal that, I should get more airflow through the radiator).

Didn't get too many pics, but this is the twin fan setup with the lower shroud cut to suit - I could have cut 1" less of the lower shroud and it would have looked better once fitted, but this way it covers more of the radiator.

Explorer_Stock_Shroud.JPG

AU_Thermos_Explorer_Lower.jpg

Explorer_Fans_fitted.jpg

Davis_Craig_Thermo_controller.jpg

Fan_30A_Relays.jpg

Finished this off today - pulled the fans back out, installed a block off plate on each side so that air is forced to go through the radiator when the fans are on. Fans reinstalled and all good so far.

BlockOffPlates_med.jpg

Just a bit of an update on this. The twin fans I installed are dual speed - low speed is triggered from a/c truning on and is a series circuit between the 2 fans (meaning 6 volts each). When either the manual switch I have is switched, or the thermatic switch is triggered because of hot temps, then the dual fans kick into high speed. The wiring diagram is below for anyone else that uses a similar setup (you won't need this any relays etc if you have a large single fan).

AUThermos_Wiring.jpg

And the final fan setup with shroud all fixed nicely etc:
Final_Setup.jpg

Will any underdrive pulley kit for a SOHC 4.6L work?

Back