4.0 SOHC Metal Thermostat Housing Comparison | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 SOHC Metal Thermostat Housing Comparison

4pointslow

Explorer Torture Tester
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gloucester City, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 2Dr,2,000 & 04 4dr xlt
I obtained 2 thermostat housings for my 2001 Ranger.
The original is plastic and not leaking yet but you know how that goes on the 4.0 SOHC.

The first one is from Simmons Autosports.
I have used theirs before and its a great part, way better than the original plastic one from Ford.
Here are some pictures of it.

IMG_2118.JPG

IMG_2117.JPG IMG_2119.JPG

Upper Thermostat Housing

IMG_2120.JPG IMG_2121.JPG IMG_2122.JPG

Gaskets and Seals

IMG_2123.JPG IMG_2124.JPG IMG_2125.JPG

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is the second one from Austekk
It is a two piece lower design and I had to take it apart to see how they sealed the top and bottom of the lower housing. I cant see using this as is so I will apply some ultra copper RTV between the two pieces.

Here are some pictures.

IMG_2114.JPG
IMG_2088.JPG

IMG_2116.JPGIMG_2087.JPGIMG_2110.JPGIMG_2107.JPG
IMG_2097.JPGIMG_2089.JPGIMG_2091.JPG IMG_2092.JPG
IMG_2098.JPG IMG_2099.JPG IMG_2102.JPG
IMG_2100.JPGIMG_2112.JPG

Last edited:

Nice parts, how much were those two?

I'm still using my original, it was usable when I did the cassettes the first time in 2006. If I don't disturb the sensors this time, I'll try to leave it in place. If it has begun to leak, I'll want to replace it.

The one from Simmons Autosports was 169.95 and the one from Austekk was 78.86.
They were both purchased off eBay.

You might think wow, that sure is a price difference but consider the difference in design.
The original from Ford was plastic(and expensive) and of a two piece design (like the Austekk) and that was one of the problems with it.
Some of these OEM plastic ones leaked at the seam, and after market plastic ones? I can tell you from experience that the aftermarket plastic ones leaked from everywhere including the seams.

So being metal is one step better but will the two piece design of the Austekk hold up?
Not knowing anyone who had installed one and used it for any length of time, I figured I would test one myself.
I also wanted to know how they sealed the two pieces and when I was able to take it apart I found that seal which I figured would be there.
Pretty sure that seal would hold for a while but not forever. I am a big believer in Ultra Copper RTV so I plan to apply some for added sealing power.

Last edited:

Yeah, that thin rubber seal design is like the intake seals, and those over time shrunk and leaked ... P0171 etc. Adding Ultra copper or black would take care of it for a long time.

When I get around to replacing the t-stat housing on my '01 ST I'm planning on using the one-piece metal t-stat housing (I show it selling for $149 from Simmons).

I've a big fan of RTV in general. Love the Ultra Black for things like diff covers and oil pans. I use the Red RTV on most things, I've never use the blue on anything (blue it's supposed to be for water/coolant related applications, but I used it once and didn't like it). The only thing I've used Copper RTV on is for things like headers. Isn't the Copper supposed to be for extreme heat applications?

Update:
After rebuilding the engine in my '01 ST this past Spring, I bought and installed the Simmons Autosportz aluminum t-stat housing. I also bought their new bolts, sensor/sender clips and in addition to the lower rubber-band O-ring seal I added the new Simmons composite lower gasket. Super happy with the housing. A quality piece that should remain leak free forever. Note: Be sure to order the correct top rad hose piece for your application. They are not all the same and very in angle from model to model.

Last edited:

The black/blue/red/grey are similar in temp ranges, the red supposedly more for intake/coolant stuff, and copper is the highest temp. They are usable in the same places basically, the grey says sensor safe, maybe it is tougher when cured, I hadn't noticed any real difference in use, except the copper, for headers, collector flanges etc. Amazon has a couple of them for under $5 with the subscription service, I have the black come every six months.

When I get around to replacing the t-stat housing on my '01 ST I'm planning on using the one-piece metal t-stat housing (I show it selling for $149 from Simmons).

