Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

4.0 SOHC Custom Exhaust Options

Discussion in 'Street Trucks' started by aklmfreak, May 28, 2008.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. aklmfreak

aklmfreak Active Member

City, State:
      Pensacola, FL
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2000 Sport 4.0 SOHC
      duals on each side may be hard, unless you have a 4 door, i know on my sport the gas tank runs right up to the front of the leaf springs, on the driver's side. but i agree, duals on each side would look cool. i considered taking the curved end piece off of the back of my step rails and running exhaust out right in front of the rear tire, and right behind the end of the step rail, to give it an "integrated" look, like it was built to be there.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. mr.p

mr.p Active Member

City, State:
      Berkeley, CA
      04 explorer
      i think if i get the jba headers and have an h pipe, then the mufflers and tips it might be short enough to fit, ill have to take a look under there. might have to dump the muffler idea :D

4. privetryan89

privetryan89 Active Member

City, State:
      Pa
      '98 XLT 4.0 SOHC
      I'm instaling a cherrybomb glasspack this week. I'm going to take the 2 pipes coming from the headers and run them into a Y-Pipe and then to the glasspack and out the back. Saves me a few buck but I do like the duals. Remember the exit of the tail pipe has to be at the rear of the truck since it doesnt have a bed. The trunk area is considered part of the cab and if it exits infront of the back tire then it will not pass inspection. (At least in Pa)

5. Sams01XplrSprt

Sams01XplrSprt Southern Cali Explorer

City, State:
      Newport Beach California & Bay Area California
      2001 Sport (sold)
      i got single in and dual out 40 series flows and i still got all my cats but eventually i wanna go true dual and get rid of 2 of my cats.

6. IZwack

IZwack Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Germantown, MD
      1998 Ford Explorer
      Cauz CA (or any state) will let you do that...

The actions implied in the statement above, is what the state of CA will let you do. The state of CA will allow a vehicle with such modifications implied in the statement above to be operated on CA roads. The statement above implies actions which the state of CA will allow you to perform. A vehicle with modifications implied in the statement above is legal to operate on CA roads. Operation of a vehicle on CA roads with modification implied in the statement above is legal. There are no legal or environmental issues in the operation of a vehicle with modifications stated above within the state of CA.

Alll this..assuming, that "cats" means two or more animal of the family Felidae (suborder Feliformia, order Carnivora, class Mammalia, phylum Chordata, kingdom Animalia) which you will "get rid of" or "dispose of" in a properly AND humane manner.

7. Sams01XplrSprt

City, State:
      2001 Sport (sold)
      i live in cali

8. IZwack

City, State:
      Germantown, MD
      1998 Ford Explorer
      My mistake. Pardon me for being vague. :)
      When I said "CA", I meant "cali".

9. Sams01XplrSprt

City, State:
      2001 Sport (sold)
      i know what u meant

10. IZwack

City, State:
      Germantown, MD
      1998 Ford Explorer
      Oh ok...
      Well I uhhh, live in Maryland .. aaaand its 25F right now ... aaaand, we have trees outside. [​IMG]

11. X~FACTOR

X~FACTOR Name is Ray

City, State:
      Valley Stream, Long Island
      '97 XLT 4-dr SOHC
      Can anyone that do have this $100 book answer this question?

12. jay 2000

jay 2000 New Member

City, State:
      central georgia
      2000 explorer sport
      Thanks, AKLMFREAK for the info. I have been watching utube vids of different sounding exhaust, and liked your setup the best.i have the same exact truck you do. [except mines white].I own a welder and sawzall and have done a bunch of muffler work in the past. I think im going your route. That having to look at the tack to see if it is running is driving me crazy.

13. jay 2000

jay 2000 New Member

City, State:
      central georgia
      2000 explorer sport
      I did this, and if you are going to modify your factory exhaust anyway, try this.-Saw off the tailpipe behind the factory muffler. that gets rid of the resonator and some pipe. Get a turndown from your local parts store and put that behind the muffler. 2 1-4 fit my 2000 ex. turn the pipe down so it echoes off the ground.Yes this only cost under 10.00 but you might just like it! No gain in h.p. or milage, just sounds better than stock for cheep. I still like that glasspack sound, but a flow 40 has my attention also! KEEP IT RUNNING!!

14. jay 2000

jay 2000 New Member

City, State:
      central georgia
      2000 explorer sport
      Hey, has anyone tried a walker fx? They are supposed to sound between a flowmaster 40-50. I can get one for about 90.00. figured I could eather dump it with a turndown, or runn it out the back depending on the sound.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
    15. jay 2000

jay 2000 New Member

City, State:
      central georgia
      2000 explorer sport
      Aklmfreak, I went with your set up. Put on long 12in. turndowns and 27in. thrush packs. Used factory hangers and welded it all together this morning. Sounds awesome! Simular to a small block with flow 40 on it. My butt dyno is broke, but I am just a cruser- daily driver. I will post any fuel milage difference in the near future. currently getting 21mpg stop and go to work. Not much highway to speak of. To the naysayers and those thinking about exhaust, DO IT! IT IS AWSOME! I was a child of the 60,s and I like it. It cost 78.00 and change from advanced auto, but I did all the labor myself

16. jay 2000

jay 2000 New Member

City, State:
      central georgia
      2000 explorer sport
      Update on the millage, it is exactly the same. Thinking about tailpipes out the back. At 1800rpms crusing, it sounds great. Getting there is just a little annoying. But still not bad. Keep in mind, I have swiss cheezed my air box below the filter. Caution, that debate on air filter stuff on this forum is brutal! My dumps come down on my two door just under the back seats with the 27in. packs.

17. jay 2000

jay 2000 New Member

City, State:
      central georgia
      2000 explorer sport
      New update on the thrush packs project! Aklmfreak, I took it to the next step. scrounged up the money to do the tailpipes out the back. Less racket in the cabin area, and smooooth as silk out the back! Side by side right behind the tire. Very hard. Used two inch pipes from mufflers. had a friend that owns a muffler shop help me. Even he said it was a challenge. Sweet sound, lots of compliments. Try it if you can swing it. It is awesome!!! I know this might sound a little stupid, but I think the tailpipes have added a little more bottom end power. Maby the two in. tails had something to do with backpressure? Maby, maby? It sounds gooood!

Last edited: June 18, 2013
    18. Reverend Greg

Reverend Greg Member

City, State:
      McDonough,Ga.
      1996 Ford Explorer
      After reading the entire thread, I disagree with some of what I have read. I have a 1996 4.0l with a custom 3" exhaust from the y-pipe. It let's out just in front of the right rear wheel.
      Custom flange at the y-pipe
      3" magnaflow catalytic converter
      3" summit turbo muffler
      All aluminized steel
      I find the sound better than when I ran a 2.5" thrushstock cat setup, and torque and power seem better too. Not sure about gas mileage yet but may be better, need to install the new plugs.
      Just my experiences.
      Greg