4.0 SOHC Timing Noise | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not buying it for mine. It is too difficult to do a quick swap out (on the upper) on a 1997 Explorer compared to the later model configurations. Sometimes cheap, cheap is too cheap :laugh:

Quick update: Still no ticking !

Yeeyeee

Quick update. I've been another 100 miles and the manual tensioner seems to be doing fine. I was looking on Ebay and the price has dropped from $64- to $59- and then I found a pair for $80- + $7- shipping. Doesn't look like they come with the gasket/s however you can re-use your original factory washer/seal.
Polaris XP1000 Manual Timing Chain Tensioner | eBay

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Quick update. I've been another 100 miles and the manual tensioner seems to be doing fine. I was looking on Ebay and the price has dropped from $64- to $59- and then I found a pair for $80- + $7- shipping. Doesn't look like they come with the gasket/s however you can re-use your original factory washer/seal.
Polaris XP1000 Manual Timing Chain Tensioner | eBay

Interesting. I hope that keeps working great for you, and look forward to more reviews later.

Excellent!
I have a pair of these Ebay specials downstairs and a 2005 SOHC engine with low miles...once I get a project to put the engine in I will do similar. We have decided to put a V8 into both of our sport tracs so project manual tensioner SOHC has been delayed a couple of months
Way to go! Keep us posted and swap out the other head ASAP!! LOL

does the front chain eventually start making noise ? It's amazing how quiet it has been since swapping the rear tensioner and the access hole that I made in the apron was really handy for a quick adjustment. I turned the wheels hard left and it took just a couple of minutes to adjust. I had someone in the drivers seat at the key to keep from running back and forth. I may order another one soon and put in the portable toolbox so when I go shopping for a 4.0 powered SOHC Explorer...could do a quick swap to see if an old high mileage one would quiet down
:burnout:

yes the drivers side cassette can get noisy as well
So can the main tensioner on the front chain and the balance shaft tensioner.... don't get me started
Luckily those can be fixed through the timing cover

The main thing on the SOHC you want to avoid to have a long engine life is the rear chain guides failing, everything else can be serviced with the engine in.

Ok it's on fun time

20181001_162512.jpg

Installed it adjusted it and it did not quite my noise at idle so I can rule the noise at idle out as chain noise. So the noise that all these rebuilt engines have at idle ca be ruled out as slack in the chains.

I. Reinstalled the ford one and am saving this manual one in case the chain's stretch

I am sure that the guides in most cases are fine until the chains stretch
rattle on startup
the tensioner can't keep up gets fully extended that's when the guide breaks
The pre oiler solves the start up rattling
But if yours rattled on start up this is a fix for you as long as your guide is not broke

The way I installed it was
Screw in the new tensioner
I then rotated the crank to number one top dead center this seems to remove the tension on the slack side of the guide
I used a 10 mm nut driver to adjust the tension

The way I did it was turn in the adjuster it turns easy for a while then I got a helper to start it up while idling I used 2 fingers to turn the nut driver with constant ....very little force... it kinds ratcheted it's self up when all said and done it had maby 2 inch pounds of force on it to adjust while running

I can say that I am very happy I tried the manual tensioner
I now KNOW 100% the sounds my truck make in the vids at the beginning of this thread are normal and these engines are noisy at idle
It was the stigma the famous death rattle that had me worried

Update on manual tensioner install. September 5th I installed the manual tensioner in the rr head of the 1997 4.0. I have only one time gone back and re-adjusted. It seems to be doing well so much that I don't think about it.
Donalds, how is yours doing ?

Update on manual tensioner install. September 5th I installed the manual tensioner in the rr head of the 1997 4.0. I have only one time gone back and re-adjusted. It seems to be doing well so much that I don't think about it.
I put the ford one back in
My wife don't want me to void our warranty
But I have to say I was pleasantly surprised
To see it worked fine
My pre oiler solves the original problematic tensioner problems
How ever if it ever starts to rattle at any time I am gonna permanently install it
But I don't think it will

Do you have a before and after video of how your truck runs?

I've had my 1999 Explorer 4.0 SOHC professionally rebuilt with the stipulation that I would have to install the timing components myself - which I did using the OTC timing kit and a new timing kit with balance shaft tensioner and chain from Evergreen (which is apparently not worth buying) and have had the same noise after doing it twice.

The first time I probably drove the truck 25 miles and was too nervous that I was about to destroy a $2000 rebuild and put it in the garage and pulled the engine within a week or so of parking it. When I pulled it everything looked normal other than the balance shaft chain tensioner which was rubbing the chain on the edge. I ordered another one which also turned out to be Evergreen brand and noticed it also did not mount properly, so I bought a $30 Ford tensioner, and it fit perfectly. I also bought both Ford brand hydraulic tensioners and installed them while it was out.

Well, I reinstalled the engine and it still has the same timing metal on metal rubbing noise from under the engine and I'm beside myself. I'll post a youtube link of it running below. A few small details/thoughts: everything on the engine has been replaced/rebuilt except the cams and lash adjusters/lifters, the crank was perfect, all new bearings, pistons, oil pump (ford brand), new oil pump drive/camshaft sync, I mean everything was done, so I don't think the noise would be anything other than a timing noise.

Any insight would be appreciated. I have a neighbor that's a Ford tech with 20 + years that I'm going to have look at it AGAIN. The first time

he said it almost had to be a timing noise and in part was right considering the condition of the balance shaft tensioner.

From today:
why did you delete all your videos now no one can benefit from this very good thread

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was able to make the engine in my truck very quiet with m1 extended performance oil
Did the ohv style oil change filter then oil as fast as you can and it was still normal engine sounds but after 500 miles quiet it's real quiet

I was on a hunt for this sounds we all were hearing on our new engines I removed the right side valve cover and no damage to the guides .....I thought I broke SOMEthing because it got that quiet...the oil did it May want to give this a try

Back