I've a big fan of RTV in general. Love the Ultra Black for things like diff covers and oil pans. I use the Red RTV on most things, I've never used the blue on anything (blue it's supposed to be for water/coolant related applications, but I used it once and didn't like it). The only thing I've used Copper RTV on is for things like headers. Isn't the Copper supposed to be for extreme heat applications?

Yes but I like overkill when it comes to RTV. I have never had a leak since I started using Ultra copper. It is ugly though. LOL

Yes but I like overkill when it comes to RTV. I have never had a leak since I started using Ultra copper. It is ugly though. LOL

Funny, I should take a picture of my chimney. I started using Ultra Black on a few of the seams when I had some cracks showing through the common roof caulking junk. I put the RTV around the satellite cables going into the flashing, and later added some more Ultra Copper, and lately Ultra Black along the flashing top edge seam. The old original stuff is like foam and porous after 30 years. The RTV is still tough and not letting go, some is about 12+ years old. I love it compared to the crap in roofing sections of the hardware stores.

I've got Ultra Black along the top edge of three of my rear quarter glass windows, they used to leak. It's not pretty, grey versus the OEM rubber edges, but it stops the leaking(easier than R&Ring the glass).

@4pointslow We went around on this sometime ago, and most thought the housing (plastic OEM) was only 2 pieces. Mine was leaking from the flat seam, so I tore it apart and took pics and posted them. The bottom portion aside from the top with the hose neck is difficult to make in one piece. That may be why the Simmons part is so much more costly. I replaced mine with a plastic one from O'Reilly, and so far, so good. At 162K and no serious failure yet (trans., chain guides, etc.) I expect the thermostat housing will still be OK when the big one comes......imp

I have not installed either one yet but I must say the Austek one looks better than the OEM plastic one.
Of course I have already used a couple of the Simmons housings and I can confirm they are great! I have not had any problems with any of Simmons ones yet and I don't expect to. Just was wondering about the Austek unit so I decided to try one out. I will post when I get around to installing it.
If it fails I already have a Simmons one to replace it.

So I ordered one the 2 piece one

Installed it didn't use the thermostat China crap or the lower housing bolts that came with it had no markings so I reused the ford ones
I rtv d the lower housing together let it sit for a day I also used a felpro lower gasket and upper
Installed it today

We shall see if it leaks

People told me the top would not fit so I had to try all I had to do was rotate the hose I little bit fit great

20180708_130555.jpg

20180708_130459.jpg

Thank you so much for posting this. If it has any problems in the future please come back and leave a post here if you could.
I ended up using the Simons Auto Sports one because with my luck, if the Austek didn't hold up it would go out in the winter when I don't like to work on my vehicles.
I still want to use the Austek one on something else for testing purposes, maybe my 1998 4 door that has 295,000 miles on it. (if the plastic one starts leaking again)

Good choice on not using the supplied thermostat (I don't trust it either) and using RTV between the two halves etc.

I will update but pray to the ford gods it will be fine

Still going strong
It's so nice to open the hood and not smell coolant

thanks for sharing we are looking into metal housings for the thermo now on a couple of SOHC engines in the shop. I know one guy who has the $80 metal Ebay unit, started leaking after a year. Easily fixed I am sure but maybe worth the extra $$$$ for the Simmons

I used the original gasket in between the housing where it's split but I also used water pump /thermostat housing rtv
I don't think it will leak anytime soon

I didn't buy the Simmons because frankly I don't want to spend $ 150 on it

This was kinda an experiment I have had so much problems with the plastic ones

But this one is nice and the machine finishing is nicer than the Simmons the casting looks cleaner
and the way I rtv ed it together was clean

Now don't get me wrong the Simmons is nicer because it's one piece but price to high for me
To just be experimenting with

Ditto, I like these ideas. I'll have my SOHC torn down soon too, I'll decide then if the original parts are worth keeping in it. Mine hadn't leaked by 77,450 miles, and I haven't noticed any leaks yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ditto, I like these ideas. I'll have my SOHC torn down soon too, I'll decide then if the original parts are worth keeping in it. Mine hadn't leaked by 77,450 miles, and I haven't noticed any leaks yet.
Trust in me man get a metal one or you will regret it

Back