4.0 SOHC Custom Exhaust Options | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 SOHC Custom Exhaust Options

New update on the thrush packs project! Aklmfreak, I took it to the next step. scrounged up the money to do the tailpipes out the back. Less racket in the cabin area, and smooooth as silk out the back! Side by side right behind the tire. Very hard. Used two inch pipes from mufflers. had a friend that owns a muffler shop help me. Even he said it was a challenge. Sweet sound, lots of compliments. Try it if you can swing it. It is awesome!!! I know this might sound a little stupid, but I think the tailpipes have added a little more bottom end power. Maby the two in. tails had something to do with backpressure? Maby, maby? It sounds gooood!

After reading the entire thread, I disagree with some of what I have read. I have a 1996 4.0l with a custom 3" exhaust from the y-pipe. It let's out just in front of the right rear wheel.
Custom flange at the y-pipe
3" magnaflow catalytic converter
3" summit turbo muffler
All aluminized steel
I find the sound better than when I ran a 2.5" thrushstock cat setup, and torque and power seem better too. Not sure about gas mileage yet but may be better, need to install the new plugs.
Just my experiences.
Greg

Back