1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

4.0 Sohc overheats under load.Fan Clutch?

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by biggiesize, July 27, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. biggiesize

biggiesize Active Member

City, State:
    Martinsville,Va
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1999 sport
    My 99 sport runs fine unless the engine is under a load.If I am out on the interstate it does fine but if I have the a/c on in the city or climbing a hill,the temp gage shoots up.The fan clutch feels the same no matter if the engine is hot or cold.Could that be my problem?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. scdix50

scdix50 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    New Castle, Delaware
    2008 XLT
    When the engine is cold, you should have some noticeable drag when turned by hand. If you have never changed it, now would be a good time to. When you do make the change, get the one for severe duty. You can really hear it when it kicks in.

4. drbenz

drbenz Active Member

City, State:
    High Point, NC
    2000 EB 5.0
    While the fan clutch may need to be replaced realize that it's there mainly for low speed driving. When you are driving at speed the air across the radiator is all that is needed to cool the engine. If the radiator is stopped up internally it can't cool under a load and because it may stay cool in the area in front of the fan clutch thermostat the fan clutch may not opperate even if it is ok!

5. svt4cam

svt4cam Active Member

City, State:
    The Wilds of New Jersey
    00 XLT, 02 Sport, 03 XLT
    Just as an fyi I have had brand new thermostats that did not open correctly in the past. As a result I always boil a new thermostat in a pan of water on the stove to check function before installing. In these times of more chinese parts this little step becomes doubly important.

6. FLwireman

FLwireman Member

City, State:
    DeFuniak Springs, FL
    '93 Xploder
    As a Followup to what drbenz noted, the radiator has to have good flow. I have been chasing a cooling problem on my '93 Ed B for a while. I thought the new fan clutch has fixed it, because the guage had stopped going all over the place. Unfortunately it still over heated with the guage in normal range. The transmission puked out the front seal and now the front pump is bad (according to the only transmission guy in this little town. $1350.00 is my quote. OUCH!!!

7. Lube

Lube Active Member

City, State:
    Oklahoma
    95 XLT
    Either a plugged radiator or a stuck thermostat.

8. biggiesize

biggiesize Active Member

City, State:
    Martinsville,Va
    1999 sport
    I replaced the fan clutch,water pump,thermostat and serp belt last weekend.Still doing the same thing.I ordered a new radiator and it should be in tomorrow.Hopefully that will fix the issue.

9. drbenz

drbenz Active Member

City, State:
    High Point, NC
    2000 EB 5.0
    I hate to tell you this now but the fast way to check the radiator to see if it is stopped up is to run the engine long enough to get it up to temp and then shut it off and reach past the fan blades to touch the engine side of the radiator, it should be pretty evenly hot with no much cooler spots (why do they almost always occur right in front of the fan!).

We Support Our Troops!