4.0 SOHC Custom Exhaust Options

aklmfreak

Reaction score
City, State
Pensacola, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport 4.0 SOHC
hey guys i'm new here, in fact this is my first thread! :D
anyway, i have a 2000 Sport with the 4.0 SOHC and i'm looking for opinions or advice from ppl with firsthand experience about EXHAUST. I am looking to put a catback system on my x but i've heard so much about exhaust that i wanted some ideas from other explorer owners first.

first off, i've heard that ford vehicles in general run better with straight through mufflers because the smaller but higher output engines (as compared to chevy or dodge) depend more on exhaust gas velocity to create power.

i have also heard, however, that you can lose low end torque if there is not enough backpressure on the engine.

currently i have NO muffler on my Sport, the exhaust pipes simply come out of the cats and dump straight down where the muffler would be. the highway passing power is great, but my off-the-line performance SUUUXXXXX. what i'd like to have is an exhaust system that is not too loud inside the vehicle but is still noticeably aggressive outside when i stomp on the gas. i'd like to keep a little highway passing power, as i drive on the interstate regularly but i'd like to be able to bark the tires on a launch.
here are the setups i have considered....

magnaflow dual in/single out (for slightly more backpressure and possibly low-end torque?)

magnaflow dual in/dual out (for good flow, but will backpressure be noticably low?)

dynomax superturbo true dual (i've heard good performance reviews but how loud are these mufflers inside the cabin?)

also, i'm open to suggestions from any of you! if you have an exhaust system you LOVE feel free to share it!

and lastly, what kind of pipe size should i use? i know the pre-muffler factory exhaust is 2-1/4" but what size should i use for the after-muffler pipe, with each configuration?

sorry for being so wordy, thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

first off, i've heard that ford vehicles in general run better with straight through mufflers because the smaller but higher output engines (as compared to chevy or dodge) depend more on exhaust gas velocity to create power.

Nonsense.

what kind of pipe size should i use? i know the pre-muffler factory exhaust is 2-1/4" but what size should i use for the after-muffler pipe, with each configuration?

2 1/2" pipe works best with the SOHC

Pick up a book or two on exhaust theory, you'll know exactly why "back pressure" is unnecessary and why you have no power/torque starting from a dead stop.

well see that's the problem... i can read hours of exhaust theory material, but everyone seems to have their own opinion when it comes to backpressure. some say it's best to have very little back pressure, others say that stock and near-stock motors are <i>designed</i> to run better with their backpressure enducing oem mufflers. i dont know what to believe and what's crap, that's why i'm asking the people on this forum, so i can get some firsthand advice from people who have more personal experience than i do.

well see that's the problem... i can read hours of exhaust theory material, but everyone seems to have their own opinion when it comes to backpressure. some say it's best to have very little back pressure, others say that stock and near-stock motors are <i>designed</i> to run better with their backpressure enducing oem mufflers. i dont know what to believe and what's crap, that's why i'm asking the people on this forum, so i can get some firsthand advice from people who have more personal experience than i do.
Ah but the people on the forum are on the same boat as you and most do not know what to believe -- so you really have to get a book and get it straight from the experts' mouths -- people who have actually done the nitty gritty such as flow measurements and dyno tests of these systems.

any idea where to find something like that? an auto parts store? or a library or what? i appreciate the help. obviously internet resources are going to be mostly subjective....

Nonsense.

2 1/2" pipe works best with the SOHC

is that 2-1/2" pipe single or dual? from what i can tell, the Dual/Dual magnaflow looks like my best bet with 2-1/4" pipes all the way back (ford must've put 2-1/4" pipes coming off each manifold and cat for some reason right?) can anyone give me some ideas about the sound of different mufflers? like i said, i wanna be able to hear the radio on the interstate when i have my windows up...

Its based on single exhaust. I wouldn't recommend a dual.

I got dual 40 series flowmasters on my 01 sport and they are 2 1/2 inch tips

any idea where to find something like that? an auto parts store? or a library or what? i appreciate the help. obviously internet resources are going to be mostly subjective....
Sorry for the delay.

