3rd gen pic's | Page 252 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

At some point I will be doing something like rhino lining on the piece around the grill and the front of the hood but I got new headlights and I love them! :D New struts and spacers coming soon too.

20140307_142659_zpsb5a53531.jpg

I replaced the taillights as well. Took me forever to find ones that I liked, that I did not see on half the explorers driving around.

20140305_125831_zps09c8ee7b.jpg

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New wheels: American Racing Crawl ATX 17" 0 offset

HXkJpj9.jpg

New Monroe strut assemblies, BTF UCA's, 2.5/1.75" spacers

97h9fS3.jpg

265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's

XOivr9w.jpg

Installed

xnW1e9Z.jpg

I also have a 1.5" body lift but I haven't installed it. Not sure if it'll make the tires look too small or not. The tires rub slightly at full lock and the spacers definitely limit the travel so I don't think I'll be going off road anytime soon. Here's a couple other shots:

x73H28i.jpg

iFtrOwL.jpg

New with pics

Hello!

I just wanted to thank everyone on thsi Forum. I have been lurking quite a bit and I have found so much information on how to fix the little quirks with these trucks!

I thought I would share with everyone, my 2003 Ex.

Before:
IMG_37111_zps48c92440.jpg

IMG_3716_zpsc150517c.jpg

After (in progress)

IMG_20140329_142056_zps5ba2dd78.jpg

How did you do that to the radio bezel? That looks awesome!! :thumbsup:
I used three colors and a clear coat. The key is hydrophobic paint (basically anything but waterbased). I found a video to help explain that way you can see how it works. In the video he uses a gold base coat then a white highlight and a red shadow, followed by the clear. I used a white base, gold highlight, and black shadow, followed by 3 coats of clear. He uses airbrush, I used common spray paint. The clear is necessary because once the water evaporates the paint has already dried and is basically dust so it can be wiped away easily. To get the water on the bezel I just used the sprinkle method as I couldn't find a spare spray bottle. After painting I let my water evaporate for 12 hours overnight in a place with no wind as to keep it undisturbed. If you have any more questions let me know.

Hello!

I just wanted to thank everyone on thsi Forum. I have been lurking quite a bit and I have found so much information on how to fix the little quirks with these trucks!

I thought I would share with everyone, my 2003 Ex.

Before:
IMG_37111_zps48c92440.jpg

IMG_3716_zpsc150517c.jpg

After (in progress)

IMG_20140329_142056_zps5ba2dd78.jpg

I love the FBI look.

I love the FBI look.

Hah,

Yeah I do too :)

It used to be a government vehicle. Outstanding fleet maintenance records. 175k and not a drip of liquid from it!

I'm still in the process of painting the rear bumper and the roof rack. Added 265/75 16s and hope to try on the black headlights and side markers. Haven't found any tail lights I like from third parties yet.

Last edited:

Hah,

Yeah I do too :)

It used to be a government vehicle. Outstanding fleet maintenance records. 175k and not a drip of liquid from it!

I'm still in the process of painting the rear bumper and the roof rack. Added 265/75 16s and hope to try on the black headlights and side markers. Haven't found any tail lights I like from third parties yet.

What kind of prep and paint are you using on the textured bumpers? The front looks good.

What kind of prep and paint are you using on the textured bumpers? The front looks good.

I wash it down with dish soap, scrub with a 3M "Red" pad. Should see nothing but black grime come off (might need a few of these). Then I used duplicolor prep spray, scrub again with the 3M pads (clean ones obviously)...again you should see lots of grime come off. Then wipe down with a damp cloth and more of the prep spray. I repeat that last process until my white cloth starts coming up nearly spotless.

Then I used duplicolor bumper coating. Four coats.

Its already seen rocks at highway speeds, no peeling or chipping.

The 3M pads really help knock out all the grime on textured bumpers, without actually sanding or being too abrasive.

Hope that helps!

Got my windshield tinted, as well as the front two redone from 15% to 5%. The windshield is 35% with a 5% brow.
20140416_184547_zps9ersj4j9.jpg

20140416_184511_zpsjs4iyjoj.jpg

20140416_184459_zpsdld1h8zs.jpg

^ As nice as it would be, that must be a PITA to see out at night. At night is little light, I have to roll my windows down to get a decent view and I only have 20%. Looks great though!!!

^ As nice as it would be, that must be a PITA to see out at night. At night is little light, I have to roll my windows down to get a decent view and I only have 20%. Looks great though!!!

Last night was my first night driving with it, and honestly, you can't really tell it's there. Its much darker from the outside. Inside its about perfect.

Little reference of view from in cab.
20140416_184250_zpspx6acdgx.jpg

Last edited:

My Explorer

figured i would post a picture of what i've done to mine so far, i've been creeping on these forums for ideas for my explorer, i've had it for almost two years now without an account so i thought it would be time to sign up !

Last edited by a moderator:

Got some updates!

32" HID light bar on the face, took out the subs making custom box to fit where the storage compartments are & putting 2 15''s in there. Sold my lift to a buddy few weeks ago really needed the money got laid off work so the suspension and lift are on hold for awhile. Will be posting more pictures soon! The lightbar is literally pointed straight at the ground and thats how bright it is. It's actually blinding if you even look close to it and I couldn't be happier hahaha.

9E42A3A2-025D-43AC-8E3D-4301B02CE75F_zpsbwgjp2hi.jpg

976E3B06-B42B-4866-A3FA-C14F58BB91F4_zpsh4qppwb2.jpg

FE4C7872-E691-4CB7-B085-15853FBD78D2_zpsbu3xowkc.png

7250AEB6-6876-4BBB-9775-BC52131D3A1E_zpseyso8gts.jpg

Thinking about getting a lightbar like the one on itsgerson's roof rack and some chrome and black or just black Aviator mirrors thoughts?
CAM03304_zps4a5f92b9.jpg

CAM03297_zps65ec5516.jpg

CAM03315_zpsd63ed827.jpg

CAM03346_zps0f2c9eeb.jpg

CAM03368_zpsb3093939.jpg

Man that looks sweet! What type lift do you have and what size are those tires? Nice rig!

Man that looks sweet! What type lift do you have and what size are those tires? Nice rig!
Thanks! Its a BTF spacer lift in the front and nothing in the back. Its a 2.25 inch spacer which i think gave me about 3.5inches of lift. The tires are 33x12.5x20.

Here's my 05 explorer. I have the black four piece billet grille, Led taillights, ddm 8000k hid kit with black headlights and corners from eBay, and 18" helo rims
IMAG0137.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

figured i would post a picture of what i've done to mine so far, i've been creeping on these forums for ideas for my explorer, i've had it for almost two years now without an account so i thought it would be time to sign up !
]

no offense but that hood scoop and flame grille look god awful...pep boys accents are for Hondas ONLY

Last edited by a moderator:

Back