3rd Row Power Button cover / disable switch needed | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd Row Power Button cover / disable switch needed

Not sure if same for previous years but buttons won't work with trunk closed on 17 model. Removes accidentally operating seats when driving and cargo shifts around and knocks it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure if same for previous years but buttons won't work with trunk closed on 17 model. Removes accidentally operating seats when driving and cargo shifts around and knocks it.
I believe all those switches are only active with the vehicle in park. I know the liftgate won't open unless the transmission is in park even from the front driver's side switch. Never tried the seats.

Peter

I'm still waiting for mine... But thanks for the update on the tape! Let me know what you finally end up doing.
Mine is schedule to arrive 10/15-10/29.... about a month delivery time.

I went out and bought some 3M 38582 exterior trim tape and cleaned both surfaces with an alcohol swap. Switch cover is now securely attached. The new 3M tape is twice as wide as the tape that was originally supplied. The eBay vendor reimbursed me for the cost of the tape so I'm a happy camper.

I went out and bought some 3M 38582 exterior trim tape and cleaned both surfaces with an alcohol swap. Switch cover is now securely attached. The new 3M tape is twice as wide as the tape that was originally supplied. The eBay vendor reimbursed me for the cost of the tape so I'm a happy camper.
Good to hear. That cover seems to be the best idea yet sort of Ford modifying the setup.

I need a part number or name for the 3rd row sensor on a 2012 explorer

guys the easiest fix to this is this inexpensive cover.. takes literaly 10 minutes to install on a bad day!!!

Cheap and inexpensive and NO wiring.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252556290552?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

NO NTSB or pulling panels.. yes Ford should have included it ... but they didnt ... I can find many other issues to be more worried about once I put this cover on.. Yes I did hit the switch once by accident and broke some stuff in cargo area.. My own stupidity though..

I need a part number or name for the 3rd row sensor on a 2012 explorer
The only position sensor I can find has to do with airbags. https://parts.levittownfordparts.co...ode=search&scat=&mid=0&parent=0&search_in=all
I looked at the 3rd row seats and there was nothing there related to a 'sensor'. I suggest sending a PM to member Jungle1943 to see what is listed on his invoice since he had his replaced.

Peter
Heres my situation. the 3rd row is malfunctioning. When i press the Normal button it stows. When i select the rightside the left seat moves instead. Not sure what is the problem. Im wondering if the system have a module that needs replacing. If anyone can help please do. thanks.

Umbrella no more

Seats squished it on 2011 explorer - couldn't stop them in time.

I have find if they are stopped before closing, the open button just continues to close the seats.

Be very careful when putting anything into the vechicle not to touch the side. My older kid almost squished most of our groceries one day when he put his hockey bag in. I had to stop the seats manually. I can only imagine a small kid in the 3rd row panicking when they close by accident.

Not sure if sync is integrated into these seats but if so an override there would be a good idea. If not then this could be a serious safety issue.

I sure wish Ford had installed a switch that disables the 3rd row seat control.

I had ours packed for a trip and when I was moving an item it bumped the seat controls and caused the seat to try and fold up on the cargo.

Not a happy situation!

imag0171ch.jpg

Let's see if the picture comes though this time....?

I have made 6 more of these covers for sale. If you interested in seeing more info, send me an email and I will return an email to you with more pictures.

KenH
I need a cover as well, jeff.foster12@yahoo.com

It would be a shame if this had to go to the NHTSA for a fix. Ford should be addressing these things on their own. That is what a good company does...
Is that we are calling Ford now a days? A "good" company LOL
My bought a new Escape with the "bumper to bumper" warranty...the first time through carwash it ripped the bumper cover off of the car guess what !! the warranty didn't cover it...hardly a "good" company anymore!!

I may have missed it however There is an aftermarket switch cover that will absolutely prevent that from happening.. Happened once to me and thta was once to often. I bought it on Ebay for like a few bucks. $23.00 - Black ABS Rear Trunk Seat Switch Button Cover Trim For Ford Explorer

here ya go here is a cover.. only a few bucks worth every penny...Black ABS Rear Trunk Seat Switch Button Cover Trim For Ford Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

here ya go here is a cover.. only a few bucks worth every penny...Black ABS Rear Trunk Seat Switch Button Cover Trim For Ford Explorer
That is the same one that was linked in post #133.

Peter

Back