Here are two:
Scientific Design of Exhaust & Intake Systems (isbn: 0837603099)
Practical Gas Flow (isbn: 1855205645)

Out of the two, I recommend the first one -- the second one focuses almost too heavily on everything before the exhaust manifold/headers so its mostly head modifications, valve modifications, and so on.

Sorry for the delay.

Here are two:
Scientific Design of Exhaust & Intake Systems (isbn: 0837603099)
Practical Gas Flow (isbn: 1855205645)

Out of the two, I recommend the first one -- the second one focuses almost too heavily on everything before the exhaust manifold/headers so its mostly head modifications, valve modifications, and so on.

wowwwwwww... i just looked it up... that book is $100... lol looks pretty interesting though, thanks for the recommendation.

update on my x,
i sold some extra stuff laying around the house today, and made a little money. advance auto was having a sale on thrush glasspacks and today was the last day before the price went back up by about $10 each.... sooooo i kinda splurged and just bought a pair of glasspacks. just installed them about an hour ago, and it sounds surprisingly smooth for now, i'm sure they'll break in soon though. i just have to keep an eye on them and make sure they dont start sounding like fart cans. i may upload sound bytes if anyone's interested

alright, i'll get a few clips for ya tomorrow,
right now i'm running true duals with cats, glasspacks and no tailpipes
sounds pretty mellow at the moment, absolutely NO popping, which surprised me, and interior noise is lower than the generic brand chambered muffler i had on it last year

i'll be sure to post more vids as the glasspacks break in and their tone changes

Exhaust Clips

2000 Ford Explorer Sport
4.0 SOHC
25" long Glasspacks
2-1/4" pipes
no tailpipes...yet

th_Explorer.jpg

I must say, I would not go that route but I do like the sound. Although I myself am looking for a slightly deeper tone. I have some year ex sport and will be workin on getting a custom cat back here shortly. Still deciding on a muffler and when to get it done. I think i will end up having a two in to one muffler with 2.5 tailpipe. Not sure what muffler yet.

I must say, I would not go that route but I do like the sound. Although I myself am looking for a slightly deeper tone. I have some year ex sport and will be workin on getting a custom cat back here shortly. Still deciding on a muffler and when to get it done. I think i will end up having a two in to one muffler with 2.5 tailpipe. Not sure what muffler yet.

I had a chambered muffler on it last year (dual in/dual out), and it was slightly deeper tone, but there was no growl to it, it just kinda hummed. if that's the sound you like then go for it, but i thought the highway drone was VERY annoying. i was looking for something that flowed better and had a more aggressive sound. between then and now i ran NO muffler and i liked the growl, but the popping was terrible and it was a little too loud, that's why i went with the glasspacks. as they break in hopefully i'll get a little more growl. also a little advice on buying.
1. personally, if you're having the cat-back system custom made at a shop. make sure they're giving you the muffler you ask for. (when i got my chambered muffler put on, the shop told me they were putting on a flowmaster, turns out it was just a generic brand, there was no "Flowmaster" stamped on the outside case)

2. secondly ask how much they're asking for the muffler, sometimes you can find the same muffler the shop offers for cheaper if you go online. but once again, make sure you get the brand you ask for.

3. thirdly, go back and look at the work after they're done. I just drove off, but a year later when i looked at the tailpipes, they had holes in the welds, the pipes were welded at odd angles instead of bending them properly, and one of the pipes didnt clear my axle far enough and it was bent where the axle had banged against it for months.

4. in short, just be sure you get exactly what you pay for. dont let someone take your money if they're gonna send you home with a generic brand muffler, bad welds, and poor exhaust layout. i learned this the hard way, unfortunately i just didnt know any better at the time.

no tailpipes...yet

Have been told that not having a tailpipe(s) is detramental to your truck performance. The added heat from the exhaust heats up the fuel lines and everything under your truck. I believe that it is explained in my thread "premade VS. Custom Cat Back Exhaust". So I would definatly work on getting some tailpipes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back