4.0 OHV TDC stabing the cam syncro | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 OHV TDC stabing the cam syncro

smegun

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer xlt
got my cam syncro OFF and the sensor tested bad …. my problem before I make a stab at putting back its replacement is finding the compression stroke at TDC …. I got the tdc mark at the pointer on the harmonic ... I have my valve cover off and #1 plug out the valves for number 1 appear to be closed (loose rockers) but is it possible I need another 360 turn on the crank as there is some forums describing the possibility of being on the exhaust stroke .... I mean someone told me that I could be 360 out …. even if I turn the crank two complete revolutions its hard to tell if there is any change on the valve train both revolutions appear that the valves are closed (loose rockers) so its hard to tell from that perspective .. I am assuming that both valves need to be closed at TDC but how is there a positive way to tell I have the right TDC or compression stroke to make a stab at it... what can I look for on the valve train to suggest and or the proper ratio example the crank to cam ratio is 1: / 1: or 2:/ 1: maybe the forum is overworking the equation when the harmonic is on the mark its TDC ???

top dead center vs. overlap im pretty confident the term is top dead center vs. overlap cam rotates twice per crank making from my observations "when the exhaust valve on #1 doesn't move is when your cranking the 720 /360 your on the compression stroke

Back