3rd Row Power Button cover / disable switch needed | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd Row Power Button cover / disable switch needed

The tailgate does. The 3rd row seats function like a "trash compactor". ;)

Peter

Ouch, is this not a saftey issue that warrants some sort of recall?
It's already dangerous enough for those sitting behind the 2nd row to ensure their feet are clear when slamming the seat down, where it locks to the floor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there any sort of tech spec on the dimensions of that component for the switch in the cargo area? I am thinking of designing a 3d cover that I can print at home and cover the buttons. I would measure myself, but I am traveling and not home for about 10 days for work. Have some free time in the evenings to design if someone could provide some dimensions...

Fixed it with a momentary switch installed below the control pad

image1_zpsgnwm2lbq.jpg

Thanks to many on these boards for giving me information to fix this issue.

I bought heat shrink tubing, 15g wire, and a momentary switch from Radio Shack.

I spliced the switch to the brown lead behind the control panel, and then drilled a small hole and installed the switch in the recessed area beneth the switch. I could not post an image on these boards (I am new here), but it looks clean.

I called Ford Autonation beforehand to make sure that Ford did not have a recall on this issue. They do not. I then asked the tech how that could be possible, as it is a known issue. He stated "I'm not an engineer, just a tech."

As I already had a warranty fix on this issue, when the seats were activated by luggage being loaded into the back and it broke the mechanism, it was either fix it this way or get rid of the thing.

Once again, thanks and good luck. It took me 45 minutes.

This is the first american car that I have ever purchased. Shame on Ford for doing nothing about this issue from a higher level. It must be more cost effective to cover warranty claims than to install a $3 switch/redesign of the switch assembly. Customers NEVER forget, FMC...

*If someone goes this route for a fix, do not panic if the board does not work after you install all of the parts. The aux power will turn off while you are working. Make sure to open up the door / turn on acc and then check. The timing relay for the lights/aux will turn off the power.

Welcome to the Forum Irishfred.:wavey:
Instructions for posting pictures, without taking out an Elite membership, can be found in the 'Sticky' section of the New Members Introduction threads.

Peter

Has anyone made some sort of cover to protect the rear seat control buttons located near the back door? My wife cannot keep herself from accidentally bumping them...

Has anyone made some sort of cover to protect the rear seat control buttons located near the back door? My wife cannot keep herself from accidentally bumping them...
Using the Forum's handy 'Search" feature, which all are encouraged to use before starting a new thread, this thread was found and yours was merged with it.

When I had my 2015 Limited, I took an glass case half screwed over the switches.

I have had this happen to me a few times.... Luckily with little or nothing inside.... But did manage to fold up my cargo liner.
I agree that some sort of plastic flip cover would be ideal... But in the interim... Maybe the fuse would be the next best thing?
Which fuse would it be?

I have had this happen to me a few times.... Luckily with little or nothing inside.... But did manage to fold up my cargo liner.
I agree that some sort of plastic flip cover would be ideal... But in the interim... Maybe the fuse would be the next best thing?
Which fuse would it be?
Should be shown in your Manual.

I read this thread a few weeks ago, and decided that the 'problem' had enough merit for me to take some action. I installed a black normally open push button switch and installed it by cutting the wire I thought was the right one. I believe I followed the instructions left by one of our fellow contributors. My wires were not the same. Long story short, when I want to move the seats to a new position, I have to make sure the power is applied to the seat circuitry, usually by opening the doors, activating the interior lights among other things, then pushing the button at the same time as the desired position switch, but releasing the switches as soon as the seat motion begins. Works great, and the wiring was all accomplished by working through the switch opening. If anyone is interested in more details, I can open up the panel and get details.

Let us know your experience with the eBay cover.
thx

That is a good find. I didn't think it would be an available item. Leave it to the Chinese! The 'break factor' would be my concern. I am a pessimist. Us pessimists are disappointed a whole lot less than are optimists! (little humor, very little)

My cover arrived. Quality of the cover looks good but the double sided tape they provided was lousy as I couldn't get the cover to hold and it kept falling off. I need to find a better adhesive to hold it. Maybe some 3M VHB although I'm thinking rubber cement might be a viable option that would also be removable if needed.

My cover arrived. Quality of the cover looks good but the double sided tape they provided was lousy as I couldn't get the cover to hold and it kept falling off. I need to find a better adhesive to hold it. Maybe some 3M VHB although I'm thinking rubber cement might be a viable option that would also be removable if needed.
I'm still waiting for mine... But thanks for the update on the tape! Let me know what you finally end up doing.
Mine is schedule to arrive 10/15-10/29.... about a month delivery time.

There have been several posts on this before. All that is really required is a cover for the switches to prevent them from being accidently activated.
The $50k duct tape solution.......i'm sure you'll be able to testify for Ford when some kid gets hurt in back and the lawyers are frothing at the mouth.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The $50k duct tape solution.......i'm sure you'll be able to testify for Ford when some kid gets hurt in back and the lawyers are frothing at the mouth.
Not sure what your reply has to do with my post that you quoted. I only stated the obvious and the posts above about the available cover should resolve any possible issue with the exposed switches. I've agreed that the current design is flawed. (must be a slow day to bring up a 5 year old post to complain about)

Peter

Back