4.0 l timing chain broke?????? help!!!!!!!!!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 l timing chain broke?????? help!!!!!!!!!!!!

lisfan

Reaction score
City, State
boston mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 explorer xlt 4.0
hi
please help!!!!!!!!!:(:(:(:(
long story short, i was going to work and the truck just quit. no lights , noise. i noticed earlier in the day it was seemed slighlty sluggish for a short time. i checked for spark - ok but no compression at all. i didnt bother to check fuel pressure at this point. you can hear the starter turning the lower end over. through the right oil fill oil i noticed the cam not turning. i was told by two ford dealerships over the phone that the engine is probably a boat anchor now due to valves getting bent when the engine goes out of time. has anyone had this happen to them. only problem was a few months ago , i had the damper fail. i replaced it and the crank sensor. i am a professional mechanic and im beside myself at this failure. its a 2004 explorer xlt 4.0 vin k , flex fuel. should i bother to tear apart????? or replace the motor. with the times being the way they are. i am probably going to put a used motor. i found two one with 12000 $750 90day warranty and another with 40000, $900.00 6 month warranty. what do you guys think?????:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that sucks dude, how many miles do you have on the blown engine?

ONLY 78000. the oil has always been changed every 3000. my old 1994 had made it to 250000 before i lost track of the truck. do you think this engine is kaputs. should i chance replacing the chain? thanks ahead of time

dude I dont know what to do. What happened to you is scary. Makes me want to pull my engine and replace the timing chains and tensioners at 100k just for the heck of it.

Since you are a mechanic, I would tear into it and fix it myself. Just find some place warm to work on it and you should be good.

im very surprised this is still a problem i thouht it was for the 2002's range of motors

Well if it is indeed a broken timing chain, then thats actually a pretty rare occurance and I cant really recollect the last time we've had anyone on the forum break a timing chain on the SOHC 4.0. We've had plenty of tensioner / guide issues, but not an actual break in the chain.

Ouch...that can hurt...$$$$ :(

Is there a mileage limit for changing the chain? Now, I'm worried...:(
Mine has 125k...and runs like a champ...

Hey bro I feel your pain the same thing happened to my 01 Exp Sport. The dealer told me the same thing and said a new motor was 5000 dollars. So I pulled it back to my house and now it is a driveway ornament.LOL
I am looking to put a 02 Ranger 4.0 in it and was wonder how hard the swap will be?

Sorry for your loss..

thanks for your thoughts guys. im hearing from a fellow mechanic, replace as soon as you hear noise. he replaces them at 50k or reccomends them . seen failures in the 70k range. he thought i knew about this.i thought it was the 2002 and below. mine never made a peep from the guides or engine. i will try to tear the junk down to see . i got one with 12k im putting in for 750.00.
it got sluggish earlier in the day than ran great later then shut off that was it . i loved my old pushrod 4.0 from 1994, 250k and counting. a friend has it in new york.
one failure that is possible is the top gear bolt/ pin of the primary chain may have let go or chain . nothing will turn on top end just the lower end. zero compression .still dont know till it gets ripped open. why didnt they make this a non interference motor???????????? it wouldnt be to bad to repair, still not cheap but it could be repaired. ill slap the crap out of the idiot who designed this.
have to get the truck going first , illtry to keep you guys updated.

it's alive
the truck is running again with "new" motor. http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Set/4159/ALIVE.WAV
only had to change over the intake and alternator , it was cracked. it was the top gear bolt on primary chain broke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bent the valves ,atleast a few . for the price in parts it was cheaper doing it this way. :):D:):D
i also talked to ford motor co. on this, here is their reply--- "Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center
requesting assistance for the timing chain repair on your 2004 Ford Explorer
XLT.

Before we can make a decision regarding any coverage, it must be reviewed by a
Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealership. They will inspect the vehicle and determine a
diagnosis. Our dealerships have factory trained technicians, comprehensive
service information and specialized equipment to resolve your concerns. Any
repair or services not completed at a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealership would be
your responsibility. "
i told her i used to be a factory trained technician, i dont need a diagnosis but help to pay for this.
i was told by the dealer they being ford corp would not end up doing any thing .worth a shot in the dark but i would end up paying!!!!!!!!!! about over 2k for a used motor and over 5k for new. ain't happening in this economy. it was a good 16 hours of work, 2 days of busted knuckles but not the worst motor to change.

Good job! Did you take any pictures of the damage?:salute:

if someone also needs a good motor there is one other at r/c truck auto sales in bridgewater mass. 16k out of a 2003 explorer. it was a roll over for about 700.00. i have their number if interested. you have to pick up, no delivery. tell them phil sent you
atleast i can now say this ....http://www.folloder.com/sounds/106miles.wav

dude I dont know what to do. What happened to you is scary. Makes me want to pull my engine and replace the timing chains and tensioners at 100k just for the heck of it.

I wish I did my wifes guides broke and trashed the motor at 90k good luck!

i had the same problem on my 98 ex. the fiber gear stripped off the sprocket as well with worn guilds. it bent all the valve in both heads but no damage to the pistons. sent the haed out for repairs. came back looking new for $300(cdn) each head. then for another $1000+ /- for the rest of the parts. the truck was good to go. i did all the work myself. it ran great for two months then it was righten off from ins. after a moose hit us on hoildays..

i had the same problem on my 98 ex. the fiber gear stripped off the sprocket as well with worn guilds. it bent all the valve in both heads but no damage to the pistons. sent the haed out for repairs. came back looking new for $300(cdn) each head. then for another $1000+ /- for the rest of the parts. the truck was good to go. i did all the work myself. it ran great for two months then it was righten off from ins. after a moose hit us on hoildays..

That sucks right there! Sorry man I feel your pain.

glad to your you are "exploring" once again.

Looking forward to the damage pics...

thank you its better to be "exploring" than "exploding"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if someone also needs a good motor there is one other at r/c truck auto sales in bridgewater mass. 16k out of a 2003 explorer.
lisfan, do you think that engine would fit into a '98 expl without doing any modifications?
I just bought this expl with bad engine and I'm considering all the possibilities.
Mine still starts but there is a terrifying grinding noise from the engine, it cannot idle, and CEL and Check Gage Light are on.
I am using "search" like crazy...but if someone can pinpoint me to the thread in which I can learn how to remove an engine, that would be awesome.
I also read that there is a way that you can change the chains without completely removing the engine. Couldn't find the thread so far :(
Thanks
D

Back