1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

4.0 sohc swap to 4.0 ohv

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by CrazedMomOf4NY, April 28, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. CrazedMomOf4NY

CrazedMomOf4NY New Member

City, State:
    Alexander, NY
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2008 mercury mountaineer
    I just purchased a 98 explorer xlt sans engine, Stock it had the 4.0 sohc.
    I have a 98 xl with 4.0 ohv.

My ohv is still running strong but the NY salt ate her body all to hell.
    The sohc is from South Carolina and is rust free. I want to put my ohv in it.

Here is my conundrum, when it comes to putting an ohv into a vehicle wired for sohc only obstacle I've run into so far is the new truck has a wire my old truck did not. A Green and white wire that according to my Haynes manual is for the crankshaft positioner. But I can't find the same wire for the ohv in the manual.
    What the frig

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 974X4BLACKSPORT

974X4BLACKSPORT Active Member

City, State:
    hudson
    BLACK 1997 SPORT 4 BY 4
    Use the computer and wire harness for the OHV engine also. Since you have the donor vehicle, everything you need is there, you just have to swap it to the other truck. Basically remove everything SOHC, and install everything OHV. The radiator is different too. I would swap the fuel tanks with fuel pumps also. Double check any wire connections with a wire diagram to make sure the connectors are pinned the same, with FORD, sometimes you never know, bu being they are the same year, you have that going for you.

4. CrazedMomOf4NY

CrazedMomOf4NY New Member

City, State:
    Alexander, NY
    2008 mercury mountaineer
    I may be wrong about the wire being for crankshaft. Farking diagram is hard to read. Can't actually find anything that says green and white wire. Gonna have to take another look.

5. AP9

AP9 Active Member

City, State:
    Chicago SW suburbs
    2000 XLT 4WD, 4.0L OHV V6
    Knock sensor? If I recall correctly, the OHV lacked one, unlike the SOHC.