• Register Today It's free!

3rd Gen Options For Mods

Aluminum

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
So as of now I have $600 to spend on My Explorer and the next 2 things I have planned are my headlights and wheel spacers, after that I have $375 (More money will be comming in so I'm not to concerned price wise) what should I do next. Heres what I want to do and the prices. I'm just looking for opinions. I'm hoping to be doing some offroading this summer so thats primarily what I'm wanting to get done first

BTF 1.5(F) 1.25(R) $250
Wheel Spacers 2” $100
Black Headlights $125
(Done)
4.10 Gear $1000
Spartan Locker $300
Sound System $500
Window Tint $200
17” Rims (Winter) $100
Treadwright 255/75/17 $600
KKM Intake / Airbox Mod $0 - $150 (Decided on airbox mod and or K&N filter)

$3050

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Skip the Kkm. If anything just keep the stock filter and do the airbox mod. Or better yet get a k&n drop in filter and leave the ducting alone (stock setup is already good at bringing in cool air)

So as of now I have $600 to spend on My Explorer and the next 2 things I have planned are my headlights and wheel spacers, after that I have $375 (More money will be comming in so I'm not to concerned price wise) what should I do next. Heres what I want to do and the prices. I'm just looking for opinions. I'm hoping to be doing some offroading this summer so thats primarily what I'm wanting to get done first

BTF 1.5(F) 1.25(R) $250
Wheel Spacers 2” $100
Black Headlights $125

4.10 Gear $1000
Spartan Locker $300
Sound System $500
Window Tint $200
17” Rims (Winter) $100
Treadwright 255/75/17 $600
KKM Intake / Airbox Mod $0 - $150
Possibly Brush Guard $500

$3175 - $3825

Skip the Kkm. If anything just keep the stock filter and do the airbox mod. Or better yet get a k&n drop in filter and leave the ducting alone (stock setup is already good at bringing in cool air)

Thats what I've been thinking, since it will save me some money and still draw in more air. I'm just thinking should I get a used air box. Just incase I mess up and I dont want to void any warrantys. But still with buying an entire airbox or a K&N filter it would still save me $100:thumbsup:

I would also add an xcal tuner for when you do the gears, that way you can correct the shift points and Speedo for both the tires and the gears.

You might be perfectly happy with just the Spartan locker and stock gears. So you could do that next along with the treadwrights and you'd be well prepared for offroading.

I would also add an xcal tuner for when you do the gears, that way you can correct the shift points and Speedo for both the tires and the gears.

You might be perfectly happy with just the Spartan locker and stock gears. So you could do that next along with the treadwrights and you'd be well prepared for offroading.

I was considering just the locker and maybe gears later. Starting in august I'm going to a trade school on auto service / repair. And maybe after I go through that I can do the gears on my own and not have to pay a shop to do it. Also I've been back and forth on the BWM switch. But I'm not soldon it so I didnt add it to my list

I think thats a good plan.

I was considering just the locker and maybe gears later. Starting in august I'm going to a trade school on auto service / repair. And maybe after I go through that I can do the gears on my own and not have to pay a shop to do it. Also I've been back and forth on the BWM switch. But I'm not soldon it so I didnt add it to my list

Back