• Register Today It's free!

3rd Gen wheels - TPMS vs non-TPMS

jrrjr71

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Mercury Mountaineer
I haven't found a straight answer anywhere.
I'm currently looking for a used wheel to replace a damaged 17x7.5 6 dual spoke wheel for a 2005 mountaineer.

I keep finding these wheels listed as either TPMS or non-TPMS. I even asked a couple of the sellers, and they didn't have any useful info.

Is there a physical difference between the wheels? If i have a damaged TPMS wheel, can i just purchase a non-TPMS wheel and move the TPMS over?

Thanks in advance,

JR

TPMS isn't about the wheel it's strictly about the sensor. Ford had them as an option for a few years before they became mandatory. I assume the ads that you are looking at would be referring to the valve that's included with the wheel- some may have had TPMS on them and others didn't. You can remove your existing sensor from your rim and install it in the replacement rim. My 03 Limited has TPMS, a fairly rare option for 03. I have had experience with swapping wheels removing sensors, programming them, etc. A couple of things to keep in mind. If your sensors have the metal valve shaft, the thread and nut may be corroded where it bolts to the wheel. You will need to be very careful when removing it. You should also buy a "rebuild kit" when you swap. Auto parts shops carry for around $5, you'll get a new rubber seal, valve core, nut and cap. If you just swap your existing sensor to the new wheel, you won't even have to worry about reprogramming.

Appreciate the info. I'm going to pickup a decent used "non-TPMS" wheel in the morning. I'll probably drop both wheels at discount and have them move the sensor and tire over. Not sure if they'll use a sensor rebuild kit i didn't buy from them - i'll call first.

Thanks again!

No problem. Let us know how it works out.

Back